Universal Hyper Blaster (by Adam Smart)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by mj132, Aug 17, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Actually would it be possible to have red arrow indicators for enemy directions when they are off screen? With my fingers in the way I'm having a tough time.

Don't get me wrong. I already paid for no ads. I always like new and interesting ideas and new ways of taking on genres. So I paid. But I'd like to see so red directional arrows when the enemies are offscreen.

Billy

2. Combopunk

Combopunk Member

Aug 11, 2016
    #22 Combopunk, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Definitely something I can have a look at for you for the next update! Might get a bit mental if there are many enemies coming at you, but it'd be handy at least for the small ones as extra warning :)

3. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Yes please ^

4. deadjam

deadjam Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    Male
    Digital Designer
    London, UK
    This is my game of choice right now. It took me a good 15 mins to shed the need for dual thumb and embrace the touch controls.

Playing on my iPhone 5 I have unlocked Turbo mode and 5 power ups and I'm hungry for more.

I would love to see Game Center integrated to see if I'm beating anyone :D

Well done Combopunk!

5. Combopunk

Combopunk Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Thanks so much! I'm so pleased you're digging the game and can't wait to see the scores people are getting!

Game Center leaderboards eh, I got your back :cool:!

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Thank you for listening to feedback and for taking the time out of your schedule to interact with us!

Billy

7. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    New normal score -190
    Turbo score - 70

Waiting for some challengers guysssss =D

8. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    #28 J.R. Jalapeno, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    While I appreciate the dev trying something new with the controls , personally I don't get it. I think they're horrible and without additional control options I don't think the casual player will stick it out to learn them. Sorry not my cup of tea.

9. Combopunk

Combopunk Member

Aug 11, 2016
    #29 Combopunk, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Thanks for trying the game! We actually found the inverse to be true during testing, where an experienced player who is used to twin virtual sticks took a few tries to adapt to the touch controls, but casual players without this experience became ninjas much more quickly :) The experienced guys soon caught up though, making for some awesome hi-score wars!

190 on Normal is AWESOME! Has anyone beaten that?

Share your scores directly from the game using #HyperBlaster, or post them here on Touch Arcade, we'd love to see them!

10. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I gave this a spin, but got hung up on the controls too.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks very much like a twin-stick shooter -- so MFi Controller support would be nice.

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Like the presentation, hate the controls.

13. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    I feel like the game would be so lame with typical twin stick controls, might as well play the 100 other games on the App Store. Plus a big thing in this game is controlling how far you dash and when. Just being able to constantly run totally changes the feel of the game... =\

14. TempleRacer

TempleRacer Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    I like the concept and the art but I don't like the controls and or camera angles. I always feel like my finger blocks the incoming enemies, so I can't see them and die.

Too frustrating.

Might be better in portrait view.

15. Combopunk

Combopunk Member

Aug 11, 2016
    #35 Combopunk, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    Thanks so much for trying the game, everyone !

I mentioned this a little earlier in the thread, but if you struggled adjusting to the new type of controls I'd recommend using a single index finger to play the game to start with: Hyper Blaster isn't a twin stick shooter per se - it's a turret shooter where you tap to jump position (on normal mode, for example, you can get a moderately high score before you even start needing to move).

The game is tough (but hopefully very rewarding!) and the controls are new, so it can take a go or two to settle in, especially if you're a more seasoned gamer (as a LOT of you guys are) generally because you'll have played lots of virtual stick games or different types of shooters, and there's nothing quite like this out there!

As a one-man dev, it's amazing to see the support for the game from the community, and can't wait to see how you get on as you push for higher scores and more unlocks! :)

16. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    i like it but just couldn't get with the controls. Sorry but I would love a traditional twin-stick a la minigore, radian games etc and MFi would be great. With game center leaderboards to top it off would be brilliant.

17. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    I have to admit first impressions was 'this is pretty awful', but thanks to the responses in this thread, I persevered and changed that impression. Power ups pretty good.

18. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    ^^^ I scares me how many people on these forums are so quick to hate something "new" or "different" =\

19. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    New turbo mode score -138!! Just unlocked the alien and the splitter
    Phew that was intense !! I was at the edge of my seat =D

20. esty8nine

Dec 21, 2013
    If anyone sees any higher scores on Twitter or anything can you post them here? I'd really like to know where I stand at the moment =] thank youuu