iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    #41 Bmamba, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
  3. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

4. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Update is live. Tried it out, and it is awesome.

5. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
  6. Lesbird

Lesbird Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Emerald Mine is out now with iCade support. One caveat, you have to tap the screen when the level loads to start the game - this is being fixed in the next update.

Set control mode to "arcade".

- Les

7. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

We still have an endless mode planned at some point, and we'd love to add a lot more stuff. It all depends on whether we can increase sales though, hopefully the new free version will help with that (free version is coming soon).

8. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Just wanted to note that Silverfish MAX is now available (release thread, app store link)

iCade support is always on so just tweak a control to light it up and go. Works in the menus too:

Code:
    Stick: Move/Select Mode
    Top Red button: Activate Powerup
    Top White button: Pause/Resume/Play
    Bottom White button: Main Menu (on game over screen)

9. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    :) it's very good! i love it..

10. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Sideways racing also now includes icade support.

11. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Just got my iCade today...it's awesome, i really can't wait for more apps to support it.
    I really hope Sega considers adding support for its retro games...but i have little faith that they will :(

12. goldenegg

goldenegg Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    #52 goldenegg, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
    This thread really needs to be a sticky!

I got my iCade last week and as early bday gift from my wife. I absolutely LOVE it and can't wait for more games to be available. I really hope some more classic gaming devs support it in their apps (I'm looking at you Namco, Konami and Capcom).

I only have two issues with the iCade:

1 - The joystick isn't the greatest quality. Maybe someone will find an easy way to replace it.

2- Some games have trouble with the diagonals, which become a deadspot in the control (Emerald Mine comes to mind). Hopefully this is something easy to fix in code, as not all games suffer from this.

13. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    It's actually pretty tricky to get an 8-way joystick to feel right with games that use 4-way movement.

I ran into this problem with Silverfish MAX, and ended up using a best-guess approach rather than just ignoring the diagonals. E.g. If your last direction was UP, and the next move is UP-LEFT, the game figures you want to go LEFT. Conversely if that second move was DOWN-LEFT it assumes you want to go DOWN, since you would've been far more likely to hit UP-LEFT or LEFT if you really wanted to go left from that position. This kinda falls apart when you hit a diagonal from the neutral position since it really can't guess in that case, but it's much better than just ignoring the corners altogether.

14. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hello!

Directed to this thread via Twitter :)

I got my iCade yesterday too, and I'm utterly in love with it. Build quality is superb (I quite like the joystick/button build) and it's just beautiful to look at.

Thanks to this thread, I now have many games for it, including the superb Velocispider!

I've been nagging Cope-Com (the developers of the brilliant Battle Squadron) to support iCade, and I think they've finally agreed just to shut me up :)

Have a look at this comment thread on their site. I hope they keep their promise, as I also hope many other developers will make use of this genius device. How about an iCade compatible R-Type? I think that'll kill me with Joy :)

15. goldenegg

Jul 27, 2011
    I'm actually quite happy with the way Silverfish Max controls with the iCade. It's a good example of iCade support done right.

I think for some games, it would be pretty safe to just assume the diagonals are a standard up/down. I find it's easier to hit left/right on the nose, rather than up/down.

16. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    You can play R-Type through Imame4all if you are jailbroken.

17. Sobtanian

Sobtanian Member

Jul 31, 2011
    I'm not.

Didn't really intend to Jailbreak, but this whole iMame thing is making me seriously consider it :)

18. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Expect several updates for Emerald Mine. I'm constantly trying to get the controls as perfect as I can. I won't quit until I find something that works well.

About the iCade, well I was hoping for a better stick. I've played it with several MAME games (Dig Dug, Mr. DO! to name a few) and it just doesn't seem to be reliable. Frustrating when you move in a direction but it doesn't do what you want. Still, it's a great little cabinet.

- Les

19. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    I too wasn't planning on jailbreaking but it's absolutely worth it just for iMAME4all. I'm quite surprised at how well the emulator plays all the games on the iPad.

- Les

20. goldenegg

Jul 27, 2011
    Glad to hear iCade support in Emerald Mine is being tweaked!

While the joystick on the iCade isn't the best quality, I'm fairly certain the control issues are caused by having an 8-way joystick and playing games which only support 4-way. This is the exact reason joystick restrictor plates are made for real arcade hardware.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think it would be best if devs for 4-way games just choose a direction to assign to the diagonals rather than leaving them as a dead spot. Maybe some tests need to be done to determine what directions are best to assign, but I feel that having the diagonals being up/down would be a decent compromise.