Universal Hyper Light Drifter (by Abylight S.L.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 24, 2019.

1. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    You can go back to town and upgrade whenever you have enough upgrade points, and can then return at least to designated warp points. But man did I learn the hard way about respawning of certain areas as I try to fight my way back to continue looking for a final triangle piece.

andsoitgoes likes this.
  2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    On the other end...you can take advantage of this to farm gold.
    Some places have monsters that drop gold when you kill them, and they respawn (of course they are in the worst and most inaccessible places...like the prison or the crystal world).

Does anyone know what the 'soccer' game is about?
    Found it and was like...what???

3. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    the game is about pulling your hair out in pure frustration because that little mofo is the best god damn goalie/goal maker this side of the world best soccer players. I literally haven't been able to score on him.

ON THE FLIP SIDE, I did manage to make progress in my NG+. Finally pushed further into the crystal world. NG+ really forces you to work on your tactics; Forcing enemies like the "crystal-pikemen" to charge at you first, counter with a backwards dash into a charge-attack to decapitate them. Likewise, Im finding the guns so much more valuable in NG+ because certain enemies are better dealt with from a distance, the "crystal-wolves" for instance, are tricky to dodge because they lunge to attack at such a close distance, and they recover from their attack animation and start running again REALLY quickly, so any sort of gun *COUGH* SHOTGUN *COUGH* will work wonders in NG+. It also forces you to be a LOT more selective in the number of enemies you take on. I haven't gotten to the "frog-king" side of the world yet, but I am really NOT looking to fighting the "jumanji-plant" monsters that dash across the screen. They were frustrating without NG+.

4. EmilianoDTH

EmilianoDTH Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    does this game have gamecenter sync so you can keep your saves between multiple iOS devices ?

5. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    No but it’s coming with the next update. Confirmed from the dev studio on reddit

andsoitgoes likes this.
  6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I don't know if I could give you any tips - but I've gotten 452 dashes. I opened up the first reward - but getting 800 is gonna be a PAIN.
    I just stuck to the bottom section, started at one wall, dashed 4 times toward the other wall, and then 3 in the other direction - and kept going back and forth every 3 dashes. My thumb felt a little raw towards the end of my 450.... and then I screwed it all up and ran into the middle table thing.
    I imagine it'd be a lot easier with a keyboard, or by using a keyboard to joystick app that would let you use a d-pad on a controller while playing on the PC... but.... it's quite the feat on the touchscreen. I don't know if I'll be able to do it.
    That purple outfit might just be the only item that I'm unable to collect.
    <shrug>

as for the soccer game - this helped me quite a bit - https://www.reddit.com/r/hyperlightdrifter/comments/9tu0lk/how_to_win_the_soccer_game/

Ringerill likes this.
  7. RJ Toca

RJ Toca New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Male
    Does anyone else’s game keep crashing halfway up the central town tower?

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I haven't had any crashes. What device + OS version are you playing on?

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Damn this NG+ is challenging.
    =D
    I'm at 3 hours and 26 minutes, and I've only just beat my first boss (it was The Hanged Man - the West boss). I'm not sure if the time resets when you die and are sent back to your last save spot - but it feels like it took me MUCH longer than 3 and half hours to get this far.
    =X

Anyway - I'm totally diggin the higher difficulty, and I think I prefer this game on the touch screen. I still haven't beaten my GOG (PC) version. Maybe that's just because I've been able to spend a lot more time with it, though.... I dunno....
    But it is a great fit for the iDevice.

On another note - I'm SO FREAK'N STOKED for Solar Ash Kingdom. Can't wait for that to get released.

10. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    That second Heart Machine does indeed look awesome. Can't wait for it to filter over to my iPhone or PS4 since I don't have a PC.

Man I am stuck in this game. Well, at least in an OCD completionist sense. I got through the east and north bosses without much problem and cleared west (actually first) but put off that boss until now and just wanted to get some other things done in terms of collection first.

I literally found no keys in the north (??) but did get all the triangle widgets. Figured I'd go finish all the widgets in the east next but I've come across this area that I think actually leads to a key. It's this speed run over multiple (8 or more?) fading platforms and I cannot for the life of me clear it. I even tried busting out my mifi but that seems even worse. Anyone remember it and have any tips?

I should just move on but I want that damn key because I only have 3 so far, and only one outfit to boot!!

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Blah. I'm at this spot too.... I've done everything else in my NG+ game (except for the South section), except for this one spot in the East.
    =P

I did it in my first game.... but..... I guess all I can say is dash. Dash like a MF....
    =P

Other than that, I'd just say watch a walkthrough - here's one with all of the east's collectibles (the section you're talking about is at 20:50)....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVg-tbkVNro

12. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yikes, I'm especially disheartened if YOU can't clear it!

But yeah, I concluded that this is simply git gud moment. I just can't maintain that flash movement phase with him for that long.

At least it's extremely easy to get to (for everyone else's reference, this is south a page from the East warp point and then East, where you need to laser a switch to get to the challenge). So I've moved on for now and have cleared West including the boss.

Onto the South!

