Universal I Keep Having This Dream (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 22, 2016.

1. gearkin

gearkin Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    #121 gearkin, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    Thank you for that explanation. I clicked outa the text explaining those values before I read it. All too common a problem of mine. This is a huge help. Huge. But I still am not so sure about these long game sessions. The pick up and play is nice but still way too long.

Will def Give it another few tries. Knowing that value saves me so much time doing the math every battle. Thank you again. Head was starting to hurt. The longer battles when ur forced to fight can take a few turns and doing the math isn't always easy for me. Has to be a third right? Nice round numbers would be nice lol

Edit: thinking further. That number will change if you add tiles that affect your attack, def and health. Meaning the number of turns might change if U add an attack tile during an ongoing battle So will have to keep that in mind.

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Yes, that's exactly the point. Keep the enemies in have until you have played enough attack/defense/health to make those two numbers as favorable to you as reasonably possible.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #123 LordGek, Feb 24, 2016
    I've definitely had some nail biters with fights that went on several rounds that I only hung on by the skin of my teeth and some lucky Attack tile draws!

And know if you can make it to a new world you'll get a FRESH new hand of tiles!

4. Wils

Wils New Member

Feb 24, 2016
    I really love the concept of the game and the somewhat strategy behind it. I reached floor/level 4 once and the 3rd one a few times also. But the progess in the game is weird, after probably more than 12hrs of gameplay i never got a "special item". I dont really see the benefit of the events, most of the time they are useless. The special monsters, i think thos is where the game is flawed, some are way OP and they just domino if you cant get rid of them. If you draw easy monsters, you ll get far, if you draw an inkilllable one, well good luck!
    Awesome game, imo, it just needs a few tweeks.

Note: longg time reader, just created an account! :)

Wils

5. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    #125 IOSgamer1980, Feb 24, 2016
    I think the payoff in this game is when you implement a "system" via the upgrades and equipment that works well.

I had a nice run going yesterday that netted me a 1,400+ score. I basically focused on boosting my attack stat via stat points and equipment but chose perks that gave me shields for discarding unnecessary hearts and that gave me a shield each turn up to my attack number as a maximum, and some other perks that complimented all this. I was a juggernaut, but I blew it because I didn't understand that you needed to hold the required number of keys for the exit to open. I thought I was "collecting" them.

While the opacity of the gameplay mechanics are a problem, the above experience is what I will keep playing for. It reminded me of this one epic Dungeon Raid run as a Hobbit, where I basically had a particular set of skills that allowed me to effectively transmute board pieces in a multi-stage process to coins. I was on a seemingly endless roll of turning the entire board into coins over and over.

It was fun while it lasted, but eventually I was either lax or got thrown an unexpected curveball (or both) that brought my Midas reign of terror to an end, but I'm always going to remember the childlike glee that I felt along the way.

In my opinion that's why this developer is great and why I will continue to buy and play his offerings devotedly.

6. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Me love it!:D

7. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Spectacular game!!!!

Idea: Option to remove the green rotation arrow. When a piece is placed just know it spins & move it. Remove the check mark to finalize. Double tap anywhere OR tap the piece to make it stay. This would keep the playing field open.

Just an idea.

Thanks.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    ^^i don't think removing it totally would be the ideal option... Maybe a setting to turn it off? But something more like adjusting the opacity of those icons would more than likely be sufficient. Not that I, in any way, am the authority on the subject...

Not that it matters, unless the developers join in...

And sorry if this has been addressed already (I searched the thread - didn't find anything) does anyone know if they have Twitter/FB accounts? I'm having a hard time finding any... =o/

9. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    This is my favourite game to come around in while. I suck at it but it's fun to play

10. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    In Dungeon Raid, the strength of the enemies increases exponentially with time, so they will always defeat you eventually, the goal is to score as much as you can before they overpower you. You don't have to slip up.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Or just copy the Carcassonne interface one step further - get rid of the green arrow and just tap the placed tile to rotate it clockwise to it's next possible position. Then click the check to place.

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah i would also prefer a tap. The game would be easier to touch and play with a tap interface rather than having to rotate every tile.

I don't want an auto spin. If you like that there's actually a special monster that will spin every tile you drop on the board and it's completely annoying so I had to kill it after a few turns.

13. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Bought this and regret it. Have no idea what the object of the game is. I got to an exit, collected all the keys around it, but could never get a card that wound into the exit and just kept on going and going and going until I died. Guess I'll have to go back and read all these posts (which I haven't done yet) in the hope that I'll figure out this game.

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    If you are ever in that situation again you can try discarding tiles and/or running yourself into a dead end to get the Nemesis to clear tiles for you...

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You only need to make a trail over 2 key spaces to exit the first world, the game is just being nice by giving lots of options as to how you get to the exit (to exit later worlds you'll surely need more keys).

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I finally encountered that Snag, and you know what? Overall I liked it better. :eek:

17. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    No dev...conversation dwindles. I don't think most of them realize that if they keep the comments going the game stays visible in the "hot new games " category. Oh well...what can ya do?

18. zebe

zebe Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 11, 2013
    Redwood City, California
    #138 zebe, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Downloaded this game after hearing the guys mention it on the podcast. I have been a dedicated Dungeon Raid fan, always hoping for an update, but this is a welcome surprise! I love the appearance and fit-and-finish. The style, particularly of the special snags and the character heads, looks like "Dungeon Raid Plus" to me. The music is also fantastic and really contributes to the atmosphere of being lost in a dream world; I often commit the crime of playing games on mute since I'm usually just popping into them while waiting for something, but this one actually has me breaking out the headphones so I can get lost in it.

As far as the gameplay, I share the pain of some of the commenters here. My first playthrough with the tutorial felt like I was understanding what to do, but I didn't do very well, and totally didn't understand the Nemesis mechanics. After a few more tries bumbling through with 175-ish scores, I read through this thread, and played another game with the tutorial on. I feel like I'm getting it now and doing better, and I'm enjoying the process of discovering the game mechanics, but I think it could really use some tweaking. The balance isn't quite as dialed in as the perfect level of fun in Dungeon Raid, and understanding the push-pull with Nemesis is a little confusing for the new player.

Still, the weirdness of this game is part of what I am really digging about it. I haven't been this into an iOS game in a while. Looking forward to discovering more.

19. fireflame

fireflame Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Hey guys, I'm the dev for this game :)

I've had a read through all the discussion so far, and agree with most of the criticisms, in particular about game length and balancing and I'll be looking into tweaking this for upcoming updates. Yesterday I finally managed to break through to world 7 & beat my previous best of ~2900 points on normal, and that took just over an hour, which does feel a bit long for a single playthrough and would probably take most people multiple play sessions.

A small first update is coming up that includes some of the suggestions from this thread, like tapping to cycle through tile rotations. Also, placing tiles will now automatically rotate them towards the exit, which I think makes the games mechanically faster since you no longer need to manually rotate every single tile.

20. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Please don't make the game too easy, the current difficulty and time investment are perfect! IKHTD is best game I've played in ages. It's also the most unique rogue-like I've seen in recent times.