Universal I Keep Having This Dream (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Yeah, I think I have to agree. I love the depth, but each floor is soooo long. It's fairly easy by now for me to get through the first exit without much problem. So those first 50 turns are just to get to the point where it starts to get more interesting. If I stick with it and get better, it will just mean it takes longer to get to the challenging part.

I think Threes benefitted greatly from adding that shortcut once you hit a certain card. I can't help but wish for something similar -- a FF to get to later parts of the game. Maybe just let us start from a specific floor? I don't know. Dungeon Raid felt better as a high score chaser. I like so much about this game, but the length of a single game is starting to get to me.

2. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Agree the game is too imbalanced to me cause you stats grow much slower than the monster appears.

And the monsters "grow" real fast and crazy.

More tips of getting hi-score need.

P.S. Still cannot get to 3rd stage...

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I've never played Dungeon Raid... I'm not a very big tile matching fan...

But after a gentle nudge by some fellow TA members, I picked this up on a whim.
    I am so very glad that I did.

The more I play, the more it opens up. I was struggling to get over 500 points a game, but just broke 1200 my last go... and I'm hooked. If the developers are reading this - THANK YOU FOR THE SAVE FUNCTIONALITY!! Because of it, it's turned into my go-to game whenever I have a minute or just want something to do during commercials. =oP

I love the way the enemies can play off one another while they're in your hand. Both in your favor and against you... love how the nemesis leveling&whatever those purple things are leveling works... love the graphics... love how the tile placement/interaction works... the UI is great...

I played through the tutorial.... But it feels like it only scratched the surface (though I can completely see why it's the length it is). Is there an online wiki or something like it? I mean, I'd doubt it... but it'd be cool if there was more info on the enemies, upgrades, ect...

4. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    My question is: how to make use of the monsters and how to score hi?

5. I'm still loving the complexity of the game and am amazed by the variety of the Snags. But I don't know how it's going to hold my attention when each game is so long, then start over from scratch.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nice open ended question there. :)

It's so hard to give any decent general advice as those special snags each can impose such unique/weird challenges.

Some cute examples though can be seen when you have 2 specials in your hand that have seemingly contradictory effects, like one who creates undiscardable pain tiles but another special changes the nearest non-blank tile to a blank one. While a blank tile isn't great, it might be better than non-stop pain.

I also am still trying to figure out how to use the Nemesis to my advantage like dropping some unkillable special snag down and then finding out how I can trick the Nemesis to run it over.

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Agreed, I would love to see a new mode in the game that allowed you to carryover your character between play-throughs.

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This would be nice. But I think it would never happen because they never seemed to implement a "permanent level up" system. And you'd probably run out of new equipment to get at some point if you were allowed to save it so there's only so much. Probably would need a lot of retooling. But if they had it I would love it.

I think more doable would be to rearrange the difficulty modes and then probably make easy -> normal, then in easy probably skip the equipment to automatic higher rarity. I've gone through about 4-5 level ups and have not seen a single special item.

9. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Shame the dev doesn't participate here. Not only for the players sake but for his also.

He could give gameplay tips so this isn't so much of a guessing game and he could get some feedback towards tuning the length and difficulty for the future. DR got some fine tuning plus some additions after its release and I -really- hope this also happens with this title.

10. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Easy to say than doing: build a dead-end path or discard tiles. Both actions trigger the Nemesis to start moving.

I am not quite sure how the level up system and combat work, frankly.

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Played this a bit last night and that was my chief complaint. It is a neat idea, but playing is tedious. The levels are much too long.

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I went from thinking the combat mechanics were a no brainer, then realized it wasn't making sense, only then to finally catch some hover text while tapping the Attack and Armor values.

The basics are very straight forward:

Your Attack - Their Armor = Damage Done (if a negative result, the character's hit points aren't affected).

Both you and your opponent are making these attacks on one another simultaneously.

After each attack (here's the odd bit), you lose 1/3 of your current Attack value and 1/2 of your Armor value (???).