13. RJ Toca

RJ Toca New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Male
    Appreciate the reply syntheticvoid. Just a heads up that abylight is aware of the issue and plans to fix it in a future update. So, for the time being I'll be unable to climb the entire tower and I'm pretty sure I'll never come close to beating the dash room challenge.

Here was their reply: "It is a known bug and we’ll try to give a solution in a future update. Thank you very much for reporting; if you wish you can send your report to [email protected]"

And here's the floor my game continues to crash on:

[​IMG]

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Ha - I managed to do it last night, right after posting.
    Now I've beat the southern boss, and am working on the tower boss (the one that you get to from in-town, through the 6 key door - right after you get that throwing dagger as a weapon). OMG..... this MF..... I've died here more times than I've died at any other place in the game. And I just checked my save file - I'm at 14 hours and 43 minutes in my NG+ game. It's taking me longer to get through the game with 3 HP, but all my dashing and sword upgrades than it did when I was searching for gearbits (coins) to buy those upgrades.
    =X
    I've read in MANY places that NG+ is supposed to be a shorter experience, but.... right now, it's already taken me longer, and I haven't gathered the last 4 southern modules yet, or beat the final boss.... so....
    <shrug>

Anyway.... great to hear you've beat the western boss!
    I found it a lot easier to beat him once I found out that you can guide him to the frozen enemies in each of the 4 corners of the square while he's doing his sword attack, and he'll destroy them, which means he can't summon them.
    But I really feel like he was the most difficult boss for me in the game (up until this stupid 'Tower Boss' that I'm at right now, and of course - the last boss is gonna be a PITA!!!!).
    =P

The only thing that I'll have left to do is gather up the last 4 modules in the south and find whatever monoliths I haven't activated yet and that'll be it for me.
    I'm not even worried about that 800 dash thing.... I've hit 480, and I don't think I'll ever get more than that.
    So I won't completely 100% the game, but.... yeah.... I'll be done with it after those modules and monoliths. And bosses....
    =X

I might revisit it in a few months.... it's such a great game. I don't know why it took me this long to play all the way through it. I've had it on my PC for a few years now, and.... I haven't even beaten it once on there.
    Whatchoogonnado?
    =P

15. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yeah this will easily go down as one of my all time favorite games.

Funny, I just beat that tower boss (not on NG+ of course) yesterday. There's a corner based solution to him too, though you may already know. When there's four of him attack the real one (watch the eyes) and the other 3 attackers go away.

Congrats on that damn East fading panel challenge. I thought maybe the increased stamina outfit might help me, but nope! I DID beat a similar challenge in the West, with those rooms full of friggin spikes. Sheesh.

16. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Thanks....
    Yeah that west dash challenge was more of a pain for me than the east. <shrug>
    And the tower archer - once I noticed the bright eye, it got a bit easier. Still took me about 25+ tries though.
    I just finished the game this morning. Final time was 17:42.
    And I still haven't 100% completed it yet. I don't know if I have the drive to go back and look for all the currency and take on the boss rush mode though.
    It is strange that I didn't get the 800 dash outfit, but I still got the 'collect all outfits' achievement. I guess that one's an outlier.
    =P

But this is definitely one of my favorite games available in the AppStore. For any year. It's just magnificent.
    =D

17. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #97 houseofg, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Ok there's another disappearing floor platform challenge that's available in the South, after you beat the South boss (who was so easy I thought he was one of the mini bosses!), and while it's a much more straightforward path in having the exact same problem. My guy will just stop moving for no good reason. If I try the exact same chain sprint moves on the surface I have no issues and zip along. Something seems to be very glitchy about these challenges.

Interestingly, I did a search and saw people complaining about the same thing on Switch, thinking the floor animation is causing framerate drops. It's both bizarre and utterly annoying because it's doesn't feel like a skill issue (which I could live with). And so I can't get one of the 8 wedge pieces it seems. Grrrr....

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =X

Strangely enough, it only took me about 3 tries my first time through to get through the South's dash challenge. But I did have quite a bit of trouble when playing my NG+ save....
    I did get it though.
    And never experienced any framerate issues on my 6S.

Oh! I also finally got the 800 dash achievement + outfit.

<shrug>

Maybe I've just.... gotten incredibly comfortable with the touchscreen over the years.

19. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Ha, I knew you'd go back for that achievement! Grats! Yeah, I'm sure it's not a framerate issue. That would be quite a coincidence on two different platforms I'd think. But I can't explain why chain dashing is less efficient on those challenges then on normal areas. Shrug. I must be pressing something incorrectly.

Everything else in this game has been relatively easy but that type of challenge has me stumped. No way I'd ever get that 800 dash achievement on touch either though!

20. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Ok this is hilarious. I figured out my problem on the disappearing platform challenges. I was pressing the dash button way too fast. I thought my problem was that I wasn't twitch enough to beat it but I had to think of it more like a rhythm game (and I hate those). You just have to keep a fairly slow, but extremely consistent, beat basically. Reminded me of learning CPR!

So I got the South challenge pretty quickly after slapping my forehead on that one. We shall see in the East!