I hate 'Lurkers'... Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by All-Eyez-On-Me, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

No one is stealing anything.

2. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    I said "days later". I would suppose that most people would play more than just the beginning of the game in several days.... And, if people didn't, they could at least post why they put it down quickly. As long as the criticism is helpful, Im sure that the devs appreciate it.

Also, - I certainly did not aim my comments at you. I have no idea what individuals are doing. When I look at games that I am interested in, and I see 7 or 8 people posting about their promos that they got, and days later there is nothing else in the thread - how is that any different than what the lurkers are doing?

Anyways, this subject has been discussed probably 50 - 60 times since I joined TA, and does not seem to get any new ideas, or any more concensus then it ever did.

I'm out..

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    iPad doesn't have flash

4. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Well you contradict yourself here - you say they are stealing (false) but then you say if a dev chooses to post promo codes it is their choice (true).

Therefore since it is up to the dev how to distribute them, their posting is a gift.

Can this pointless debate be over now please?

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #105 Vovin, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    *applause*

Imagine a big glass with candy in a kindergarten.
    Everyone can take the candy freely.
    But people like Random Guy act in such a childish and immature way, as if another child has taken the last lolly before they could.

And what is the matter with Wikipedia? Studies showed that this is one of the most reliable sources on the internet. And as NEG said - look up the Urban Dictionary. "Leech" is explained in the same way there.

I feel sorry for some of you people. Now, with all your ideas shattered and all arguments gone, you can only defend and continue to spread rubbish and nonsense.
    It must be a bad thing when pride and confidence are hurt.

But now things are getting really ridiculous.
    This thread is getting insulting toward not registrated forum users, calling them "Lurkers", "Leeches" and "Parasites". I think that some people haven't understood my (ironic) statements.

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #106 Vovin, Apr 1, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
    One last thing: I thought about the different systems you'd like to see here, regarding the equal share of promo codes to the forum members. Your system has a major flaw.
    Did you even recognize that you would shoot yourself in your own knee by establishing this?

Let us say there are 400 forum users, who have the "right to claim promo codes".

The devs are posting or giving out usually something like 5-15 promo codes... so, lets say 10 codes each turn a promo code thread is made.
    And now we do the math:
    by sharing the promo codes equally, you'll have to wait 40 times (= 40 threads/games) (400 users : 10 codes = 40) to get one single promo code!

Well, what would that mean? That would mean that you will get less codes than you'll might be able to get now.
    And still it isn't sure that everyone writes reviews.

Well, if it is that what you want...
    But I think that even these arguments aren't really comprehensible for some of you.

7. super6ft7

super6ft7 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    For what reason do the members deserve them?
    Well, the dev can PM the codes to members, it's their choice what they do with the promo code, so really stop complaining

8. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Some have understood your statements, some haven't, but then again, what is up with all of these new words? Leeches and Parasites, they have always been called Lurkers on Touch Arcade, it has never changed.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Simply: it's just wrong.
    Because things were always so doesn't mean they are correct.
    If you say "I hate lurkers because they are stealing promo codes" you can also say "I hate Germans because they are thieves". Sure, some Germans are, but not all. The term "lurker" used to describe people who steal promos is false.
    I checked half a dozend other pages, on every page I found the same definitions for "lurkers" or "leeches". I bet some lurkers never touched even a single promo code.

Quite a bunch of lurkers would like to participate on forums actively, if they weren't unsure or shy. Throwing around with prejudices like they steal promos doesn't help the situation.

10. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    You make quite a defense their Vovin, and, I have to agree with you on this one:)

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Thank you, appreciated! :)

12. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Promo Code thread should be blocked against leechers!

13. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    yea you should need senior member status

14. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Come on, be reasonable-that places too much emphasis on being a "senior member". You become a senior member once you post 100 times-thus, people would rush to get 100 posts under their belt, without caring about quality. spamming would increase, helpful quotes will decrease, and the site will turn from a helpful forum to a place where people race to get to a certain amount of posts

15. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    I dislike complainers, but then I'd be disliking myself.

16. DarkeMage

DarkeMage Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    High School
    Sydney, Australia!!!
    I'm on another forum, and the admin blocked off a section for members who dont have atleast 50 posts. Maybe that would work.

EDIT: I didn't notice Fruho's post..

17. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    good idea. another thing the devs from nanomechs did, was: they put the codes in an txt file which they attached the O-post, so you needed to be a member to open up the file with the codes. cool idea +1 for that :)

18. #118 LostLegend, Jun 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
    Simple method: hide the forum and put guests in a group that can see that forum only after they have at least 50 ish posts.

Edit: seems like I see the same way as mage lol

19. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Unreal, you resurrect a 2 month old thread that died a natural death in order to complain and get everyone all riled up again for the gazillionth time? It is the age old debate. It will never get solved. The way it is is the way it is. If you can't get your free games then buy them. Simple. And stop complaining and trying to come up with solutions that will not work and if they start to work there will be complainers about that and so on.

I think the admins and mods know what they are doing and I think the rest of us peons should just let them do their jobs without having to police pointless complaints.

20. zbob

zbob Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    +one
    totally.