iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. dalekvan

dalekvan Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks for trying it! I am going to improve the touch controls for the folks without an iCade. Try it on the iCade, though, you'll like it a lot more.

Sorry about the crash! I have noticed some issues with iOS 7 before. Are you using 7.0 or 7.1?

2. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    GOBLIN SWORD now has iCade compatibility!!! Rejoice!!! Dust em off and get some fresh batteries!!!

3. dalekvan

dalekvan Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Note, I've updated it for iOS 7, it wasn't working right in iOS 7. And it's free right now, and tomorrow!

http://vector-z.juggleware.com

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
  5. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Super Ox Wars on sale as well.

Jeff Minter + iCade, what's not to love?

6. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
  7. brianunfried

brianunfried Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Found some new games with iCade support

Guns n Bottles
    Bullet Hell Infinite
    HARM Invaders
    Galaxy Invaders Stike Force Alien Hit

8. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks! Always glad to grow my collection. Some of those are fairly recent, too.

9. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Just measured: the new iPad Pro will still fit in both the full iCade cabinet (if you flip the lid to the back) and the iCade Core (but maybe tippier).

Only in portrait, though. (No problem: I can use a different stand for landscape + iCade Core.)

10. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Any issues with iCade on iOS 9? What about Gridlee?

11. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    #2172 soldat7, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Gridlee by itself seems fine, but Gridlee stutters with iCade again. :(

Last time this happened, the fix was to disable the Split Keyboard. I hope someone can find a similar fix!

Edit: After some more time experimenting, while the stuttering is indeed there, it's nowhere near as bad as it was on iOS 8 with Split Keyboard enabled.

12. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    sad to see this icad topic not updated anymore...

13. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    dark incursion seems not working anymore under ios 9 - jump button not working at my end

14. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Just noticed that Mos Speedrun 2 supports iCade :)

15. dalekvan

dalekvan Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Hey Adams Immersive, I've asked this before, but since it's been about a year, and you used a promo code to test...

Will you please add Vector-Z to the iCade-supported list? We've even built our own custom arcade skin for it! Will post pics in a bit.

http://vector-z.juggleware.com

Thanks!
    Alec

16. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I can't edit the list—it's laxking97's thread, so you could try PMing him.

(I don't blame him for not keeping up 100% after making such a thorough list. Review AND download links? Massive work—thanks, laxking! I might consider copying and pasting his list to start my own and adding the new titles—they're not that frequent anymore after all—but only if time passed and it became clear that he didn't want to keep at it.)

But thanks for reminding me to try Vector-Z again... just did (iPad Air, iOS 8) and it's great with iCade!

Tried to leave it a review, too, but there's that App Store bug where it says I don't own it, so I can't :(

P.S. Suggestion for those poor folks who don't own iCades: when using the button controls, allow people to change from left to right without lifting the finger. Then you'd have the lag-free speed of the button controls, AND not have to lift your finger. (Think of how a D-Pad game works: no lifting required.)

17. dalekvan

dalekvan Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. I will try the PM approach.

The App Store thing isn't a bug — Apple recently changed its policy so that free promos couldn't be handed out to paid reviewers. Unfortunately, this also cuts out legitimate reviews like yours. I don't blame them though; it was a big enough problem that they had to do something.

As far as the game itself, thanks for revisiting Vector-Z and your feedback about the controls. It's definitely best on iCade, but I have tried really hard to satisfy the majority of users who only have touch controls. Did you notice that you can switch from "virtual arcade buttons" to "tap and glide"? If it's set to the former, try toggling to the latter in options, and let me know what you think.

18. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I see--interesting. Guess they had to do what they had to do!

For what it's worth, I tried both non-iCade methods:

- Tap and glide had a built-in delay (maybe necessary due to a dead zone to allow you to hold still), so I preferred the buttons.

- But when using the buttons, I'd hold the Left button, then slide my finger to the Right button, and the ship doesn't go right. Feels broken—different from other games that use buttons. If the Right button noticed that I had moved over to it, it would feel correct. (Either way, you'd lift your thumb off all buttons to stop moving.)

19. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #2180 Adams Immersive, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    I just played another Donut game on iCade—one not listed here:

Sunday Lawn Seasons (happens to be on free sale too)

P.S. I also tried iCade with iPad Pro, and as expected, it works. (And those retro games look great big! A few old titles don't launch—probably need an iOS 9 update. Others look blurry—Jeff Minter's especially—but hey, that's a CRT look anyway.) I like that in recent iOS you can swipe up from the bottom to quickly toggle Bluetooth off when you need iCade to release the onscreen keyboard.

- iCade Core holds the Pro in Portrait just fine. Landscape will require you to place a stand behind the Core.

- Full cabinet iCade holds the Pro in Portrait JUST barely (no shell case allowed!) but it holds the top lid up a bit (harmless; or just flip it back). It fits the Pro in Landscape as well, but very precarious—doesn't lean all the way back, and could easily tip forward. A rubber band or cord to keep it from falling would solve that, or the case could be notched to let it lean back if you really wanted.

I might post some pics later.