I hate 'Lurkers'... Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by All-Eyez-On-Me, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All-Eyez-On-Me

All-Eyez-On-Me Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Yes, I love your idea about the button one too, so simple. Also, the developers say that they just get too tired of PMing everyone back a promo. Imagine how many Pm's they get.

2. Inzanedude

Inzanedude Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Student
    Michigan
    I still like the concept of PMing the developers to get the last three characters of a promo code or just to get a promo code. That way, Junior through Senior Members can get promo codes, lurkers won't get any, and the devs will have a better chance of getting reviews, seeing as people caring enough to PM for a code would probably review.

3. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

CassieTheChaoticCupcake Well-Known Member

I say we give promo privileges to those who have been members for an extended period of time (say 6 months or so) AND have a specific number of posts (over 1,000 would be fair, I think). That way we can rule out the people who haven't been around and/or active. If someone makes an account and lets it sit for 6 months... Well that's no good now is it? To ensure that they're a dedicated TA member, they need to have put both time and effort into their membership before they earn something that the veteran senior members definitely deserve.

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, devs would probably get tired of PM'ing. Plus, it's a bummer when you get a PM back saying "Sorry you missed it" (happened to me with Monster RPG 2... and the day that I got rejected from Z2 beta at first. Not a good day).

Yeah, the button is so far the best way to go, unless anyone else has any great ideas.

5. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    You do realise that what your saying eliminates you from getting promo codes.

6. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Indeed, I do. And though I can probably rate and review games with the best of you guys, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably be angry. It's like having a nice job with a big company that you've been faithful to for years and your promotion is given away to the new guy who's only worked there a few weeks. I understand and I'm willing to work my way up and EARN those codes. It's better to eventually have something nice to look forward to rather than have everyone steal them before the valued reviewers get a chance. This way, developers know whose hands their app will be in. Dedicated members who actually take the time out to play the game and write a good review on it need to have their hands on the promos rather than someone just looking for a freebie.

7. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    Wow, people need to think before they say stuff.

EDIT: Let's ask someone to move this to the 'Site Feedback' section.

8. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    And this thread is in the wrong section, by the way. It should be moved to the Site News and Feedback section of the forums.

9. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Very well said. Devs can also post promo codes to an attachment that only TA members can see. I've seen a few do that before which is a really good idea.

10. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Supporting the TA vets... Ok, you're automatically cool.

And I see where you're going with this. I also like the system where devs have a lite version and the people who want the full do a review of the lite, and the ones who do the best get a promo for the full version. It really determines who wants the app and is willing to work for it the most.

11. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    Agreed:)

12. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    I have seen that too. What a lot of people do that seems to work is tell why they want to play this game so bad, and the people that give the best reasons get the codes. Also, the developers usually tell people not to send PM's if it is this type of discussion

13. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Another suggestion to incorporate to all the previous ones is a rating system. It will require TA to do A LOT of work, but I think it'd be nice to have it as a future possibility. We should have a system where members can rate other members' reviews, and from there the developers can offer promo codes to senior members (with the 6 month and 1,000 post minimum still in mind) with an average rating of 4/5 stars or higher. Using this method can ensure that our community and developers get the best feedback and that the members with 1000 posts aren't just making 50 random posts a day that take little to no effort. Whaddya think? :)

14. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    It's called a Reputation system. All other forums have that, except for TA of course.

15. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Then I hope some of the mods see this and hop on it xP Notify somebody that runs this thing.

16. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Wow... impressive... Keep it up, and you'll be going places dude. :cool:

Awesome idea though. I really like it. Then again, we have a bunch of people who would joke around and give people like Kijib (just check out his iTunes reviews) 5 stars. There'd definetly be people screwing it up like that, but this is a pretty respectable community, so I think it might work. The problem is, what if the mods go through all that work and it turns out that the system is a bust? Not trying to shoot it down, since it was a fantastic idea, but I think that the system may be abused by some.

17. All-Eyez-On-Me

Mar 27, 2010
    Yep:rolleyes:

18. Random_Guy

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Well, you can only 'Rep' a person once, so that eliminates people abusing the system.

19. CassieTheChaoticCupcake

Systems like that will always be abused. For example, on those "Hot or Not" type websites, there will always be the jealous users who go around rating everyone else's picture a 1/10 and rate themselves or a friend a 10/10. The same thing is going to happen here, but those people are a minority in large communities. I think enough people will give appropriate ratings that the hand full of irresponsible users won't even matter. I'm sure the developers will understand that, which is why I gave lee-way with the 4/5 star rating. :)

20. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I think we can all agree that TA is a respectable community enough to rarely abuse the system. So it's definetly a good plan of action. And that said, you presented such a great argument that I really have nothing left to say...

I think we should have a list of the possible ideas that could work for this problem on the first post.