I need a good word puzzle game.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by digitalphil, Nov 29, 2016.

1. digitalphil

digitalphil Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2012
    My 78 year old mother got an iPad recently and she loves it. She enjoys 2 games, Word Academy and 4 pics 1 word. I'm looking for something else she might like. Any suggestions are helpful. Hoping there's some iOS puzzle fans out there with good ideas.

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Can't go wrong with Letterpress.

One of my favorites is an older game that I can't remember the title of off the top of my head. It was kind of like an RPG where you battle different monsters by placing Scrabble tiles on a board. There was also a meta aspect where you unlock letters and add them to a bigger scrabble board as you play through the game. I feel like it had an aztec theme or something like that. It was surprisingly deep and content-rich for a mobile game. Can't believe I forgot the title. Can anyone help?

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    #3 pluto6, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    If she likes scrabble type games - Words with Friends has been a long time favorite.

A personal favorite is SpellPix by Kris Pixton. If she likes that type of game, Kris has a lot of games/puzzles that are excellent.

4. digitalphil

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks for your replies..
    I've tried the some of the ones you've mentioned...she's picky..but i'd love to find her a game.
    or heck... even one for me.
    I'm installing spellpix now.

5. onebigdoor

onebigdoor Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Hudson Valley, NY
    QatQi is a really interesting take on word puzzle games.

6. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Aha! I remembered it. Word Wonders: Tower of Babel. That game is phenomenal.

Also, like the guy above said, QatQi. Can't believe I forgot about that game. One of the most unique and strategic single player word games on the App Store. So goddamn good.

7. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Please let me know if you like it.

Some long time favorites
    ABC Soup, Jumbline 2, and TextTwist 2 are all variations on finding words in jumbled letters.
    AlphaOmega is very well supported and is a sort of twist on crossword puzzles.

Flip Words is sort of like wheel of fortune ~ guess letters and try and solve the puzzle.

Crosswords is an excellent crossword puzzle game.

Word Quest is a great word search type game.

Bold Moves was recently an Apple favorite and Seven Words is a good puzzler as well.

There are really huge numbers of excellent word games/puzzles out there ~ really would help to know what sorts of word games she likes. (Or you like, for that matter ;-)

8. blastone

blastone Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 9, 2009
  9. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    #9 Red1, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    I've played many IOS word games, but the one that's still on my phone is Wordament.

It's a challenging word finder by Microsoft.

Each round lasts 2 minutes, with hundreds of people simultaneously playing to get the best scores.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/wordament/id580935508?mt=8

And it's free.

Oops - Just realised it's for your grandmother! This game would be too fast paced for most grandparents. But, you may like it.

10. casperisfriendly

Oct 20, 2016
    Mobile Strategist
    California
    I love this thread! Big fan of word games/puzzles, and there are a few here that are new to me, that I'm excited to try out. Word Wonders: Tower of Babel in particular sounds awesome. There's a game I've played called Pandoras Books that sounds a bit similar - you construct words from different works of fiction, to defeat monsters as they descend from the sky. It's pretty cool! I hope your mom enjoys these games.

11. digitalphil

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the replies
    it's hard to find a good game sometimes in the app store
    so your replies help alot!

12. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I like Alpha Omega. It's a scrambled crossword that you swap letters to fix. The basic game alone is quite robust. Give it a look!

13. blue60

blue60 New Member

May 7, 2017
    Fun word puzzle

I enjoyed the adventure mode in Graphemix Word Puzzle. Its simple but good fun if you like word puzzles and its free.

14. digitalphil

Nov 29, 2012
    nice.. i'll try it.. thanks for the response

15. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Spell Tower by Zach Gage. That's always on any of my devices.

16. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    Puzzles and definitely word puzzles are my favourite type of game for iOS, probably why I make so many of them. I like that they tend to be perfect for the sort of drop in and play when you have a few spare minutes style of playing that suits me on a mobile device.

So I like when these kinds of threads crop up every now and again, I always find a game or two worth playing I'd never heard of.

Wordlings is pretty good, still find myself playing that fairly regularly.
    (no, it's not one of mine, I'm not mentioning those it's bad form.)

17. GoojajiGreg

GoojajiGreg New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    WordWhile, fill-in based on classic books

Hi,

For something a little different, she might like WordWhile, a fill-in-the-blank word puzzle based on classic books. You can play it for giggles (filling the blanks with funny, "novel" words) or the challenge of getting all the words right. It can be played with our without timers, has no ads or IAP and a growing selection of playable texts (new collections are added as updates to the app).

The app store page is here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-store/id1250527022 . It also happens to be currently featured in the US App Store "New Word Games We Love" collection. Hope you'll take a look.

Best regards,
    Greg