Universal HyperRogue (by Zeno Rogue)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Royce, Jun 23, 2016.

1. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    <3 I like the simple aspect of the game but deep mechanics of each land

2. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Simple question: is this game turn based?

It looks really interesting, but I prefer my roguelikes turn-by-turn as opposed to frenetic.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    It is. You move, then they move. If you don't make a move, neither will they.

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    There is also a "shoot 'em up mode" that is realtime in the PC version, and according to the website, is planned for the mobile version. I'm not sure how well it would work with touch controls, but it would be a pretty cool way to mix things up if it gets in there.

5. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Thanks, LG. Now I'm one step closer to picking this up.

6. zenorogue

zenorogue Member

Jun 29, 2016
    The new version is ready! It has new lands, a new icon, shoot'em up mode, and achievements and leaderboards via Google Games. Issues reported by LordGek should be fixed too.

7. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Nice! The scores are definitely displaying better now, thanks.

8. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks dev!

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @zenorogue
    How do I disable music? I see something in the base config about background music but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does the game have any sound effects other than the music?

On an unrelated note, why does the local highscoreboard appear to start at #2 with no way to see #1?

10. zenorogue

zenorogue Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Sorry, it appears that the option to disable background music in HyperRogue does not work at the moment. Of course, you can still turn off music using the general controls (my iPad has a volume up/down button, and also a slider appears when you drag the bottom line of the screen).

Regarding the scoreboard, I suppose that's because your #1 score was achieved in some special mode (shmup, Euclidean...) and thus it is not shown, but it is still counted -- of course that's not how it should work either. Thanks for reporting!

11. zenorogue

zenorogue Member

Jun 29, 2016
    The issues mentioned by Lord Gek should be fixed.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I can see #1 of the leaderboards now, but I still can't disable the background music.

Also, something new. On the End Game Screen, the blurb of text mentioning how to unlock the Graveyard is clipped on the right (at least on my iPad Pro display).

13. zenorogue

zenorogue Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Disabling the background music worked for me... Anyway, the new version has sound effects and separate controls for sound effects and music volume, so it should help too.

14. Ijipop

Ijipop Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Just bought the game.
    This is genius.

15. baconcow

baconcow Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2017
    #35 baconcow, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Been going through the tutorial slides on the one from the website (version 9.4n) and this game is blowing my mind. Just picked it up on Steam. Going to probably get this on iOS. How does this play on the iPad, versus using a mouse on PC? For those who might think this game is shallow, go through the tutorial. I have never seen a game put so much thought into the mechanics of its environments. Some of the concepts here are reminding me of the book The Elegant Universe.

I hope the iOS versions continues getting updates, especially to version 10, when that eventually releases.

16. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Is it just me or does the iOS version have zero save states if the app leaves nemory? Given that obtaining the orb of yendor can take a fair bit of time, it seems like you need to do everything in one sitting otherwise you risk starting over if you exit the app. Is there a save + exit button anywhere?

17. zenorogue

zenorogue Member

Jun 29, 2016
    @zen_mode Unfortunately a save feature available at any time is very difficult to add because of the structure of the world. However, the game should be saved if you exit the app after picking up an Orb of Safety (while it is still active). Orb of Safety should be easy to find in the Land of Eternal Motion and Crossroads (after you pick up 10 Phoenix Feathers in LoEM), and also in the Prairie.