iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Probably not a good idea to hard-code the diagonals. If you're doing a quick UP-RIGHT-UP maneuver it'll likely fall apart quickly. I can explain how I handle it in Silverfish in more detail if any devs would find that useful, though I can't claim my method is perfect so I'm open to other techniques as well.

2. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Member

Jul 31, 2011
    I don't think I can currently - my iPad 2 and my wife's iPad are both up to date at 4.3.5, and none of them have been jailbroken before hence I don't have the blobs required.

Nevermind, there's plenty more to play until then :)

3. goldenegg

goldenegg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    #63 goldenegg, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    What about using your method and then hard-coding for the case where you hit a diagonal from a neutral position?

Your original iPad at 4.3.5 can be jailbroken, but it will be a tethered jailbreak. No luck on the iPad 2 though.

4. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Cool, thanks.

Just done it - now to find iMame and spend the rest of the day pretending it's 1986!

The only thing the iCade is missing is a cigarette holder :p

5. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Correction, should read ' now to spend the rest of the day trying to get imame working! ' :)

Its not difficult to install however if you are new to JB you may have difficulty finding the right directory to place the roms, that is assuming you can find compatible roms. If you get stuck pm me, I'm no expert but I recently went through it myself.

6. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Oh no it's all cool thanks :)

I used ifunbox to navigate to the correct folder, and then I used the clrmamepro dat file there an applied it to my ROM collection - then uploaded using ifunbox again and all done :)

Just had to CHMOD 777 the app and ROMS folder and all done.

I very quickly ran Commando and R-Type and almost creamed my pants!

7. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Wish you had setup imame before me, you could have helped me then!:D

8. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Yeah you're pretty much stuck hard-coding that situation. I just use the order of events sent by the iCade in those cases. Not sure if forcing up/down would be better (maybe less so for a landscape game) but either way it's gonna hit the wrong direction at least some of the time.

9. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Member

Jul 31, 2011
    I wonder if the OP wouldn't mind adding Battle Squadron to this list. The devs confirmed it here.

tyvm.

10. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    updated. wish i could be at home playing my icade right now :(.

11. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Sideways racing just went on sale, down to 69p from £1.99. Typically I only bought it a few days ago but I'm not bitter, its well worth it.

12. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    You can add Match Panic to the upcoming list.

13. parranoya

parranoya Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    The thing I get paid for
    CANADIA
    Hmmm

I wonder if any of the devs who have implemented the iCade into their games have seen a rise in profit recently?

I have alreay bough every game that is compatable with the iCade. These are games that I most likely would not have bought otherwise.

Cant wait to see this list grow..would be fun for some games like Zenonia...that use a joystick and a few buttons and all the fighting games out there. Technically anything with on screen joystick could be included.yeah!

14. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    @ Retro Dreamer (Velocispider devs):

Can you please make it so we can use the black buttons for fire as well as the reds? Thanks!

15. DarrenG

DarrenG Member

#75 DarrenG, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
    New member, registered to participate in this iCade thread.

Got my iCade at long last last week and must say it's every bit as good as I'd hoped.

Can't quite understand why devs can't shout from the rooftops about adding iCade support though? Does anyone understand the issue? Seems rather silly to me that they can't make a huge song and dance about this.

As it is, like others, I have bought every iCade compatible app available. Many of these are apps that I would not otherwise have bought.

Fave so far is Mos Speedrun.

One quick plea to devs, can you consider hiding any on-screen controls for iCade users when you implement support and congrats to those devs who have been so quick to act.

Would love a good galaxians or scramble type game.

16. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

We're telling everyone we can :), small developers have a limited number of rooftops we can shout from.

I don't know why we can't mention the iCade in the App Store though, I'm not sure what the reason for that is.

17. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    ION Audio's "SDK" specifically says not to mention it in the app or app description. Not sure if it's ION who doesn't want it mentioned (wordmark issues) or for fear of getting rejected by Apple - or both. The SDK says ION will maintain a list of games on their website but I don't see anything other than the original 4 they listed at launch. Hopefully they're working on that - they did retweet my Silverfish release tweet, so that was nice.

Honestly the whole iOS controller situation is a bit of a hack job at the moment. Pretending to be a bluetooth keyboard is not an optimal interface and has a host of issues with the OS that can easily break in an update (some stuff has already broken in iOS 5 but I can't say what). Would be nice to see someone step up with a proper MFi registered controller with a proper SDK and the potential for analog inputs. Or if hell freezes over an unrestricted bluetooth API from Apple.

That's a SECRET! :p It'll also be a free Universal update :)

18. goldenegg

goldenegg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Can you elaborate on that? This is the first I've heard anyone mention issues with the iCade and iOS 5. It works find with my friend's iPad, which has the latest beta installed.

19. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    A lot of apps have "always on" iCade support - even the Atari app turns it on automatically when you hit play - but when an iCade isn't connected the OS thinks it should show the software keyboard. Through some trickery (and relying on undocumented behaviour) you can make it so the keyboard doesn't show. Lets just say a certain new iOS 5 keyboard feature makes relying on undocumented behaviour a little less reliable ;)

20. waxernz

waxernz New Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Is icade essentially a bluetooth keyboard. Could one in theory just get a keyboard and wire in the parts. I ask this because the shipping to nz looks to be more than the cost of the unit itself. I have some spare arcade buttons lying around with switches(how do most keyboards work) so all I would need is a joystick and some knowledge of what each button is assigned to. Or is there more to it.