Universal Hyper Light Drifter (by Abylight S.L.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 24, 2019.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So happy to have this game on my phone.
    So far, it's playing phenomenally. I was worried about the controls, as I don't have an MFi controller that works with my iP6S, but the touchscreen layout is perfect (I think I might actually like it more than I like the layout on my controller while playing on my laptop), and the framerate is perfect on my relatively old device (almost 5 years is still old in terms of phones, yeah?).
    If you're a fan of.... well.... this game checks a TON of boxes across a wide array of genres. If it looks even remotely interesting to you, chances are, you're going to really enjoy the hell out of it. It's easily one of the best games I've played over the last few years. It's right up there alongside Hollow Knight, Dead Cells and The Dishwasher - Vampire Smile in terms of how much enjoyment I got out of it, and how hooked I became once I clicked with the game.

On top of that - even if you already have it, the addition of a few new weapons and a new area to explore with (one of the best parts of the game) a new boss to fight at the end is freak'n GREAT. I would have double dipped even if this wasn't the case.

$5 is a straight up steal.

ramzarules likes this.
  2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Ridiculous game for only $5. It looks absolutely stunning on my iPhone Xs and does not disappoint. The pixel art is some of the best I've seen in my life and the game is a pleasure to play. The sounds are also especially noteworthy - everything feels well a quality game. How is this $5 again?

Controls are not bad but take some getting used to. There's a slight delay between attacks and dashes so you have to get used to them. Also using the gun is the most challenging aspect. Some of the puzzle sections and platforming areas are really difficult for me so if I'm still getting stuck I might restart to the easiest difficulty. (I couldn't figure out how to dash across all the timed fire pits because of the delay between each dash so I had to give up on this portion)

3. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    this was on sale on the switch eshop and i bought it. super great game definitely bought again for ios. small gripe but i still can’t stand the icons name like “HyperLightDrif...” other than that definitely worth the price

sharfaust and L.Lawliet like this.
  4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Stunning game. Only played a bit but love the art and the controls are great. Love it when we get big name games like this come to iOS

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    any overheating/ battery issues?

6. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Played about half an hour on iphone X no problems at all!

ramzarules likes this.
  7. sakara214ever

May 10, 2012
    Yeah i was fooled by the screenshots. And on iphone i can barely see what is going on might try it on ipad

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, no overheating that I can tell. And I've been playing for about 3 hours and it's only drained about 40% of my battery at 1/3 brightness and little/no sound.

As for seeing what's happening... I have already said that I've played the game on PC, but even if that weren't the case and I wasn't already familiar with the gameplay, I still don't think I'd have any problem playing on my 6S.
    Not trying to say that your experience is invalid...
    it did take me a while to get comfortable with the visuals when I first played on my laptop...
    Do you have any previous experience with the game, or is this your first time playing?

ramzarules likes this.
  9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm playing on an iphone xs. No problems here with the visuals so far. Yeah some small graphics and that but nothing too different from similar top down shooters i've played in the past. Epic game so far

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Almost 2 hours into Hyper Light Drifter and I’m really liking what I’m playing.
    I’ve still no clue about almost anything....but I’m getting the general setting and I’m starting to solve puzzle and the like.
    Fights are really tight.
    Sometimes it feels like a sci-fi Zelda.
    Or if Bastion and Sword&Sworcery had a baby.
    Works really well on iPhone X, with negligible battery usage.

Despite being there from day one, I’m still amazed by the games we are getting on our phones these days.
    A real steal.

sakara214ever and solarnya like this.
  11. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    It’s playing great on my XS. Yes, the side bars are a little disappointing, but don’t really notice (and typically that bothers me).

Have never played before so have absolutely no clue what to do/where to go. Based on my first 30 min, I think It’s one of those where I’ll slowly start to figure it out before it clicks.

Loving so far and solid purchase.

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    It’s playing great on my XS. Yes, the side bars are a little disappointing, but don’t really notice (and typically that bothers me).

Have never played before so have absolutely no clue what to do/where to go. Based on my first 30 min, I think It’s one of those where I’ll slowly start to figure it out before it clicks.

Loving so far and solid purchase.

downgrad3r likes this.
  13. sakara214ever

May 10, 2012
    First time playing yeah no problem no offense taken :) It is and looks way better on ipad so i am playing it there and i am having a blast. It is really a steal for such a low price! Thank you!

14. downgrad3r

downgrad3r Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2016
    #34 downgrad3r, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    For those interested, the dev addressed my inquiry regarding fullscreen support on Apples’s latest flagships. This greatly impacts my experience, but I hope that they go on to have tremendous success on the platform.
    My App Store review after responding to Boardumb and L.Lawliet at # 41 below: After an extended (ie, 2-hour) playthrough, I found that the vertical borders (ie, pillarboxing) do not interfere with any aspect of Hyper Light Drifter. The aesthetics and controls are top notch, making this an easy recommendation for those with Apple’s latest flagship devices. And this from a very discerning customer who generally abhors letterboxing and pillarboxing in iOS titles.

Attached Files:

andsoitgoes likes this.
  15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Playing on the Xs, the bars don't bother me at all. Sure it would be nice to have a full screen but it doesn't ruin the game by any means. The border design also is pretty cool rather than just black bars.

downgrad3r likes this.
  16. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I'm hyper sensitive to side bars but honestly I stopped even noticing like one minute into the game. I think I'd prefer the side bars than a weirdly cropped version of the game anyway.

downgrad3r and jkluk23 like this.
  17. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I would much prefer heal button to be lower so I could use it with thumb on Ipad. Also achievements not working? I died once already and first achievement is for that?

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hmmmm, not sure.... maybe it's that specific achievement? I got the Dummy achievement and it unlocked....

**edit**
    I just looked it up, and apparently, that achievement only registers if you die during the opening tutorial.... you have to make yourself fall off of a cliff over and over until you die.

19. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I see, thanks.

20. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Heck, I'd even like to have it lower on my phone!

Duke12 likes this.