I hate 'Lurkers'... Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by All-Eyez-On-Me, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    In fact, there should be a separate thread for the 'Reputation system' idea.

2. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

PM the thread creator and suggest he add it to his first post then :) I'd do it, but considering the discussion, he might listen to a senior member more quickly than I. ;P

3. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Definitely agreed.

4. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

I agree that their should be a thread directly targeting this system, but it also pertains to the access of promo codes, so keep it here as well! :) TA mods and developers need to see all of this that has been discussed so we can get something done about it. ^.^

5. JKK Photography

JKK Photography Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    /dev/null
    #45 JKK Photography, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    As for the rating system: Take it from someone who has moderated, used, and been a member of, forums that use it: It becomes a bargaining system. You want an answer? Give me a high rating.

It never works as intended.

However, I think a better approach is to have the Promo Codes section be open only to members. Before you accuse me of not wanting it to be open to people with 1,000+ posts, and a minimum of six months of being here, look at my sig. I can get promo codes using that.

I'm just saying, if you cut down on the number of people who have access to the promo codes to much, watch the devs stop posting them. It's simple supply/demand.

6. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Yes, but look at how many members will automatically get that privilege. I can spot several JUST in this thread. Developers will have plenty of valued members to review their apps, and many more to come. 1000 posts and 6 months, theoretically, isn't asking much. That's why I implemented the rating system. And if the rating system happens to not work, TA can make it optional for developers to apply rated or unrated promo code access. Just like a poll allows you to choose whether or not users can select only one answer or multiple answers, before submitting the promo code thread, developers can have the option to select how narrow of a community they'd like to project to. We'll leave it up to their discretion, that way they still post promo codes as they'd like AND reach the community intended, be it everyone who nabs a code or a specific group with experience.
    Example:
    Option 1: 6 months, 1000 posts, AND 4/5rating minimum
    Option 2: 6 months AND 1000 posts
    Option 3: 6 months OR 1000 posts
    Option 4: Any members can access
    I think with some tweaking and timely progress, we can make it work. Like all good things, it takes work. We can treat the system like a game review until it is perfected.
    Good credentials, by the way. :)

7. JKK Photography

JKK Photography Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    /dev/null
    True, there will be plenty of people right off the bat. I'll give you that; touché. Probably enough to allow developers to keep going at the pace they choose.

Still, how many Senior Members actually go into the Promo codes section? I guess you could argue more would if the lurkers weren't stealing them.
    Once again, I'd prefer to stay away from a ranking system; eventually (it could take a year or more, like on iPtF) it turns into a currency and bargaining system. Sure, not making it necessary is a good step, but really. Would the TA team be up to implementing all this if it isn't even necessary.

Keep in mind Arn (admin) is experienced; I believe he owns and runs Macrumors, a site unto itself in the forum world. He may have already tried a system with that site, which is far older than this.

8. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    I was a lurker here for 6 months! lol

Than it was time to give back and leech promo codes with a username :p

9. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    This is why we need respect points.

10. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Respect points will help me reign supreme as the ultimate iDevice gamer.

11. Ooo...shiny

Ooo...shiny Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Chemist
    Bay Area
    I have been to forums that restrict access to certain areas to members only, so I know it can be done. But if the devs that posted the codes cared they would just require a response or have a contest/quiz.

I think if enough devs put up a stink about it maybe there would be a change to the forums, but like I said above; devs who cared could just require a response in the thread rather then complain to the site administrator.

12. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Thank you for your thoughtful comments.

1. Devs don't give away promo codes for the benefit of specific members, they do so for the publicity and discussion it generates. Being viewable to the largest number of people is seen as a "feature" not a "bug".

2. If devs do want to reward logged in users or senior members, they can choose to do so when they give them away.

arn

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
  14. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Can the USA members of this forum realise that The Rest Of The World cannot get these codes and so we see you as just whinging for your freebies.

If Apple ever do open codes up worldwide I have no doubt the same people will be crying that the USA deserves more because they are americans and so it's not fair for americans to get less just because some foreigner gets one that really should have been theirs.

It's a freebie, you missed out, get over it.

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

That's not entirely true, it's really easy to create an American iTunes account, which a lot of people do around here. :)

16. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Exactly. I've seen countless people create iTunes accounts made for different countries just so they could download a game early (For example: when We Rule came out for Canada and Parcel Panic for the UK). I've seen people create American account to get our promo codes because they seem to be more available. I don't think there's been all too much whining. :)

17. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I think you're just jealous;)

18. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
  19. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Which is exactly what I do.

20. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #60 Coldar, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010

This has been re-hashed so many times. Over 1000 posts? There are many people with that many or more that just have this to say........+1.
    That is reasoning for them to be legit and called a dedicated veteran?
    I've seen noobies come and go and the first thing they do is try to rack up post counts to look like a seasoned TA member but it just stands out more when you see their join date. Check their history and see what they REALLY have to say. I have and most was just as what I posted above. (+1)
    Or senseless garble that shows an obvious intension of bumping their post count up.
    Same class as lurkers imo.

I have a low post count for my join date because I try to put thought into most of my post (not all...lol) but most and try to make it worth something than just one liners. Its EASY to get a high post count.
    No......I don't agree with this....sorry.
    If there was a way to implement something I'm sure Arn would have thought of it long ago.
    Nice to try to think of ideas but this isn't it.