I have ideas You have the skills lets make lots of money

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    As a graphic designer myself I'd have to disagree, Nickels. Doing User Interface (UI) concept and design for multiple PC, and Apple Touch platform applications, games and websites. Understanding the parameters of what can be done in an app environment truly dictates how close the app will come to your design concept and whether or not you can be convincing to the programmer implementing your ideas into their ideas. I learned this the hard way for a few years, then realized why my design ideas were not being fully realized. It's funny in a way to think, normally I get the programmer coming to me to ask if I can design the concept (idea) they want as a reference. Not because they couldn't get the app done without the concept design, but because they knew from a designers point of view who understands the app idea and platform it's coming from, it would be wise to have that reference and modify it how they see fit. And do I love the modifying hour$.. Point being, if most people just looked through the window of app development, not even to have to learn it, they would have a better understanding of what can be asked and how design work could be made better.

Us graphics guys are important but I'll have to give it to the coder. A lot of my ideas would never be possible without them willing to go with an idea, sacrifice and implement.

2. Spacedoggy

Spacedoggy Member

Jan 17, 2009
    iPhone Dev, Composer
    Tasmania, Australia
    GDay - I too have partnered with a coder - My background is Film TV and Sound Design (not coding) - I'll let you know how our partnership works week by week as we commence our app pre-production next month :p

Terry - Australia
    http://spacedoggy.wordpress.com

3. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #23 dannys95, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    Question; how do u think this deal would work:

I want to make a 3D app which will be set in a 3D city. You fly around in a small toy like plane. I can make the 3D stuff; the menu buttons pretty much all the visuals; I know HTML so I can make the site; and have a plan for the game. All I need is someone to do the coding. Do you think this deal is fair / would work?

Would I make money / a good percent of the apps sale?

4. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    I think this falls back to the original post. What you bring to the project in the way of understanding the scope and planning of your undertaking, you'd be able to generally answer these questions yourself. You can design and model? You can provide a means of presentation? You have a conceptual idea of what your project should look like given the format?

Managing a project, you face a lot of issues you have to overcome. Poor roles definition, lack of estimating and planning skills, lack of decision making skills. Project managers need to face the schedule, budget and quality constraints as well. Developers need to understand and face lack of knowledge in the application area, lack of knowledge about developing standards, lack of up to date documentations, deadline pressures, changes of application requirements, etc.This doesn't include monetary constraints, receiving products past the due date and the like.

I make it sound more complicated than it seems, but the fact is, you will run into all of this if your serious about development.

Would you make money, a good percent of the apps sale?
    It depends on how much of what I mentioned you could undertake. It also depends on how many people are needed and so on. At this point, you ask, but no one can truly answer these questions but yourself.

5. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    well this was just a question. i could do all except the website but i think a blogger site is easier. as to all the other stuff im ready. i think me and two other ppl should do. but then again this is just a question i made.

6. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    GTA+FPS+RTS+MMO+BBQ = $$$

:p

7. 20gritStudios

20gritStudios New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I have to say that the right partnership should be about more than just the money. Recognition, personal development, and business relationships are just as important as the profit split. I have started pre-production on two apps for the app store with one of my friends. We threw around ideas, asked other people what they thought, and decided on two. I will be writing 99% of the code for both, building the website, and making most of the graphics. We are splitting the profits 50/50. I guess that I am just one that believes that there is more to it than money. I don't think that I will be quitting my two "real" jobs even if I was making 100% of the profits but, then again, there's just more. I know that this is America, and we want to make an ass-load of money while taking all of the credit for the work, but there are so many awesome ideas that may never be seen because of greed. Look at the economy and see how far greed has gotten us. Sorry for the rant.

8. alienmeatsack

alienmeatsack Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    IT Department
    Oklahoma
    What a lot of people don't realize is that none of the work to build an app, game, etc is easy. Having an idea means very little if you cannot flesh it out.

I know this all too well. I am an experienced graphic designer, I know a wee bit of code but most of what I know if PHP/MySQL/HTML/CSS and not really game related.

But, I am also one of the many many people who "has great ideas I'd love to see made into products". And, like many people, I just do not have the organizational skills to get my skeletons of ideas into fleshed out useful ideas.

I've tried doing mockup GUIs, fake screen shots, etc to get ideas rolling, but MAN it's a lot of work. I've got major respect for anyone who can get a cool idea up and running and out the door.

9. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Nicely said from your personal experience there.
    I completely agree.

10. brof

brof Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Software Architect
    Stuttgart, Germany
    well, the split should reflect the work load of each person. If you have a fleshed out idea where you spent 5 days on it writing a design doc etc... and I would have to work 20 days to get everything implemented... well, then I would suggest a 4:1 Split for my programming/time effort. Even if it is a great idea, the execution has to be great too... and if I have to spent so much more time, then it should be reflected.

what do you think, sounds reasonable?

and also: if you as a designer think your idea is worth a 1:1 split ratio, then it should be dependend on sales....

I have no problem, if the app sales are sky rocketing, then I am OK with a 1:1 split, since the idea must have been really great....

but if the sales stay low, and the end product is not much fun... than I would like to have my time investment back...

to make it short: if we have success together, then 1:1 is OK, if there is no success, then each person should get their investments back on a appropriate work/time ratio...

cheers,
    George

11. morscata12

morscata12 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Agreed. In my experience, creating a thorough design document is most of the work when programming a game. However, odds are that the design will be poor if the writer isn't a programmer. Things get left out, as aspects of the planning process are learned through coding experience.

If a design document is not a possibility, coming into the project as an artist is your best bet. Your ideas would come along, but you will have to be flexible and allow the other members of your team to share their input (besides, you'll find that *one* idea won't be enough to make a solid game).