I have ideas You have the skills lets make lots of money

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    who do you contact when you have an Idea for a few apps, but don't have programming experience? Can you partner with someone and have a partner ship without getting screwed out of your idea?

I have some simple, unique, and some other more fleshed out apps that I think could do pretty well but I'm not up to speed enough to make them happen.

Whats a fair revenue split on these kind of deals and has anyone done anything like this?

2. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    To be honest having an idea is not enough. Watch Dragon's Den, ideas are worth nothing until they are realised.

I doubt you will get much money/revenue split for just coming up with an idea. After all, if you could, patent applications wouldn't be so complex (you actually have to provide a "blueprint" that someone could take and implement the idea for themselves)

EDIT:

To re-iterate my point, its the effort (programming) that brings home the money. And rightly so.

3. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Agreed. However if you have the ability to flesh out your idea into a solid design document, there would be tangible value to your contribution.

4. Zandog

Zandog Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Public Relations/Graphic Designer - Spiffcode Inc.
    Seattle, Wa
    #4 Zandog, Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    Okay.. :rolleyes: You gotta have something skill wise to bring to the table on this one. You can't just ask if someones willing to develop your idea.
    If you can provide at minimum, concept design knowledge of what your idea would look like. I'd listen as well.
    ouch.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    (1 skill)=(1,000,000,000,000 ideas)

And that ratio is about you could expect to make.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

"Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration." So a 1/99 split seems fair. Otherwise you'll have to pay up-front for programmers to do work-for-hire, keeping in mind that $100+/hr isn't uncommon.

--Eric

7. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Understood, I simply was asking as I do have some fleshed out ideas, and I do have some ability to program but it will require some more time and effort on my side, which is the way to go it seems.

I could add that 1000 programmers with crappy apps couldn't equal 1 great idea. Not pointed at anyone but I'm saying it takes both. So many programs have a basic idea but no depth that it ruins the project.

8. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Only if that idea becomes something... if it stays an idea it is worthless. I have this great idea for super quantum traveling but I can't find the people to make it, 1000 cars is still much better ;-D

9. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Im sure certain dev groups might be able to work something out if the idea just hasn't been done before but you would be getting a very low percentage. If you did get 10% which I think is high on a 99c app. You would make 7c a sale (after apple takes their share). You would have to sell a lot for that to add up.

Unless your not in it for the money and just want to get your name on something. Most developers have tons of their own ideas that they would like to flesh out first.

10. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    As a programmer, I would accept a fair revenue split from someone who not only has an idea, but also willing to do the art, marketing, secretary for Company matters, accounting, etc...

Alternatively, you could pay a programmer a fixed amount to implement an idea, this could end up being much less costly than a revenue split depending on how good the idea is.

11. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Think about it like you would look at a movie:

The screen writers get paid for the script (very little)

The production company spends millions of dollars to make, market and produce it.

The movie makes millions and the screen writer would be lucky to get half a percent of the net worth of the actual film.

Don't want to come off as being mean but you're going to have to bring more to the table if you wanna get a decent split (and I'm clearly not the only one who thinks that)

12. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    A screen writer does do a lot of actual work though ;)

13. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Exactly! Yet they're sill incredibly under-paid and not given enough credit....its sad what will pass for a plot these days

14. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    I am not a programmer, more of a graphic artist. From my perspective, programming code is not as important as creativity. Given time I'd say the majority of driven folks could learn enough to program a game. I am not dismissing the programmers and coders here, you can code to where it becomes an artwork in itself. However, given unlimited time a person will not gain creativity, it is something you either have or don't have. Just look in the app store, how many games are pure crap? Why, because lots of people can write code but not too many of them can come up with an original idea that appeals to the masses.

But like everyone here says, if you want an equal share of the money you need to do more then think of the idea. Learn to code, design, or something, otherwise your idea will just make other people money.

15. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm actually a screenwriter (only indie so far:() and that's not really true. Writers in the Writers Guild (remember that strike last year) should make up to %5 of the film's budget.

That mean's if a film costs $50,000,00 to make, which is pretty common for Hollywood, the writer could make $2,500,000. It's not uncommon for writers to make $1,000,000 for a final draft. That's a lot of money!

That's also why there are hoards of writers in Hollywood and nobody selling anything. Everyone is trying to win the lottery with a screenplay. Like I said before, I'm still in the indie world, which means I still need to make money by other means.

That was totally off topic. I'm done ranting now.

16. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I'll have to disagree with you here. I think they're equally important. Creativity isn't worth much without a way to execute it.

Depends on your definition of game. There's a reason programmers get paid a lot of money. It's hard.

17. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Not only that, but programming is an art in itself. Sure anyone can program, just like anyone can open up photoshop and start drawing, but you have to know good design and structure if you want to create something as complicated as a game and do it well (ie. good performance, low memory use, no bugs, etc.)

18. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Exactly. If done right, programming is at least 60% design, 40% coding. Generally, you don't just pick up design. It's not like, "Hey, I know for loops, and switch statements. So now I can make a game." That's equivalent to saying you can make art because you know how to use the paintbrush and select tool in Photoshop. Without design and planning, you're screwed.

19. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Colorado
    Plus programmers are often making key decisions(at least in small companies) over game play aspects... even with awesome art a game won't be fun if the gameplay sucks because the physics isn't just right... in Bounce On we originally had realistic physics but found it was much more fun to "tweak" them a little :-D

20. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #20 dannys95, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    u wont get far like that. i TOO have an idea for a 3d game with a city enviroment. if i wanted i could team up with someone and i could build the 3d city. and do menu buttons in photoshop etc.

then someone could help with the coding.

but like u want u wont get money.