I hate 'Lurkers'... Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by All-Eyez-On-Me, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #81 Vovin, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

Calm down.
    She hasn't meant you directly. She just quoted you but meant the majority of the promo code forum users.
    There are a lot of users who only dwell there.

2. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Thank you Vovin for stating the obvious. The comment was a GENERAL comment for all those that love to only hit refresh in the promo section.

Also, the comment was one line out of a whole post that was responded to, completely out of context of the point which if left alone it would be made painfully obvious that it was a general comment. In fact, I answered a completely DIFFERENT comment by that user and then added my own thoughts about other matters to the response - had nothing to do with the poster's comment.

But then again, something makes you pause and reflect why such an innocent comment would trigger such a defensive response.

3. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Over at CAG (CheapAssGamer) they limit the threads you can see in their deals forum unless you're logged in. Although this doesn't necessary get rid of lurking all together, at least you know someone at least is a member of the forums.

4. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #84 Coldar, Mar 31, 2010

Lookers Under Radar Kan't Even Register

(....kidding, kidding)
    ....yea, know of the "K"
    a spur of the moment thing

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  6. HippieChic

HippieChic Member

Mar 24, 2010
    SAHM
    Florida
    Well I'm a member. Just recently joined. And I do mostly lurk, not necessarily to get free codes, but because most of the time I really don't have much to say. I either don't know the game being discussed, or I've got my two crazy boys screaming in the background. However, I do participate on other forums (parenting stuff) and the only way to eliminate lurkers is to make the forum private. Even then someone could register as a member, never post, keep their account logged in, and take the free codes just the same.

I think if you want to prevent lurkers from taking the free codes, you need to send PMs to users that you KNOW will rate your game. Just my $0.02! :D

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #87 Vovin, Mar 31, 2010

It is not about lurkers. They come, dwell and go on unnoticed and cause no harm to anyone.

They are talking about those dammit lurkers who dare stealing their (and the devs) precious promo codes! :eek:

Maybe we should call them "plurkers" in the future to distinguish them from the normal lurkers...

Well, our brainiacs already came to this conclusion and started to develop a phenomenal respect system... *sigh*

By the way - maybe you should say a little more in the future. I appreciated what you said and it wasn't totally dumb. ;) :D
    My boy is babbling in the background, too... doesn't keep me from posting.

8. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    I agree with Vovin - don't let a baby babble from having you post - believe me some people post incoherently and they don't have an excuse.

I don't know how the word "lurker" got tied to the people that steal promo codes only. Vovin got it right again - plurkers they are!

The thing is, by definition, each one of us is a lurker at one point or another as I said earlier in this thread if we read a thread and do not comment. Maybe we have no comment on that subject! Maybe we don't care to take the time! Face it, when you say I hate lurkers (to avoid any confusion this is directed to all not just one person) you are including yourself in this as well.

9. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

In Internet culture, a lurker is a person who reads discussions on a message board, newsgroup, chatroom, file sharing or other interactive system, but rarely or never participates actively. Research indicates that "lurkers make up over 90% of online groups" (Nonnecke & Preece 2000). Lack of trust represents one of the reasons explaining lurking behavior (Ridings, Gefen & Arinze 2006).

Source: Wikipedia

If you call these people something, it should be "leech" or "leecher" and not "lurker":

In computing and specifically on the Internet, being a leech or leecher refers to the practice of benefiting, usually deliberately, from others' information or effort but not offering anything in return, or only token offerings in an attempt to avoid being called a leech. In economics this type of behavior is called "Free riding" and is associated with the Free rider problem.

Source: Wikipedia

10. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    So then the thread name should be changed from lurkers to leeches! Vovin ftw (again)!

11. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    +1 to that.

12. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Look at his source. Wikipedia.

13. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Maybe, a leech is a bloodsucking parasite, not a promo code stealer. But, it is very annoying, so yes, this could be called 'I hate leeches... Do you agree?' Then again, people might think we are talking about we hate leeches sucking our blood, lol:D

14. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA

Or an exotic delicacy........mmm....mmm.....goood!:p

(man, gotta stop making these comments)
    especially after my post on posting things of worth....lol

15. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    :D:p

16. New England Gamer

Jul 30, 2009
    And what about it? Look at Urban Dictionary too. That's where most of the language around here comes from. Do you need a bunch of links for the use of that word as an informal term? Even Merriam Webster defines it as a "hanger-on who seeks advantage or gain."

@All Eyes On Me - you got it partially correct since the colloquial meaning of leech(er) is a derivative from the traditional meaning. Lurker is not a promo code stealer either.

Would you guys prefer the term parasite?

This is really getting ridiculous.

17. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    Parasite works, and yes, this is getting very ridiculous.

18. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    It doesn't matter what you call them. The fact is, that, they're stealing promo codes, and there's nothing we can do about that. If developers choose to post promo codes instead of PMing them, then that's their choice.

19. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Not to be a fly in the ointment - but I have seen lots of people claim promo codes promising to leave reviews and put impressions in the threads, and days later, no comments, no reviews... The lurkers are no worse then many of the people that claim the codes.

20. RankoSao

RankoSao Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    College Student
    State of Hysteria
    I was under the impression id need to play more than just the beginning of the game to make a good review...