iPad I am of the belief that "Peggie" should get boycotted.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jmelrose, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    Not much more to say, I just wanted to point out before people get excited about the excellent game "Peggle" being available in the App Store that it isn't quite there yet. The game currently in the store, "PeggIe, is a concept clone and (I believe) an intentionally misleadingly-close name.

Do as you will, but if nothing else be aware that the game "PeggLe" is still apparently a month or so away from release. I suggest holding out until that game comes out.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    No offense jmelrose, I just disagree.

3. jmelrose

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    Please expand, Rich. While I don't mind the clone aspect of the Peggie game, I do take real issue with the name, particularly since it is so easy to look at Peggie and think it is the "real deal." Even if a boycott is too harsh for your liking, at the very least there should be a "buyer beware."

Tenn, while I appreciate pointing out the thread discussing Peggle, I offer that the topic of THIS thread is quite different than a simple discussion of the awesomeness of Peggle.

4. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I think you have a point with regard to the name. I think it is deceptive and that there will be accidental purchases. There could be people that mistakenly buy it and (presuming they might not like it because it isn't peggle) have that reflect poorly on Popcap.

5. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    This is when you press the red alert symbol (mod alert) in the post and recommend a title change, then continue discussion in that post.

I agree with the Buyer Beware, but really that should be a given as is.

Anyone who looks at Peggie for more than a second can see it's not Peggle, not only the apparent i, but also by the screen shots. It's not like they named it PeggIe with a capital i or anything. I agree the name is somewhat deceptive, I just can't blame them unless they tried to go out of their way to pass it off as the official Peggle.

6. jmelrose

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    I would say that is true IF the buyer knows the original Peggle. If they only know there was a highly acclaimed game called Peggle but are unfamiliar with it much beyond, that.

*I* personally was VERY excited when I saw Peggie in the TA app feed, and clicked immediately. IT was at that point when I saw the art style (or lack thereof) in Peggie that I realized it was a different game.

I do give the dev of Peggie a bit of credit for not putting "Peggle" in the description of the game, so if one searches for PeggLe, Peggie doesn't come up.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #8 rIcHrAnDoM, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    Ok, I don't completley disagree, and I do see your point. I just see many other similar "intellectual rights" near violations that I think it is unwarranted to single out just one. I'm not saying you are wrong... I wouldfirst email the developer with your concerns and post back to us their response. Just a suggestion.:)

Btw, I appreciate your approach in addressing this issue. Also, a somewhat belated welcome to TA.

8. jmelrose

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL

Thanks! I'm not sure why my join date is Dec 2008. I've been reading TA since summer... I can't believe I wouldn't have posted something in the forums earlier than December!

9. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I look forward to more contributions from you in the games forums as I do believe this topic warrants it's own thread.

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    This is why, IMHO, devs have really, really got to think long and hard about the branding of their games.

I think quite a few games get overlooked because of so many crap apps with similar looking and/or sounding titles.

I pointed this out to the developer of SPiN. I know it's title in total is "SPiN - Super Shape Puzzle", but those searching for "that game they've heard about that's supposed to be good" and enter "spin" in the App Store search engine will be met with a bunch of stuff titled "spin" or similar titles that aren't the game that everyone digs.

I could see something similar happening to "peggle" vs. "peggie". Word of mouth doesn't come with pictures, and so a person who hears about "this cool game called 'peggle'" might enter that into the search and be met with "peggie" and download that. Is it very likely? Maybe not...but it is possible.

Coming up with proper branding is difficult. But if something catchy, recognizable, and unique isn't thought up the end result is brand confusion, which very well might lead to a loss of potential sales.

11. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I really don't like these "boycott" threads. Sort of get me angry.

There is no reason to hate or abandon a fun game because of a misleading this name. To be honest, nobody really cares about this Peggie game. There isn't enough interest around the problems to make boycotting it useful whatsoever.

12. rIcHrAnDoM

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Calm down, buddy:eek::D

13. squirpe

squirpe Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Software Developer
    Honolulu, HI
    It's a bit cheeky, certainly. When I saw 'Peggie' come up on App Sniper. I initially took it to be Peggle at first glance of the word. But it quickly became apparent that it wasn't Peggle.

Ironically it actually helped the Peggle developers in my case. I ended up buying the iPod Nano version of Peggle yesterday because it brought the game back to my thoughts! It's a good game for the plane journey I'm taking in a couple of days.

14. jmelrose

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    I would argue that if it is THAT fun a game, it should be able to ride on its own merits, and without making a name that is very easily misread to be the program that it is riding on the conceptual coat tails of, and to at least some extent the reputation of as well.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that ANY dev creating an original IP would be opposed to consumers defending the originality and creative vision of that IP for them. Sure, it might "keep ya honest" as far as not ripping some other company off, but I think people on here have been pretty open to the idea that a Match-3 game (or whatever ekse there are a gazillion clones of out there) can co-exist with a lot of similar games, so long as each game tries to set itself apart from the others. In that case, what sets off the game as DIFFERENT from the others should be a focus, instead of the similarities. Isn't that what most companies releasing a first-person shooter have to do these days, show how it stands out against the rest?

In this case, I really think that the Dev rushed out a clone of Peggle to market, put on an intentionally misleading name, and figured he'd make a few bucks before the real deal arrived. I don't think its' a coincidence it arrived the same week PopCap announced Peggle is on its way to the iPhone in March, and the price dropped a few days later. If this dev changed the name to something not so easily confused with PopCap's title, I'd have never thought for a minute about a "boycott" but I think in this case it's just a dev being either shady or extremely unknowledgeable (is that a word?) about what is already on the market. Changing the title of Peggie would so a long way to make me see this situation as the latter instead of the former. I think it is very telling that as I type the names of Peggie and Peggle in this thread, when I go back to re-read what I wrote I constantly have to look closer to see which game I am referring to, as one a laptop screen there is a ONE PIXEL different between the two names.

I feel a bit odd having to defend my opinion that as a consumer, I look at Peggie and find it insulting that a dev would try to trick me into buying a game I loved on the iPod. I'm sure the Peggie game content is original (the levels, at least, as the gameplay seems to not be), and I have no doubt it is worth $2 to some. Does PopCap ever post on here? Maybe they have a take on the matter. Perhaps the Peggie people asked them first if they can release a gameplay clone of one of their most popular titles with a name that looks the same even though it is actually one letter off, and they agreed...

15. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
  16. I did get a refund to that $4 rip off game btw. Glad apple saw the light for the scam and fraudulent game that it is. Sadly my one star review on itunes got removed though and now just bunch of fraudulent 5 star reviews remain. Regardless the name isn't the same since the forced name change so people won't be duped.

17. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    I can't say I'm too upset about your highly offensive and immature review being removed. You got your refund. Be done with it. It took me all of 5 seconds to realize this was not the original Peggle. Wishing STILLBORN children on the developer is incredibly inappropriate, not to mention unhelpful in the context of a review.

18. Yea should've took a screenshot of my review for keepsake it was classic. If he dipped so low to call it Peggie I felt highly justified stooping to his level. Any review on itunes you can click on their name and choose Report a Concern. Evidently apple didn't seem to agree it was offensive otherwise they would've removed it. It wasn't removed until I was refunded my $4 which makes sense to me. I agree though all those fake 5 star reviews really are helpful though helping you make your purchasing decision. Go figure.

19. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    What a sad and childish response.

Reviews should be written to convey feedback about the game, not to let everyone else in the world know that you are too stupid to use basic reasoning skills to discern the difference between the letters L and I.