I love Chess With Friends. Are there other leisure back-and-forth games like this?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GarlicVoodoo, Jun 15, 2009.

1. GarlicVoodoo

GarlicVoodoo Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post, but I feel like I know a lot of you already after having read (and trusted) the reviews you've all written. Thanks for all the heads-up on great games - you guys have helped me discover many hidden gems I would've never found otherwise.

I'm posting because over the past 3 weeks I've rediscovered my love for Chess, thanks mainly to Chess With Friends. My main issue with chess was always that I didn't have time to sit down for a complete game. But with Chess With Friends that's no longer an issue since I can make my latest move whenever I open up the App. I love the fact that I'm now playing 17 games of chess concurrently and can make my moves quickly during lunch, afternoon break, or just before bed.

So here's my question: Are there any other games that allow for this type of leisurely back-and-forth action? Turn-based games seem like a natural for this, since it really doesn't matter in most turn-based games if I take 2 days to make my next move. :)

I would think Scrabble would be perfect for this, but at least so far it doesn't seem to have this feature. But there have to be at least a few other apps besides Chess with Friends, right? Even better would be if there were other apps that allowed me to quickly start up a game with random strangers like Chess With Friends does.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Scott

2. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    Welcome to TouchArcade!

As far as I know, there aren't very many turn-based strategy games that allow for correspondence play. Chess seems to be the most well known game for this method. You could try for other board games like checkers/go/reversi/gomoku. I think 3D Checkers is coming up with a peer-to-peer game support, so check that out. It's free. :)

3. Ostinato

Ostinato Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    The online play of Uniwar is turn-based. There's a time-limit for each turn, but if you set up your own games you can push the time-limit per turn up to 3 days.

Edit: TA thread on Uniwar

4. cheezeburger69

cheezeburger69 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2009
    Target Cart Attendant
    Dirty Stallis
    Scrabble does have this feature, all you have to do is play the online facebook game, which is the same thing, except you play against people who are on facebook, or on an ipod/iphone.

5. GarlicVoodoo

GarlicVoodoo Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Thanks for the great suggestions - I have Uniwar, but never realized you could push the time limit to 3 days. That's a great feature! I'm going to look into the Scrabble on Facebook option and also probably look into the iPod Touch versions of Go and Checkers.

Thanks again!