Hyper Sentinel - Inspired by Uridium and TLL

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by four5six.pixel, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. four5six.pixel

four5six.pixel Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    @Sobriquet,
    Good to hear it has started to gel with you. The game *is* quite hardcore so you do need to spend a bit of time with it to begin. Hopefully things are feeling a bit more fun for you now.

On first appearance it seems like a game that you can go in and blast away at everything. Unfortunately you will die quickly if you do that. So, as you have said, you need to take in each level, learn it's course and placement of objects, gun turrets etc. so as to work out the best strategy of working the level. Take note of the energy low warning siren and head for safety as best you can to regain energy.

The first 3 levels are about learning how the game flows. After that you should be ready to take on the game proper. Don't worry about score chaining and the like, that's for later when you are going for high scores by playing through from the start without being destroyed (which resets your score if you opt to retry)

When I release the next beta update, the controls should feel a little easer too.

2. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    1. Eagerly awaiting next week's beta with the sliding mechanic, yeah.

3. Didn't report this in my emails, but i'm glad it will load faster (the better).

4. Here is definitely a bit of a learning curve (a good one, imho), but i'm not unhappy with less recoil/slow down for a better overall flow.

I finally reached level 2, and here, on that yellow background, the lightning is much better seen as on the blue one before. I agree with the Dev, it feels much more lively with it. I would regret it, if it would be taken out completely in the final version.

I had my first crash, took me to the homescreen. I just finished the second stage (thanks for the refill tip), back to the menu screen and about twenty seconds later (was listening to the best track, so far) it crashed.

@ testers
    Wondering if others have a similar issue with too little hit-boxes towards the middle screen (all buttons). My thumbs are wandering a bit in the heat of the battle, and pretty (too) soon there is no input anymore. Personally, i strongly hope this gets ironed out next week as well.

The obstacles are a little pain at first, but this separates this game a bit from other shooters. Btw, it took me a while to realize those shadows, too.
    Learning how they look and where they are makes this game even more interesting.
    We've yet to see how the highscore will work, but potentially these obstacles could come in handy from the strategical point of view...or hit it and you lose the multiplier. Time will tell.

3. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    #43 four5six.pixel, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    Hi Qwertz555,
    Well I think the updated controls are done. Don't worry about hit zones of the buttons towards middle of the screen, I've totally redone it, they extend right in now \o/

Lighting is staying and permanent, the toggle button is gone in next beta. You are lucky on iOS8 as you can see the lighting already. Those on iOS9 are having to wait until Apple release 9.2 (should be out really soon now) :)

Sorry about the crash. Slightly strange that it occurred on title screen as there is so little going on. I'll keep an eye out as haven't had that myself.

Now, you mention music. Something to test... you should (if you choose!) be able to play your own music if you start app, then toggle music off and then go and choose your own track. I coded that ages ago so haven't tried it for a long while.

Now, maybe I can get that beta update out to Apple tomorrow if nothing else comes in from testers..... ;)

4. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    \o/

...except for the crash. I did a reboot and it works flawlessly again.

Playing my own music works, and i always like having this option...
    *turns quickly his head around*
    No, Fractures isn't behind me, lol.
    No reason here for me to play anything else. Intense gameplay, lightning and music are so harmonized.

5. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    1.0.4 is now with Apple, hopefully it will go through quick so I can send it out. I'll put all the update notes in test flight.

It's been a tough week, so I'm going to sit down with the game now and have a play - I reckon I can get to level 6 in one shot :)

If anyone else wants to join the beta, let me know - you will be most welcome.

6. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    New beta is now available on TestFlight for all testers. Email me direct and/or post on here with any feedback as usual.

Thanks!

7. FRACTURES

FRACTURES Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013

whaaaaaa?

8. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    Ha ha... If Qwertz wasn't such a good beta tester I'd throw him out Rob (although it was my fault for even suggesting he could turn the music off!). O-o

9. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Thanks...so it was...phew!
    *can sleep again without pepper spray under the pillow*

Btw, great improvements on the controls. Sliding between direction buttons is possible now, and they all have bigger hit zones as well.

It's always (and only) a pleasure to beta test, if the Dev(s) is also listening and reacting to our inputs.

10. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    I'm just starting to put together an instruction 'screen' so players know all the ins and outs of energy bars, flip dodging etc before they start. Also I'm part way through putting together level 10 which has a cool new mechanic in it :cool:

Then I just need to balance the chaining score system a little.

After those I'll start to implement GameCenter before getting back to finishing all the levels in the game.

11. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    #51 four5six.pixel, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
    December Update

December Update!

First off, there's a new full gameplay video of one of the early levels. You can watch it here in full 720p60fps glory!

Also, beta 1.0.5 has just hit Test Flight with a whole load of updates, including a completely new relative touch control scheme. All the details of the update are in Test Flight for beta testers so be sure to check it out!

Beta invites are still available for those that want to be a part of it - don't forget you get your name in the game credits of the final release game. Just drop me a private message with your email and gamertag for the credits and I'll send out an invite.

All beta testers are welcome to send direct feedback to this thread.

Have fun with the new video and build!

12. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    Holiday update

Beta 1.0.6 has now hit for Test Flighters.

Control options now implemented with sensitivity adjustment
    Coloured level obstacles
    Extra bonuses
    More shootable formations

Loads of cool extra effects, bonuses and fun to be had!

Enjoy the update everyone!

Beta invites are still open if others want to spend a small amount of their time testing and giving feedback .... and of course getting your name in the credits :)

13. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Good news!
    After quite a few updates, the Dev finally nailed the controls. Well, at least i love 'em, lol. You can choose between two, and each comes with four sensitivity options to please most players, i guess.

Every stage gets more and more challenging and even more beautiful concerning colors and additional enemies and traps.
    Absolutely no walk in the park and a big hurray to your needed dodging and shooting skills. Though it's not comparable to a Cave's shmup (this isn't a shmup!), but you'll have to play a stage over and over to get to know it and finally get a better score as well.

14. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Any new progress on this beauty?

Btw, when i say "this isn't a shmup" in my post above, i only mean, don't expect bullet hell.

15. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    When is this dropping. Been hoping and patiently waiting.

16. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    Sorry for the delay in news guys. There is a lot of exciting stuff happening with Hyper Sentinel right now. As soon as I can I'll update everyone.

What I can say is that you're going to be in for a real treat...we only get one launch, and we want it to be terrific!

Cheers!!

17. retroboy27

retroboy27 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Male
    Data Analyst
    Ohio, USA
    It's been a while since I've heard any news. Is this still in the works? I hope all is well (foremost with the programmer, then with the game).

18. FRACTURES

FRACTURES Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    It's very much still in the works. Jon has been working on iOS, PS4,Xbox One and PC and Mac versions - there's a free demo for the PC and Mac you can download now. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to it on there though. The game looks great on my MacBook screen.

19. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I know test flights are out and there's a demo out but how close are you from a full release?

20. four5six.pixel

Jul 2, 2015
    Software Dev
    UK
    Hi guys!
    Thanks for the concern. Hyper Sentinel and myself are doing fine.

We're looking for a simultaneous cross-platform release. Unfortunately this has meant a delay in releasing on the iOS and Apple TV platforms. We are aiming for roughly June this year.