Universal ICEY (By X.D. Network Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Oct 20, 2017.

1. hoodwinkedfool

hoodwinkedfool Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Fantastic game, but it really needs mfi support

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Got nothing to really say about this other than that it's a pleasure to say that iOS has a couple of incredible brawlers between this and Dusk: An Elysian Tale. If you have any sort of love for the latter (and you should), just blindly buy this; you won't be disappointed.

3. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Let s hope it comes later

4. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Is this game linear-ish ? or made in a metroidvania style like like Shantae and Dust?

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #25 L.Lawliet, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Wow, this game is incredible. Just bought it and got really addicted.

The story / interface elements are fascinating. The description said it's very meta and I can see why. It's basically kind of "trippy" as far as the story goes.

The game play is nothing short of stellar. I'm a huge 2d hack slash fan and this is probably the best gameplay wise I've ever played on iOS. It's ridiculously smooth. The attacks and movements are so fast and fluid that if you screw up, it's pretty much on you. Actually most of the time I get trashed around is when I accidentally hit the wrong buttons. I need to play more to get a feel for the buttons since I keep hitting the wrong buttons (nothing to do with the UI, just the frantic pace of the action). I can't really find any fault with the gameplay. The animations are gorgeous, the combos are awesome, and the finishing moves are so satisfying. With some groups of enemies you can just combo like crazy and wreck the entire screen without taking a single hit, which feels almost like a perfect run of Devil May Cry. A very big positive is that going between sections in an area has pretty much no load time. The only load times are when you go to a brand new area. This makes the game run very smooth.

It's hard to tell how the game is set up, as it seems to be in stages that you can select freely, and replay to get more cash. Oddly, the story dialogue will replay when you go back a stage but then your money and upgrades and story progress are always kept. I believe the auto-saves are at the beginning of each of these areas. I'll need to test it more. There are multiple graphic settings that should help battery life but I haven't tested the game off my charger yet so I don't have any input.

The game set me to "easy mode" after giving me some strange choices. I'd prefer normal but I'm fine with seeing how the game unfolds. The entire premise is very mysterious but mix that with hack & slash perfection and that's a recipe for success. I can't wait to play more. And I just have to add, I absolutely love the icon art.

Btw, TotalBiscuit completely recommended this game in the past as I found on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWtX1FQ_U64) . And I have to agree with him. This even feels perfect in my pocket as a pick up and play. These are the premium games I'd totally pay for!

Edit: I encountered a pretty bad sound glitch (a repeated blaring sound over and over) that made me need to hard reset the game but that doesn't change my first impressions of the game itself.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Is it buttons only for fighting ? Or swipes as well ? (Prefer buttons myself )

7. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Buttons only. I believe some moves use the directional pad for aiming. I don't really like swiping myself.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for the reply. Buying now

9. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    The combat in this game is incredible. Absolutely awesome game. And perfect controls.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Wow. A very impressive game. Highly polished. Only done the first leave so far and it’s great. Haven’t come to the narrator yet

Love the ‘system crash’. But so far it’s excellent. So many good games lately !!

11. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    The combat are really good, but i found the game kinda like unstopable adventure with no hub, no HQ, base, npc,... and have nothing more than relentess combat and developer voice told you to stick to the arrow. It's feel really empty and boring after half an hour. It's an opposite with Dust with more interactive character, world and story.

12. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Well I didn't get bored. I was intrigued at story and wanted to keep playing and couldn't stop. I want to know what's going on exactly. I prefer this much more than Dust. The aesthetics, sound, and animations are all better imo. But that's based on preference.

Here's a tip. You can ignore the narrator. Things might get more interesting.

13. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Agreed. I also am enjoying this more than Dust. Actually think even the combat is more enjoyable (which is saying a lot because Dust has excellent combat as well).

14. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah the combat in this game feels really satisfying. Multiple dashes in the air (most lenient dashes ever in a hack and slash!), then using multiple slow mo insta-kill moves is great. I'm more worried that the game will end soon since I'm playing it so much :(

Just another reminder, You can choose if you want to trust the narrator or not..

I also don't like the English narrator, I switched it to Chinese :p

15. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    And just like that I traded my coffee for this amazing piece of brawl gaming glee # Thanks for the recommend, definitely knocked off on the right side of the fence ;)

16. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Finished and playing again for a true ending. Amazing game love these types of games.

17. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

So far this looks good. I haven't hit the "buy" button because I'm hesitant as to how much horse power this game needs.

I'm currently using an iPhone 6 and I'll probably have to stick to it for at least one more year, so I want to know how this game performs in said device.

Thanks for any feedback.

18. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Finished it but I'm going for the different paths and endings now. So here's my overall points since many people are still on the fence. Of course, these are all my opinions so you may have a different one.

Pros:
    - Smoothest 2D hack and slash on mobile hands down
    - Incredible controls and UI
    - Beautiful animation, art, and a giant landscapes
    - Best free dash system I've seen on an action game
    - Mysterious story with weird meta design
    - Hidden paths across all levels
    - Easy to learn, multiple difficulties
    - Decent replayability
    - Multiple graphics settings

Cons:
    - Strange save / load feature
    - Low customization
    - No loot or items
    - Fairly short
    - Terrible English voice acting

19. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Crossing my fingers for mfi support!

20. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    Have to disagree with this one. I think the tone and way the narrator speaks is on purpose. It may not be fantastic but it’s not terrible for what it was going for.