Universal I Keep Having This Dream (by Fireflame Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Twice in a row I've got to the third door, collected the required 4 keys, but then can't place the final tile on the exit because of the other tiles blocking it #
    Guess you have to get Nemesis to clear them to make it easier to place a tile

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Agreed! If these three buy a game I'm not far behind!

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Intriguing game...

A few games in I'm still not 100% sure what I'm doing, but I'm having a lot of fun doing it!

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Great game! Though to be honest I don't like the upgrade gear system - the pacing is a bit too slow after playing DR. It even makes the game way more difficult. The rest of the game is great.

I feel like it takes too long to get one piece of gear upgraded - getting purple tiles and placing them on 10 special spots takes a while especially since it's RNG if you get a purple tile. Then it's even more difficult for exp since not only do you have to kill an enemy but you have to call over the Nemesis to eat the exp in order for you to get it (and in general you don't want the nemesis anywhere near you - which makes this a huge conflict). I think easy mode or another mode should just give you exp as you kill monsters to make it more worthwhile. The game seems to be pushing more toward attacking as little monsters as possible, which means less gear for you. Your attack always goes down and has to be built up again so you can't constantly fight. This leads to you getting stuck with old gear for long periods of time. I played the game for 20 minutes and only got 3 new pieces of gear at the end of world 2. In that time in DR I probably would've went through at least 7-10.

5. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    I used to be really active on this board years ago, and mostly because of the Dungeon Raid (and Rogue Touch) threads on here. So this was an instant buy for me. And this game is brilliant, it seems totally unique in its play, and I am having a blast.

Also, have died just before getting to the third floor twice now.

6. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I can't really comment yet on the gear upgrade pacing but LOVE the current weird relation with the Nemesis. The fact that it is the evil abyss that can destroy but is also needed to collect exp is what make this game so weird and original. The game is really all about effective Nemesis management so I'm strongly against any changes to make your connection to it any more black and white. Keep it grey! :D

7. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Do not quite like Dungeon Raid cause it get repetitive and I am frankly, not very good at match-3

But I am enjoying this so far.

Question time, how do I get the purple gear tile working? I read it would upgrade my stuff.

Thanks and enjoy...

8. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Made it to third world again. Couldn't make it too far in though. Score was 795

9. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    When you click the gear tile in your available cards you will see gears show up on the screen. You have to be able to place the gear tile on one of the available gears

10. I never became a pro at DR, but I agree this is a more time-consuming game and it seems like upgrades take a lot longer to get. But some folks seem to be having a much easier time at it than I am. No matter how well I *think* I'm doing, I can't seem to get a score much higher than 400.

11. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Ok. I'm in too. I lurk near the same posters....and you

12. gearkin

gearkin Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Is this game a rouge-like? As in you don't carry any experience, gear ect... Over from run to run

13. Yep. You start from scratch with each game. You can unlock new enemies and "events" -- but those are just added to the pool of possible enemies/events you might get.

14. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    #54 spader623, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Nvm. Interssting game. I'm a bit confused on how nemesis works but I like it

15. Woohoo! Finally made it past the second door. :)

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #56 LordGek, Feb 23, 2016
    The basics I understand so far:

1) Every tile you discard on a turn moves Nemesis 1 space closer or until it hits a gold droplet, whichever comes first.
    2) Getting killed by a baddy will shoot Nemesis to the space right next to you.

But I'm also not clear on the significance when it is leveled up, maybe it then jumps multiple spaces each discard?

Oh, for those curious about the meta game, it would appear every world you manage to successfully exit in a single run earns you a key, these keys then can be traded in for new content:

1) New face for 1 key (just a new a avatar for the game, no difference in stats/abilities), the game has 30 of these to unlock.

2) New type of for baddy possible in game for 2 keys, there are 20 of these to unlock.

3) New type of event possible for 3 keys, there are currently 15 of these to unlock.

17. When you run out of health, it seems to level up and jump that number of droplets? I think? It all happens so fast. I haven't been discarding tiles very often -- maybe that's why I end up in bad situations. :p

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #58 L.Lawliet, Feb 23, 2016
    I love the unique mechanics, don't get me wrong, but I still think there should be some easier way to get upgrades. The app description boasts so many however most people are around world 1-2 before dying and probably won't even see any gear with special abilities - the first few upgrades are usually basic. It seems like such a waste to have so many but they're barely used since people can't get that far. DR was super fun because every run in just a bit of time you could have all sorts of different gear and skills that would completely change the gameplay. In here I can barely make it before I get an "event card" upgrade and then die before I use it or die right after I use it.

Well I probably do need to get better but it has a pretty high learning curve and doesn't give you enough equips to combat the growing threats. (That's actually why I'm afraid of unlocking new monsters because I can barely handle the current ones)

19. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I'm only a few games in but have now seen a number of perks and events that might really speed up equipment upgrading.

20. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Also, when you have no place to put a tile, the nemesis comes to you or may consume you, which literally means game over