So if you start off with something insane like an 18 Attack vs. a baddy's 3 Armor, you'll do 15 hit points of damage to them round 1 and then your Attack will drop to 12 and your opponent's Armor 1 (I think they always round down) for 11 points of damage the second round.

13. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Torn on this one... A lot of the people who I follow on TA as a guide on games like this but I also hear the challenge of the game length based on needing to start from scratch...

Shocked with all the TA love for Dungeon Raid that the developer isn't on TA or hasn't provided comments or feedback.

The biggest hope I have is that although dungeon raid hasn't been updated since 2011...??? The developer tweaked it a lot in the beginning which many believed improved the game... Here is hoping the developer makes tweaks to this one to address some of the initial concerns.

14. currymutton

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes, it is very strange indeed, does not make any sense. Especially some how, I find tile >20 hit points somewhere in the 2nd stage...

I further find out that clicking on the monster tile when held, there is another set of values regarding attack and defense points, need to investigate further.

15. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I Keep Having This Dream (by Fireflame Games)

Yes. The combat mechanics are weird, but they're actually not especially complicated. They're explained in the tutorial and I'm the hover texts, as LordGek already described. In fact, almost everything in the game has a hover text.

The pair of values in the enemy hover text are key: the left one (I think the red one) shows in how many turns you'll kill it, once placed, with the current stats. The right one shows in how many turns it'll kill you.

The key is to grow your attack stats and defense stats high enough so that you will kill the enemies in a single turn if possible, and not take damage (I.e. Your shield is at least equal to the enemy's green attack stat).

Your green attack stat needs to be at least equal to the sum of the enemy's shield plus heart in order for you to kill it in one turn.

16. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I thought I had finally figured the combat out using hover text but still no.....
    So I had 6 green attack,10 life and 4 blue armor and the enemy I put down had 1-1-1 for everything. I go to attack and it takes 1 green away and 2 blue from me?I don't get it?????

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    You lose half your armour value per attack taken.
    You lose one third of your attack value per attack. Technically you should have lost 2 attack points.

18. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Okay I'm starting to get it now. So the enemy attack and armor values have no bearing on how much you lose other than you life?
    Just had another example: I had 11 attack and 6 armor and put down a snag with 1 attack and 2 armor.
    I lost 3 attack and 3 armor which sounds about right I guess? Half for armor and there is no exact number to 1/3 of 11.
    I guess it just rounds it up or down.

19. BohemianCoast

BohemianCoast Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I think the learning curve is a bit off; I had four games all scoring around 480 before I finally worked out a tiny bit of strategy. My last game was 1458, well into world 4 (this on 'normal'). I think you're not seeing 'special items' because that is itself a level-up perk -- once I started to get these, they were super good.

The baddy also loses attack and armour after attacks, so adding attack and armour tiles in the middle of the fight is a pretty solid strategy. With normal snags, it's a balance between killing enough that you get the experience, and discarding them if it'll hurt to much to kill them.

The end of each level is a race to finish while leaving as many snags as possible behind.

The benefits of different perks and events are very considerable. There are several that apply to discarding hearts, or discarding hearts at full value; something that I only do perhaps once or twice a game. Others, especially ones that escalate rewards, seem much more valuable.

I've had 'honesty' twice now, and both times it's hopped along my path really slowly, only to get consumed by Nemesis at the end of the level. What's the point? In general, things that move snags to the beginning of the path seem to be rather more effective than they should be.

Anyway, off to play another game now.

20. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I'm agreeing with what some of you guys are laying down here. At first I really liked this game. It was something fresh and new. But now it's like, if I want to spend 40 minutes to an hour playing a game it's not going to be some kind of puzzle game where I'm honestly not even sure what is going on or if there is even an ending. I'll just play Fire Emblem Fates, Vainglory, MH4U, etc. And I know it's just the way the video game industry is now but it sure would be nice to have some kind of directions so we knew exactly what everything did instead of having to play for 30-60 minutes just to figure out how damage, health, and armor interact with yourself and the snags. I'm sure I'll still play it but I'm not as excited as I was in my first 2-3 playthroughs.