Universal Hyper Light Drifter (by Abylight S.L.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 24, 2019.

1. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    I took this into account, and later engaged in an extended (ie, 2-hour) playthrough during which I found that the borders do not interfere with any aspect of the game. It’s really difficult to imagine that an action title with pillarboxing could work so well. The aesthetics and controls are top notch.

Boardumb likes this.
  2. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    I am playing this amazing game a lot so far.
    It's not only just a game. Should be counted as art IMHO.
    I always stop to play many games in progress by some private reason, however I will complete this game I suppose.

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    5 hours in and I’m literally LOST in this wonderful world.
    Like, really really LOST.
    Still figuring out what some parts of the inventory actually mean.
    Fights are really tight...bosses fights are even tighter.

If the dev is reading...the ‘getting up on your feet after death’ animation should be skippable. It’s a tad slow and after 10000000000000 times you see that is getting old.
    Wonderful title so far, I’m playing on iPhone X and tbh I don’t notice the side bars at all after 1 min in. Actually they are well integrated.
    It’s really a title that sucks you in into it’s world, but do not be deceived by the ‘serene’ exploration...this is a harsh title....fights are really tense.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I definitely agree that it is a challenge figuring things out but I'm enjoying it. I think it does the "figure it out yourself" pretty well. Some games do that and it becomes a mess but here, I'm slowly figuring things out as I go along. Like gathering these "chips" for upgrades, important locations, understanding images / unspoken scenes, etc. I think it's pretty great how it tries to show you everything without explicitly telling you. Admittedly there are still many confusing things for me but I don't hate it. It really immerses you into this world and makes you want to learn more.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Oh don’t get me wrong!!!!
    I’m loving it, it’s part of the experience!!!

L.Lawliet likes this.
  6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    For the ones interested, the dev just answered me via Twitter stating iCloud will come in a future update, awesome.

Meanwhile, I just took down my first boss....super intrigued.

ioso likes this.
  7. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Question, its not possible to be in an area that you shouldn't be right? Meaning, want to make sure that I didn't go to a spot that's meant for later in the game after you have upgraded.

I may just need practice, but was curious.

Also, would love to be able to move the dash a little further from the sword button. Any shot at customization controls?

Amazing amazing game

8. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I think my biggest wish would be to hold down the shoot button to manual aim. Aiming with the move button totally throws me off. My idea would be tap to shoot (as it is), then hold it down and drag to aim it manually. I'd probably need to ask the dev.

On another note, the more I play, the more I'm in love. It's just a beautiful experience and fights are hard but rewarding. And then this is probably the best pixel art game I've ever seen on mobile. It's too good to look at. The sword swing animations are gorgeous.

houseofg and JasonLL like this.
  9. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Yeah, shooting is really awkward and my biggest complaint with the game. Is making me lean into melee but know there will probably be some boss fights and other times that require shooting to be an effective part of the strategy.

houseofg likes this.
  10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    It was probably since Galactic Keep I wasn’t so absorbed in an alien word so much.
    I’m 8 hours in, 3 zones completed and I’ve still no clue about what the story is about, but I’m having a ton of fun fighting all sort of different monsters/aliens and exploring (some zones took me forever exploring every nook and cranny...the prison was insane).

Awesome title, plays wonderfully on iPhone X.

Music and sounds are really out of this world, top stuff.

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#51 Anotherkellydown, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Regarding the shooting - if you hold down the shoot button you can you can aim with the directional stick before releasing to shoot.

I just got my first upgrade and can’t use it because it requires you to press the sword and dash buttons at the same time. I’ll have to use my mfi controller. Not a huge deal, but it would be nice if there was an easier way other than using two fingers to activate it.

Love this game. I’m at the first boss. Think that’s farther than I got on the Xbox version before it went to the backlog.

12. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    I am in love with this game. I’ll post a longer almost “mini-review” soon, but the final boss fight was easily one of the most challenging/satisfying boss fights I’ve experienced in years. This game is something truly special, and serves as an absolutely shining example of “games-as-art”. New Game+ already started. Time for round two.

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You don't have to press both buttons at the same time, just press one and then the other right after.
    =)

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  14. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I know that's how you aim but it's very hard to do in the heat of battle because you always are trying to move. It feels very unintuitive to have to aim the gun with your movement controls in a game that's heavily focused on constantly moving.

Though maybe it's designed so that you have to stay in place to shoot.

houseofg and anthony78 like this.
  15. Anotherkellydown

#55 Anotherkellydown, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Thanks man, I’ll give that a try! I purposely tried that already but I’ll give it another go.

Edit: I tried tapping sword then dash (and vice versa) in quick succession and still no luck. I know it’s not working that way because I checked the dash-attack animation (by using two fingers) and it’s different than when I do one button after the other. The upgrade I have is circled in the pic below:

015E700A-AED1-4660-8511-187198C2AEB8.jpeg

Ah, I see what you’re saying.

16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i just want custom button placement!
    it is much better up close on the iphone than on my ps4, almost ready for the first boss (east)
    btw, noticeable slowdown and heat on 6s+ when in crowded battles.

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmm... that's strange.... I can seem to do it.... it even drains my stamina....
    And yeah, I knew what upgrades you were talking about... I've got the two that you need to do the quick taps with.
    The dash and then attack and the attack and then dash....
    Maybe it's.... a timing issue?
    Or am I just not doing it right?
    It seems strange that two different upgrades would have the same two buttons be pressed at the same time.... as the game wouldn't have any way of knowing which upgrade/power you were wanting to preform...
    =/

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  18. Anotherkellydown

And I’m a fast presser too :D

Sounds like I just need to practice that. Thanks for confirming it works.

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    It doesn't have to be super quick - you know how the first two dashes of a dash combo you need to press a little slower - and then to keep it going you need to speed up your taps?
    To do the special moves, you need to press dash and then attack or attack and then dash at about the same speed as you would press dash and then dash in the middle of your dashing combo.

I hope that made sense.
    =X

Here's a short video of me doing it - hosted on my Google Drive.

20. Anotherkellydown

#60 Anotherkellydown, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    I didn’t know about the dash combo but that video definitely helped. Thanks again! :)

Got it! \o/