Universal I Made a Game! (Want to Test?)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Matt33, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Awesome, thanks so much for taking the time to look at it!

2. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Hey testers, do you think the pause button is necessary? I could remove it and it would still pause if the app is interrupted for whatever reason.

I think the pause feature is needed to prevent game overs if there's an interruption, since people could have a lot of time invested into a continued saved game. But it leaves open the possibility for cheating death by pausing if you think you're going to die, force-exiting the game, and re-launch to try again with the score you had at the start of the level.

This could be done with the pause button, or pressing the home button. I haven't been able to think of a way to prevent this, since I can't detect if the home button specifically is pressed. Should I leave the pause button the way it is? It might be more difficult trying to tap that, than quickly pressing the home button. Which could act as bait, and they get a game over anyway fumbling for the pause button :p

Thoughts on this would be much appreciated :)

3. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    This game don't need a pause button the levels are to short to pause, you just don't need it IMO.

Just got a score of 201 he he.

4. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    201? and there is a cheat? How long will Roger rule? LOL :D

5. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    255 now without cheating.

6. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    Alright, I think I will remove the pause button. Hopefully most people won't even realize there is a pause feature if they don't experience an interruption. Plus it takes a little longer for the pause to kick in when you tap the home button. So between realizing you're in danger, pressing home, and having pause initiate before hitting an obstacle, the exploit shouldn't provide much benefit- for those who are even aware of it.

7. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
    #27 Matt33, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Hey guys, I just sent out an update. Achievements are now included, and I fixed some bugs as well.

Finish any games you have in progress before updating, because I think only New Game will be tappable on the main menu. This is because I added a new internal flag that checks if a game is in progress, instead of simply checking if your score is greater than 0. Now if you're trying to get the avoid achievements, you can continue your consecutive run from the main menu despite having a score of 0.

Provided I didn't break anything, I think I'll be ready to submit this build for review and launch it! I should probably start making that gameplay trailer now :)

Edit: Just a heads up that the best score achievements are only unlocked when you submit a score, so opening the game will not unlock them if you previously had a best score over 20.

8. Matt33

Matt33 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Developer
    Canada
  9. RareSloth

RareSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Congrats on your first game!!

10. baodom

baodom Active Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Congrats on your first game. Keep learning to make better games!