Universal Icarus: Escape from Crete – Mythological 8-Bit Arcade Game [Pre-Order, Release Dec 11]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by breban1, Nov 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breban1

breban1 Well-Known Member

#1 breban1, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    Fly Through the Sky as Icarus in an Endless Greek Mythological Adventure!

Howdy all!

I'd like to introduce to you my newest game, Icarus: Escape from Crete!

Official Trialer:

Icarus: Escape from Crete
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Scheduled Release: December 11th, 2020

THE STORY
    Imprisoned in a tower by King Minos of Crete, you must make your escape before it's too late. Your father, Daedalus, has crafted a set of wings for you to begin your adventure!

As Kid Icarus, you must fly through the great columns of Greece, but be prepared to conquer classic mythological beasts along the way!

Fly too close to the sun, and risk burning your wings - falling to your demise. Fly too close to the treacherous waters below and you are sure to succumb to the ancient water spirits.

Stay on your path to defeat Harpies, The Phoenix, Medusa, and more to finally gain freedom from the evil King Minos.

AT A GLANCE
    • Tons of Boss Encounters
    • Simple 1-Tap Controls
    • A Challenging Adventure
    • Worldwide Leader Boards

GAMEPLAY TRAILER (GIF)

[​IMG]

Scheduled Release: December 11th, 2020

Available for Pre-Order on the App Store:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/icarus-escape-from-crete/id1538290032

Thanks for taking a look!

2. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    It feels a bit weird that you chose Icarus out of Greek myth characters who didn’t fight any monsters.

3. breban1

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll admit that I took a little bit of, I guess you'd call it artistic license when it comes to the mythology. BUT, I will add that Icarus doesn't actually fight any monsters in the game. Icarus is escaping Crete, so the object is to avoid all of the obstacles/creatures in order to escape.

The creatures do attack Icarus, but the only defense for Icarus is to maneuver around them. There isn't an "attack" button or anything like that. It's a simple game, with just "tapping" to fly as the controls.

If you take a look at the GIF trailer, you'll see Icarus flying to avoid the attacks. I also just added "lives" to the game, so it's not 1-hit and done like it is in the trailer.

I'm hoping that the bending of mythology doesn't distract from the fun. I *think* most players can look past it, and just play the game as an action/adventure type game. That's my hope anyways!

Jstorm likes this.
  4. Jstorm

Jstorm Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2020
    Male
    Employed
    Earth
    Ah, ok. I though the game is a shm’up since the description says defeat and conquer.

breban1 likes this.
  5. breban1

Definitely not a shoot 'em up.

I will give some thought to the word "conquer", I don't want to confuse/mislead by using the wrong word.

Thanks again for the feedback!

6. breban1

Wanted to let everyone know that I pushed back the release date to December 11th so I can fix some bugs and hopefully add a couple features.

I'll try to post some pics when/if I add new stuff.

Sorry for the delay, and thanks for looking!

7. breban1

Hi all!

Wanted to share the latest development on Icarus!

There is now a Campaign mode and an Endless mode (unlockable via Campaign).

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also added Pets into the game! Pets are unlockable via Endless mode. Every time you beat a boss, you earn a "mini" boss version for a pet.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I still hope to release on Dec 11th, but it will be tight.

Please support me by pre-ordering today! Thanks!

8. breban1

Howdy TA'ers!

Just wanted to let everyone know that Icarus: Escape from Crete is on-schedule to be released TOMORROW!

I also made an official release trailer, give it a look:

If you have any questions, please reply here and I'll get back to you ASAP.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Wish this was like a horizontal shooter which would have been great rather than a Flappy Bird clone. Think it would have worked really well with some of the enemies you see on screen, different weapons etc

10. breban1

Thanks for the input!

I see where you are coming from, but I don't really consider Icarus a Flappy Bird clone as the only thing it has in common is "tap to fly". Icarus has a short story, bosses, unlocks, etc.

Even though I mentioned that Icarus isn't a shoot'em up, I'd consider it a shoot'em up without the shooting if that makes sense. Avoidance is HUGE in shmups, and this is key in Icarus too.

Just wanted to throw out there that the game is pretty difficult, so it is more for arcade-purists. I wanted the game to be accessible and with simple controls, but at the same time challenging and varied enough to keep players coming back for more.

I have on my TODO list adding "normal" and "hard" arcade game modes if people think it is a bit too tough (only time will tell). It also isn't pay-to-win at all, no coins, timers, etc. and only 1 in-app purchase to remove ads.

11. breban1