Universal Hyper Breaker Turbo - (by Barry Kostjens)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 22, 2013.

1. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I have been burned by so many brick breaker games on the app store that looked cool then ended up being subpar. I'm buying this tonight you guys better not let me down.

2. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Congrats on the game's release! :) I enjoyed the beta test.

3. pdSlooper

pdSlooper Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    USA
    I took it for a quick spin. Died on the fourth level, where the level design starts to get interesting.

It's kind of subtle, but I like the dim squares floating in the background. It's not enough to be distracting, but it does make the overall theme feel less static. I'm a little sad that the neon theme (world?) doesn't unlock for another 129 stars...but it'll give me something to work on.

I giggled at the lava thing. Makes me think of being told by kids that the ground is lava (in a hurt tone, because I'm totally ruining it if I don't play along).

4. VTX

VTX Well-Known Member

Thank you for the extensive testing, your feedback was very valuable for us :)

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #25 Vovin, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    I am already loving this. A brick breaker with different styles, quite some humour and fresh gameplay is just what I needed to have a little break from my Shufflepuck Cantina addiction. Gameplay is smooth and lots of fun. Best brick breaker I played in a while. Just take into account that my first real brick breaker was back in 1986, Arkanoid. And that world-wide mega-achievement was a fantastic idea, btw. Thanks!

6. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Just want to say that this game is my game of the week, I think that will cover it.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Only bought two games and this is probably my game of the week. Its a great new version of Arkanoid style games which is very refreshing. Going to be playing this a lot, normally with past bat n ball type games i might get bored after a few screens and move on.

But really enjoying this one, shall be playing this a lot. Well done devs !

8. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Really,really good brick breaker! So far the best on ios for me. Smooth,excellent physics,actually there's just nothing bad to say about it. Great job guys!
    My guess is you're from belgium? Happy to support my neighbours ;)

9. rzdesign

rzdesign Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Illustrator & (Game) Designer
    The Netherlands
    That's really great to hear! A lot of compliments in your reply! And our intention was to try something refreshing on that classic. Now let's get those global achievements together! Enjoy!

Wow, that covers it completely! Have fun playing all 75 levels (some are quite hard!) ;)

Great to hear that, thanks for your kind words! Try to get all stars in each level, it's pretty challenging in my opinion! ;) If you have tips/ideas for new future levels, let us know!

Thanks! And no, we're actually from the Netherlands! But glad you're supporting us! Really much appreciated!

10. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I, too, have felt spurned and burned by the brick-breaking genre of late. However, this game is truly a gem polished and presented like no other. Great job devs!

11. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Had a blast with Push Panic and really enjoyed the interactions I had with VTX on that one! So as soon as I can I will be downloading this one! Looks great! Congrats on the release. Glad to see you are still around!

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Didn't realize this was the same dev. Loved Push Panic even though I sucked when got really difficult.

Snagging this game now...

13. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm pretty jaded and this game is really good. The ball physics are spot on. I was unsure about the curved paddle at first, but the dynamic that it brings to the gameplay is incredible. Really stellar job guys.

My only suggestion is maybe tweak the controls a little bit. The paddle doesnt do a perfect job of following my finger at times and it can feel a bit floaty.

14. rzdesign

rzdesign Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Illustrator & (Game) Designer
    The Netherlands
    Awesome to hear that you've liked Push Panic! as well! And of course me and Barry are still around! We've been working hard on this one. Also our first game to be self published. :)

Yeah, we've also created Push Panic! As stated in the App description! Also, Push Panic! is FREE for a limited time (until May 30th) to celebrate our Hyper Breaker Turbo release! Let us know what you think!

Thanks! The reason the paddle feels 'floaty' is because at first we've made it that the paddle was underneath your finger. This didn't worked out because you need to see the curve to aim your ball better. So we've made the paddle 'float' a bit higher than your finger, so you're actually able to see this.

15. VTX

VTX Well-Known Member

#35 VTX, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
    Thanks for all the kind words! :) Had a very long day @work today, and had to miss a lot of response to the HBT launch. Catching up as we speak :)

Edit: This first 1.000.000 blocks have been broken :D So the first global achievement is done within one day! That was fast haha :D

[​IMG]

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Just played a bit and loving it so far. One idea (and maybe I'm missing that it's already there) is to give a bonus of how quickly you get through a level, giving even more replay value. Like the whole concept of reaching the finish line though -- it's a nice twist.

17. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #37 Coldar, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    Been waiting for this. Had to wait to get home from work though, now off to the store for a long awaited purchase and I'm very anxious to play.

And Congratulations on the release of Hyper Breaker Turbo. Really nice to see it on the market.:)

Later add: Great game, enjoying it very much. Top 5% Global/Classic Total

18. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Game Impressions

Great game!!!

One issue - when the ball hits a special block, and action stops for the info block - if the ball is on its way down, it seems that the paddle is un responsive for a second or so, and I have lost a few balls that would not have except for that. Maybe it's my dirty screen, but I'm only losing balls with the info screens.

19. VTX

VTX Well-Known Member

I'll look into the issue with the info windows. You're the first one to report this, does anyone else have this problem?

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Enjoying it a lot and having fun working at the big global achievement.

There's just one tiny little thing:
    can you please explain how the 4 stars are earned?
    By not losing a ball or breaking a certain amount of blocks each level? Or by scoring a certain amount of points?
    Maybe you could add this explanation to your tutorial in an update. :)