I hate DRM!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mindfield, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    It's about balance. Putting in a serial code during installation? Yeah, I'm fine with that. Disk checking? That's fine too. But after that, that's where I draw the line.

I can even use your analogy too. Locking your car is fine. Basic security measures, like serial codes and disk checks. But the measures after that are akin to putting a massive cage topped with barbed wire over your car every time you park it so NO ONE can get into it with any ease at all.

But if someone's determined enough, they WILL remove that cage and take your car in the end.

2. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #22 dyscode, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
    I agree with you! But _unfortunately_ the DRM balance line is not drawn by you but by the unproportional number of pirates.

Compared to harddisk/floppy authorization of the 90ties and the involved hassle even the iLok looks like a convenient tool. Yes, we have sunken this far.

And for the car we are quite there, if you see some alarm system for more expensive car triggering off as soon as some one touches it. :)
    And yes if some one IS determined they will get it. But it already helps a lot that the next best idiot cannot do it.

3. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    car alarm means nothing to anyone anymore.. maybe when they first came out.. but now if a car alarm goes off everyone ignores it. that's my experience. they go off way to much here in AZ. so people have been condition to ignore it and move on.. defeats the purpose of the damn thing.

chris.

4. Car alarms were a victim of their own success -- specifically, they went off too readily. They're like fire alarms in apartment buildings; they're almost always false.

However they have one good feature: They're so damned annoying that even if everyone's sure it's a false alarm, they're still liable to stick their head out and yell for someone to shut the bloody thing off.

5. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    excactly.

similar thing what´s happening to DRM products. They cannot differentiate anymore who is the real enemy. So they go off at any occasion.
    Damn thing you cannot ignore them. You´re only option is not to use them.

That´s what´s happening to WAVES audio plug-ins and me: I simply don´t use them.

6. My problem is that I don't really have much choice. I needed this package for the current project I'm working on. It's one of only two packages of its kind that I am aware of, and the other one is both more expensive and requires yet another package (which is equally expensive) to function. Not that I wouldn't mind that other package (it has its own nice features) but I just don't have that kind of budget right now. So this was my only viable choice. Not using it really wasn't an option. If it were of lesser importance or I had reasonable alternatives I'd say sure, but unfortunately that simply isn't the case.

7. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #27 dyscode, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    Yes I see your problem.

It´s not that Ease West is one of the bad guys, they are really nice and dedicated to their products. Though there PLAY software is not exactly praised, But it should do the job.

And the situation now is, either you have Kontakt with NI Online authorization, which is pretty convenient if you ask me and use all the mostly DRM free products from smaller sampling houses Or you need an iLok. Apple EXS and Steinberg Halion Formats are really less common now, though there is still much content floating around for it.

There is also the GIGA Player and Soundfonts. (e.g. G-Player for Mac) etc.

Anyway you got your stuff working. That´s what counts in the end.

8. yeah; that second package I mentioned (Tonehammer Requiem) requires NI Kontakt, which doesn't come cheaply.

I also ddn't get all of my problems solved. I can't get sound out of the damn thing. I load a patch and try playing using the keyboard, but nothing comes out when I use the primary audio driver in its settings, and when I choose ASIO it can't initialize the driver (despite the fact that I have no trouble using it elsewhere).

No, I don't have many good things to say about PLAY at the moment.

9. dyscode

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Ok, here I am at my wits end.

I have never worked musically with a PC. I only use Windows for for gaming.

For everything else I used a Mac. It´s just closer to my workflow concepts, and I actually understand UNIX a lot better than the Windows structure.

Although I slowly start to venture in music PC. Mostly because of Reaper.
    There is a Mac version also, so it´s easy to replicate and most of my friends use PCs, too. It´not acutally that I want that.

the soundsonline.com support might hold some answers. But I guess you already checked.

so good luck

10. Nothing in their KB or FAQs to cover this. I've posted in the forums but no suggestions have worked so far. I may end up having to call them or E-mail their support directly, depending on what options they have available. :p