Universal I Keep Having This Dream (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 22, 2016.

1. triwolf

triwolf Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2012
    I feel dumb for asking, but I still don't see the strategic use of discarding tiles beside snags??

2. The problem with doing it for the experience is that the Nemesis will gain the experience, too. That makes him stronger and harder to deal with later on. I was discarding tiles to avoid having the Nemesis consume more tiles and experience at once. Purposely making him eat up experience seems like a bad idea (IMO). You still want to avoid it, but I was so afraid of discarding tiles, that I was making it worse by forcing myself to use the tiles I had, even if they were all Snags.

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I had dungeon raid from the beginning and loved it still one of my favourite iOS games which my fiancée and myself took turns playing trying to get the highest score too.

So even though I don't really like any tile placing games I've played I'll buy this due to the Dev and all your comments here too. Will give me something to try the weekend

4. It probably makes more sense to just use it, yeah. Even if you have to use a heart or gear tile and get nothing out of it, it seems preferable to discarding.

But I have made the mistake of locking myself around the exit with none of my tiles fitting. I had to keep discarding the one tile that wasn't a Special Snag, until I finally got one that fit (the Nemesis was closing in on me!). So there are reasons you might need to discard a non-Snag tile.

5. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    If you have live snags on the board and can't afford to place tiles until the ones you want come up, discarding is a useful way to make sure you get attack/shield/health back without getting attacked by the live snags on the board. Mostly useful when you're in danger with special enemies, I suppose.

As for clicking the Nemesis, no, what I meant was that if you click on it it will tell you how it behaves. I don't think anyone mentioned that it would move when you click on it.

I am curious about what you mentioned, AppUnwrapper: that when you find the exit, the droplets that the Nemesis gets do not give him experience. Is this confirmed?

I don't have any evidence otherwise, as I haven't played enough, but that is interesting. I hadn't noticed earlier, though.

6. Hmmm I should do more testing. I was basing it off the fact that he didn't gain a level when he scooped up all the experience from the first floor. And if I remember correctly, I leveled up from it -- so if he was getting experience from those droplets, he should have as well.
    Each game is long, so these aren't quick things to test. I was going based off my own experience, but if someone experiences something different, please tell me. It would make sense, though, that making it all the way to the exit without summoning the Nemesis at all would have some perk. Maybe even just making it part of the way. The less the Nemesis scoops up before you get to the exit, the less experience he gets.

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011

Yes, I totally get that. The games are long so new findings are just trickling down so far :)

Thanks for investigating :)

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm fairly certain he doesn't get exp other than as a result of discarding snags or maybe Special Snag/Event effects that clearly state as much. You can see if he's gaining exp as he moves by watching for movement in its out ring which essentially serves as an exp progress bar. If you don't see any changes to that outer ring as the Nemesis moves about, it isn't gaining exp.

9. He does gain XP when he swallows up droplets when chasing you. They work on him the way they work on you -- 10 droplets = a level. If your health runs down to 0 and he eats up the droplets, you'll both gain the experience. The question is whether he gains any when he's just collecting everything and following you through to the next world. I don't think he does. That's the benefit of avoiding using discards or letting your health get down to 0, etc. He'll stay weak if you don't feed him.

10. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Okay, that makes sense.

11. roninld

roninld Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Excellent advice. Has made game more enjoyable until I get better grasp of mechanics.

12. Riptorch

Riptorch New Member

May 8, 2012
    Correction, you do NOT gain experience if the Nemesis eats droplets due to your health hitting 0. According to his pop-up text, he is not "consuming" them then, he is "devouring" them. And the pop-up text on the droplets say you only gain xp when he "consumes" them. So discarding is MUCH preferrable to hitting zero health.

13. Ahh thanks for the correction! I thought I was getting the XP then, but will test more and update my guide. I guess it's a battle for who gets the XP, then?

14. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Really? I swear I've gained experience levels as he rushes up to me from a snag death. Maybe there is a significant difference between consume and devour.

15. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    Having a lot of fun, but I feel like the pacing / difficulty still needs significant tuning.

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #96 L.Lawliet, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    I can understand what you're saying and that makes sense but that's why I mentioned it's a balancing act. You can't consistently summon him but do it enough after you feel it's a "good time" (up to you pretty much). You really NEED to force him because later in the game, you need way better equips or the monsters will slaughter you quickly. Early game is fear of the Nemesis. Late game is fear of the enemies (and those damn bells). The Nemesis is a double edged sword, it actually is useful in some ways like clearing the board if you get stuck near the keys.

For upgrades I recommend attack boosts, then health boosts, then defense boosts in that priority. But don't neglect any. Attack is really important to boost since it degrades too quickly in battles. Defense is really good because it's constant and doesn't degrade but you really need health and attack once enemies start getting really strong and defense power becomes less significant.

17. raravan

raravan Well-Known Member

May 18, 2014
    same feelings. was playing Dungeon Raid today, OMG what a game. ideal balance.

18. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Believe it or not I had never heard of Dungeon raid before seeing this thread and purchasing this game. If I knew Dungeon Raid was going to be updated to work with future os I would have purchased it as well. But I do understand why the dev can't update it and it makes sense. I'm happy to have supported him with this purchase though. I'm going to have time tomorrow to really sit down and play this game for a long period and get into it.

Billy

19. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I was loving the game but now I'm not. I find it way too slow now and I understand everything but it's still confusing which makes no sense I know. It just isn't that fun now. Discard don't discard. Not enjoying the whole balancing act anymore.

20. gearkin

gearkin Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    After making it to the end of world 2 I have to agree. The pacing of this game is just too drawn out for me. Game sessions take too long. I love the depth and strategy so much. But for it to take an hour to unfold is too much for me.
    If the game has an end then it's worth it. But for high score chasing. This game just doesn't have the appeal to me.