Universal I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jan 14, 2016.

1. dingdongfootball

dingdongfootball Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Oh this rules. The story is so messed up and I've always wanted to play the game!

2. Wicuicad

Wicuicad Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Must scream!!!

3. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I'm tempted to get it but I've heard getting the 'good' ending is super vague

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Sweet! Been wanting to play this for the longest time, but just don't play games much on my computer anymore. This will make it much easier.

5. Mry1975

Mry1975 Active Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I have been playing for about an hour on my I pad. First impressions are this could be a really good game but controls are awkward and buggy and it has crashed on me a few times. Hopefully an update will come, then it would be worth the asking price. Despite this I'm still playing it so if you can handle the imperfections, jump in!

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Buggy, text does not display half the time. Still Dot Emu is on my short list of trusted developers. I am sure they will fix things.
    Never heard of the game or the books, but will enjoy playing this older school point and click.

7. dingdongfootball

dingdongfootball Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    #27 dingdongfootball, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    It's a short story you could probably read in like 30 minutes (I don't actually remember how long it is) pretty messed up but definitely worth a read if you like anything sci fi or just messed up.

8. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There's a link to the story in this thread, actually and since I haven't read it in years (and havent touched the game in a very, very long time), I thought it would be cool to go back and read it. Seriously, if you're a proficient reader, it should take 15 mins tops to read the whole thing.

9. Valentia

Valentia Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Jan 20, 2009
    Female
    Retired!
    California
    Yep. And it's well worth it.

10. cenn

cenn Active Member

Aug 14, 2015
    this short story was a favorite of mine too. and it works even for those ppl who cant stomach his other stuff.
    harlan ellison really is amazing.

11. HikariKami

HikariKami Active Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Web Designer
    Australia
    #31 HikariKami, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    I remember playing a demo of this back when I was a kid. Quite surprised to see it released. *yet another game added to his wishlist*

12. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    Thanks for the advice !

13. Mry1975

Mry1975 Active Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Update. It's great, a hardcore, dark old school point and click adventure. The controls take a bit of getting used to but more games like this please!

14. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    So disappointed ... For french people (as me) and german it's the censored version with 4 characters instead of 5 !!! :(

15. Swiss Guy

Swiss Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Yeah they keep censored assets and it's (almost) impossible to finish the game.

You can choose english in prefs and play it completly but it need another save...

16. Jetjet

Jetjet Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    So if I choose english, I can play the uncensored version ? Very useful thanks a lot !

17. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Love Harlan Ellison's stories, this one being one of my favorites.

Have a shameful history with this game, as I bought the original box version back in the 90s(?) and then the GOG version, and pretty sure at least one other version in between, but I've never played it. Maybe iOS will finally get me to play it.

18. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I'm sure Harlan could make something out of that- a guy is doomed to repeatedly, fetishistically, religiously buy a game in every format it comes out in, but can never bring himself to actually play the thing. He's written a short story about every other subject, so why not that?

Love Ellison- especially recommended are his own audiobook readings of his stuff- but never quite gotten around to this, even though I've known of it since it came out on DOS. Will Shirley rectify that situation the moment I'm done with the Blackwell games.