I am looking for some dark/weird/offbeat games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Human X, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Human X

Human X Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    #1 Human X, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    Hello

I am trying to find some dark (like Crow, Oscura or Nihilumbra) or offbeat games. I enjoy World of Goo and Waking Mars and I am open to all suggestions and genres. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

2. UnleashthePower

UnleashthePower Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2011
    I played Yesterday and thought the plot and story was really good. It was defiantly dark and offbeat.

3. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Man, haven't said these 2 words in a while: Puzzle Agent!!!!!!!

4. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Incoboto

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Time Ducks takes the cake for me. Pizza vs. Skeletons is pretty damn weird. You also might want to try Catball Eats it All. You see, you're a cat. With no legs or arms; yo know, a ball 'o cat. You inflate yourself to float, roll, and bounce yourself around a circular, bizarrely shaped world to eat all sort of stuff, then, when fully fattened, you Eat the game world up piece by piece.

6. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Weird platformer (very dark, everything made of shadows).
    Quite simplistic, I got it when it was free

Shadow Love

Strawberry Gohan
    Everything is made of shadows! This action game is designed using hand shadow puppets!!! It's fun to watch but even mo…
    $2.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Everything is made of shadows! This action game is designed using hand shadow puppets!!! It's fun to watch but even more fun to play! Enjoy the artistic world of the shadows. :) Rabbits, crabs, snails birds, flowers and so on... It's a side-scrolling action game with hand shadow characters. Aim at the illuminated goal by controlling the rabbit with right/left and jump buttons in order to clear the game. [Features] ○ 35 unique stages ○ Include the boss battle ○ Support Retina display(iPhone,iPod touch) ○ More than 10 hand shadow enemies
    Information
    Seller:Strawberry Gohan
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Jun 06, 2012
    Updated:Sep 15, 2020
    Version:3.06
    Size:20.8 MB
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (6)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dark Horror
    Prisoner 84 - third person shooter
    Elder Sign Omens - board game
    Call Of Cthulhu - turn based strategy
    Rebuild - city construction zombie defense
    Tactical Soldier: Undead Rising - turn based strategy
    Aftermath - semi dual stick shooter

Comedically Dark
    Monster Wars - tower defense
    Henry & the Psionic Overlords - rpg / board game

Weird
    Meow Meow Happy Fight - dual stick shooter
    Yipe 5 - jrpg
    Four Winds Fantasy - action RPG
    HungryMaster - swipe monter kill style

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Bullistic Unleashed
    CreaVures
    Cut Him Up Pro

9. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Not dark, but this one is a very offbeat and funny Metroidvania style game

J-Werewolf: EP1

A flying saucer landed on Earth; its enigmatic pilot asks for help. Ghosts and monsters lurk inside his magnificent cust…
    $1.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    A flying saucer landed on Earth; its enigmatic pilot asks for help. Ghosts and monsters lurk inside his magnificent custom painted flying saucer, but Eileen, the new ninja in town, is at the right place at the right time and so she gets to go on an adventure that is as nostalgic as it is NEW.

Inspired by really good classic games like Ninja Gaiden, Super Mario and Metroid, Mystery of the J-Werewolf was designed to be as comfortable as holding an old NES controller, but also to use the modern features of iOS devices in unique ways.

A classic platformer made by someone who played lots of them. The old meets the new in this new spin on 2D sidescrollers!

==================================
    What people are saying? Do you really want to know? Yes? YES YOU DO!

"a great job at feeling modern while still being very retro" - 148Apps (4 stars out of 5!)

"it looks good, the sound is a treat for anyone who gets off on nostalgia, it's fun to play, and it has a talking dinosaur" - Slide to Play (3 stars out of 4!)

"music to the ears of anyone who’s been waiting for a retro iOS game that actually captures the spirit of retro game design rather than plopping pixelated graphics over bare-bones gameplay" - iFanzine

"its often hilarious writing makes it worth a download even without the deliciously classic gameplay" - Appolicious

You can see a gameplay trailer on the Support link (or http://is.gd/jwerewolftrailer)

This game is Retina Ready for iPhone/iPod and iPad. Sure, since it's pixel art, all you get will be larger pixels. But, hey: at least we're safe from horrible, blurry interpolation!

As of 1.06, J-Werewolf has 3 touch-screen control options and supports Joypad and some other popular joystick hardware. One of these options should really fit your needs. PLEASE, try them all before writing a review. The controls in J-Werewolf are fine!
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Dec 21, 2011
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (11)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

10. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    #10 jecebn, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    Grim
    It's a platformer thts dark and definitely weird. You control a baby carriage and try to escape a man in a cape and top hat. You must avoid obsticles such as a drunkard throwing beer bottles at the carriage and crows that try to fly away with the baby

Oh, and you can launch the baby at the enemies angry birds style

11. Gene effect and it's free right now! It is really dark.

12. Human X

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    #12 Human X, Jul 9, 2012
    Thanks for all of the suggestions:) It will take a while for me to look at all of those. Much appreciated.

Edit: If anyone has played any of the games I previously listed, Limbo or Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, those are the sorts of games I am looking for. Preferably iPad compatible, but gameplay over graphics. Inexpensive would be a nice feature too. Thanks again.

13. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    #13 Darth Ronfar, Jul 9, 2012
    Grabatron
    Grimm
    Trundle
    Incoboto
    Manchurian?
    Aquaria?
    Robot wants kitty?
    Adventures of Timmy
    Deathworm

14. Human X

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    I am considering buying the full versions of both or either of these games. Have you bought either and if so, are they worth it?

15. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    If you like dark sordid humor, I can't recommend Hector enough. It's a point and click though, but one of the best.