Universal Hyper Blaster (by Adam Smart)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mj132, Aug 17, 2016.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Combopunk, would it be possible to make it so you can tap again to stop your character when he's moving? I die sometimes (too often) when an enemy is intersecting with my path and if I could stop my movement I might make it out alive.

What do you think?

2. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    It would interfere with the shooting buffer mechanic I feel

3. Combopunk

Combopunk Member

Aug 11, 2016
    I can experiment with it! Definitely! Might be best as a power-up, e.g. something that lasts longer than Whirlwind but increases jump speed and allows you to tap again to change direction in the air.

4. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

I've got to echo half this thread. Controls are not conducive to touch gaming. Your finger ends up in the way more often than not. It's incredibly frustrating and counter intuitive to what the player should be doing.

There is simply no good spot for a players finger to be.

An alternative you might consider, or at least take as inspiration for alternate control methods;

Auto shot with tap-to-redirect.
    This would have the character always shooting, so that it frees the screen space up most of the time until you need to aim elsewhere. The obvious caveat here is that you'd need to reconsider how you approached dashing. Might be able to do so with a quick double tap?

Auto aim & auto shot
    Simple enough. The only the the player needs to do is tap to dash.

Twin stick controls
    Obviously you're tired of hearing this, but, sorry to say, the gameplay screams twin stick shooter.

Twin stick would be ideal in my opinion. The only thing you'd have to do is put a distance limit on the dash. And assign that function to an onscreen button.

That is all I've got.

Wonderful looking game, and assuredly some players are loving it, but please try not to ignore what seems to be a growing number of players that are frustrated with the implemented control method. Or do. lol

5. mintyray

mintyray Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah because we're playing it wrong.
    /s

6. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    It's not a matter of playing a game wrong, it's a matter of taking the time to learn a games mechanics I think

7. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm not even referring to this game, just comments like" this game looks like This so it should be This way" is scaring me the direction the Mobil community is going

8. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Pocketgamer pooped on this game. But they're abysmal anyways so who gives a #

9. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    I totally agree.

I am enjoying how players are divided but I reckon the game was designed around these controls (feel free to step in Combopunk) and it would be a different game if it had virtual sticks.

The first time I played Hyper Blaster I had to adapt to the tapping and holding mechanic and resist playing it like a dual thumb. I mean I still play it with dual thumbs and even on a iPhone 5 I'm managing to reduce my fingers obscuring the screen at the top. So in my opinion, this fast paced arcade game is all about the controls.

Of course any good dev will respond to player feedback and try and update the game to enhance it and I'm sure Combopunk has a few tricks up his sleeves. I was the Producer on Thumb Space which was released back in May and player feedback here on TA was to add 'relative controls' which we did. However, changing Hyper Blaster too much will take it further from it's core idea. Who knows what the future holds.

Oh yeah, my hi-score is 161 on Normal / 52 on Turbo

10. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    I'm on 161 but there was a lot of dying beforehand. A lot. :D

11. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Yikes you guys are starting to catch up to me! Time to get higher scores >=]

12. Combopunk

Combopunk Member

Aug 11, 2016
    #52 Combopunk, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Yeah - the game spawned from a high concept demo around the touch controls :) I was prepared for some people to not 'get it' or to not put the time in (lots of free games, not much free time!), and the beauty of releasing free games as an indie is that I can put new concepts out there and try some cool stuff out. Not everyone will like everything, and that's totally fine!

It's a completely new style, and as mentioned earlier in the thread the game is essentially a turret shooter where you jump around the map with taps; some more experienced players (who are used to different types of arena shooter) take a couple of rounds to get used to this concept. Likewise, some players will always prefer virtual twin stick games regardless - those games are really established and absolutely great.

What I'm finding by chatting to the players who didn't get on with the controls (thanks for chatting to me guys :)) is two fold:

- When they gave it more time, they "got" it as there really isn't anything like this out there.

- They were generally playing on the smaller devices - e.g. an iPod or iPhone 4S. There'll always be the exception to the rule, but playing on a larger device you'll have a much better time learning the game given the play style. It's not the only app on the store best suited to larger screens (in fact a large percentage are designed for iPhone 5 and up now, due to the uptake of these devices), and in releasing a high concept game like this, I was fine with taking that risk. I could have limited devices, but on the other side of things there are players having a ton of fun with the game on these small screens regardless (one of the guys with the highest scores on Twitter is playing on a 4S!), so ultimately I chose not to :)

The support for the game continues to be awesome and I can't thank you enough! I'm personally overwhelmed with the response to aesthetics especially - whereas I was very aware the new controls/interaction concept (and the fact that it's a "little" game, albeit very expandable) would always be at least slightly divisive amongst a more hardcore gamer community, I could never have guessed how players would take to the visuals, especially with this being the first time I've released my own art in such a big way!

13. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    Would love to support more, if you make a charecter for iap I'd deff scoop it up, I wish I could send people the ad unlock but I don't think you can lol

14. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    It's so frustrating trying to travel downward #thestruggle

15. Combopunk

Combopunk Member

Aug 11, 2016
    That's really nice of you, I was thinking of an exclusive character for those who remove ads at least :)

But, yeah, unfortunately Apple don't allow you to gift IAPs! Would be great to be able to :)

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I'd love that if you did that! That's a great idea!

Billy

17. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    I decided to focus just on normal mode till there are some little tweaks. I'm still sitting at 190 but expect me to raise that today =] just unlocked the last weapon as well very interesting.
    I think turbo mode is so fasted paced the one factor being you can't see small fast enemies that could be right off the screen and will kill you if your traveling downward at all kinda leaves it to chance whether I get lucky or not and not my skill unfortunately, and I understand you don't want spawning to be obtrusive but with everything going on you have about 1 sec to know if you should travel over or near a spawn point and I CaNt tell even if I try and look for it if a enemy is actually spawning or not. I Think it should be a very obvious indicator to Watch out' I'm about to spawn something! Lol I find most of these things don't matter as much in normal due to the speed decrease you can still kind of travel and still have the reaction speed to dodge if there is something right off the screen. =D hope this game is getting the love and attention it deserves from the App Store ! I'm still as addicted as Day 1

18. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    That's exactly why I asked for a arrow indicator! It's the same for me!

Also sometimes I will tap to move but the character doesn't move. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know what the issue is.

Billy

19. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    It happens a lot when I'm on the edge of the board, if you click off the actually playing area at all I know you don't go anywhere

20. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    I know combo said he's gunna try and fix or tweak things I'm just impatient lol =P