Universal Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (By Overhaul Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    #61 Savant, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
    Yeah, if its really combat systems you're after then I would think turn-based RPGs would be the way to go. What they did with these games (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale) back then was open it up to a whole lot of people especially those that thought turn-based was too boring or not too "action-y" or realistic for their liking. In short, it catered to those who were D&D afficionados and those that weren't.

Also, the next iterations of D&D sort of addressed the concerns of a simplistic combat system and options available during fighting (noted especially for fighters / non-spellcasters who had no additional and interesting options during actual combat).

But - treat this for what it is, one of the best D&D implementations together with the Baldur's Gate series, and treat combat as a party-based affair with the strategies coming from your options from character-building and all your party members, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed and won't go wrong with this or the Baldur's Gate series.

2. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Maybe they'll make a Neverwinter Nights and port it to iOS next. That'd be something

3. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    Okay, bought it. Definitely too small on iPhone 6 and definitely playable on iPhone 6 regardless. :) too bad that the devs couldn't be bothered to redraw the UI buttons for 2014.

Now, I'm old enough to remember that there was an update that enabled numbers showing in the text box for damage done and received. Now it just say that you are attacking. Maybe it was a hack instead of an update that I remember but I miss seeing the stats in chat. Has anyone found an option for turning this on in the iOS-version.

4. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Used to play BGEE on the 5S. Now THAT was small and definitely near unplayable

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man the Paladin kind of sucks. Matter of fact most of my group sucks. My mage like casts 1 spell then stands there because thats all he knows. Do I just keep trucking along to learn new ones? The rest of my guys either do some melee or ranged attacking but none of them have many spells is that normal? The difficulty is kind of hard too even if its on core difficulty. Anyone have any tips for me?

6. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    Casters need to use slings while not casting spells. I know it's weird but it's vital in this game. In fact all mages need to become master sling shooters :)

Btw, you think Paladin suck? Try Bard. Lol

Also, the difficulty is part of the game. It's just frustrating because we been fed with easy mode games the past ten years :) part of the fun is to reload and try different tactics! :D

7. Martymcsmartie

Martymcsmartie New Member

May 11, 2014
    Having only just started playing Baldurs Gate, I'm looking and seeing a game that looks the same.....like...a lot. UI looks identical, is there much difference in controls etc.....not sure I'd prob buy until I finish BGEE I suppose....which I haven't given the time to yet...

8. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks man that is one thing I screwed up because I have my mage using a staff... Lol

9. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Playing on my 6. I have big hands but finding it enjoyable and very playable. Auto-pause on sighting enemies helps a lot.

My biggest problem is getting item descriptions to come up. Is it a long touch for those? Sometimes they come up after a tap, sometimes not.

10. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    How do you auto pause on encountering? Descriptions is tap, hold and let go.

11. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    It's in the Gameplay options. There is a section for auto pause and you can set all different rules there.

12. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Sweet that might help on my 6 plus.

13. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Geez my mage dies in like 1 hit... He is in the back casting or using his sling but if he gets targeted by anyone he is toast.

14. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Hope it ain't to small on iPhone 6 plus. How is it compared to boulders gate?

It says it's not iptimised for iPhone 6 plus!

15. Savant

Savant Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    #75 Savant, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Get the level 1 Armor spell whose duration is a number of hours, that will set your mage's AC to respectable levels. There's also a level 1 Barrier spells that lasts a few turns that sets your AC even as high as splint mail.

In these D&D games, the first levels are always the hardest.. much more so for mages. But once they reach higher levels - they are gonna rock!

16. Noix81

Noix81 Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Hi everyone,

IPad Mini first generation is it ok to run this game with 30fps and without crash?

How is the touchscreen vs mouse?

Last thing, Icewind is it better than Baldur's Gate?

Thanks,

17. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    When you start up the game your are presented with the option to play Icewind Dale or Heart of Winter. Do I play Heart of Winter after I finish Icewind Dale or is Heart of Winter the whole game (expansions included)?

18. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Thanks man!

19. yker34

yker34 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Awesome game

I've played this game back in 2000 and was a favorite. It was instabuy. I love every little detail. Perfect for iPad. I beg you Beamdog: Planet Scape Tormet Enhanced, no matter if 14.95 or 19.95, I'll buy!

20. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    For Beamdog Dev...please add Subtitles on videos/cinemas..thanks