iPad iBow Hunt v1.5 update released !

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BlazingLizard, Jan 23, 2009.

1. BlazingLizard

BlazingLizard Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    #1 BlazingLizard, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Hey guys,

The latest update to iBow Hunt $0.99 went live on Wednesday. This update brought animating deer, revised scoring system, and rebalanced deer spawn rates.

We plan on doing one more update that will bring online leaderboards to the game.

Thanks,

Blazing Lizard

Click image to enlarge

Attached Files:

2. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    yep i was happy to see the update, it adds an extremely real touch to the game they actually look like they are running...... but i was really disappointed in the fact that all the deer were taken away except for one, o you just shoot the same deer over and over again (it really brings the replay-ability down a lot)...i enjoyed shooting at Rudolf, but nice job dev on the nice and realistic looking animations...

3. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #3 salsamd, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    video?

This title could benefit from a demo video to demonstrate some measure of evolution beyond the infamous iHunt...

4. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    Sound off!

We'll add more deer types with animations.

But what else do you guys want in this game? Now's your chance to sound off!

We want to usurp the infamous iHunt!

5. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #5 DHrox, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009

How about bear attacks, boars, and a critical hit zoom function where time slows down and there is a zoom so you can see the bow impact? Oh, and you can get bit by ticks which brings up a mini-game where you have to pluck the tick off.

6. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Apparently iHunt's average star rating is 2, so it shouldn't be too hard to usurp them.

7. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, but for whatever elusive reason, iHunt is still #27 in the app store, and was historically on the throne for not so brief a stay...

8. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Are you kidding me? That's ridiculous. The Apple Throne of Shovelware has arrived!

9. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    I agree that the archer should be under occasional attack from bears and wild boars that require relatively quick aim and shoot skills. Maybe you should have lives or energy levels, so that if a bear or boar successfully attacks you, you loose energy, which may weaken your archery skills for a period of time.

Also, some deer should be faster/more perceptive than others. SPecifically, some should turn to notice you and try to run faster away, again requiring you to point and shoot more quickly. These kills may garner more points.

10. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    Promo Codes!

Hey guys,

I have 10 promo codes for iBow Hunt!

First come, first serve!

FYI, we're about to roll out another update with a few new additions (Elk, and a super rare creature that truly has to be seen to be believed!)

- Blazing Lizard

11. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    How are you disbursing the promo codes? Via PM?

12. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
  13. BlazingLizard

Jan 23, 2009
    Game Development
    Austin, TX
    All codes have been taken!

Thanks guys!

14. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Thanks for the promo code! I've played for a little while, and I believe this game has much potential. So, I have a few suggestions...
    -more animals and variation between animals of same type, also more environments and the option to choose which environment u want to hunt at
    -different levels which focus on hunting specific animals, such as a level with only birds, which would be particularly challenging to hunt (also levels with variety though)
    -an actual menu from which u could select the various options listed above
    -after a few minutes of play I realized I could continuously fire arrows and drag my right thumb haphazardly to fire destructive spreads and put up huge scores (50,000 or so after a few tries) this is obviously unreslistic so I suggest limited ammo, a short reload time in between shots, or another way to prevent this as it takes away all skill involved
    -maybe an online leaderboard if u could fix the above mentioned

Don't get me wrong, this is a fun game, but with the above changes it would be much better and have more replay value

15. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #15 salsamd, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
    Good suggestions above. Let me add/embelish.

1. Menus add to the professional feel of game. This games needs nice menus with audio in response to keyed inputs.

2. The game currently is target practice. This should be one of the selectable game modes. The other should be competition mode, where you actually have limited #arrows per level, and levels progress in difficulty. And, as stated above, there should be a nominal re-load time. Challenge mode might also have specific number of head or heart shots to achieve, or some sort of perfection goal.

3. Other animals should include ones that come at you in the Z-plane, or off an angle from the Z-plane, such as wild boars, or bears. This would add to the game challenge in the competition mode. In fact, if you fail to kill a bear or boar, your game should end as you would be killed or handicapped in real life. Flying geese would also be another animal to use, but rather than having them flying across the entire screen, they should swoop in and swoop out part way through, making them harder to hit.

All of these animals should be selectable individually or as a group for target practice.

4. I agree that additional backgrounds would be nice, such a pond/lake view. Also the ambience music could be louder and more varied, but scenery specific.

5. I like that a hit in the leg slows down the deer, but missing a slow deer should cause them to react and move faster. (Ideally, turn quickly to look at you, then move faster)

6. I have a hard time shooting anything to the left of the bow. If there a reason for this?

Thank you for the promo code. I really like this game a quick pickup and play, but I would like it to be more, and it can. Great start!!! App Store post to follow. This game is more than two stars in it current iteration!

Issues:

1. The deer spawning is too randomly varied from game to game. Sometimes my aiming is perfect, but there are so few deers that I can't even get close to the high score. At other times, there is a deer frenzy.

2. Some of the deer just move way too slowly.

3. Panning to the left is restricted. Why?