Universal Hunters 2 - (by Rodeo Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 21, 2012.

1. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I think you need to go find another thread to troll. This is a genre that the fans take rather seriously. I don't go into the bullet hell game threads and poke holes in advanced "gameplay" based around overly complicated and nuanced score multiplier systems. If you don't get why people care and complain in a constructive, detailed manner about a squad TBS of this sort you have nothing of interest to add for me or probably most of the participants.

2. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Sorry; I have to chime in here: What are you on about?

So far I've pretty much only seen people discussing the potential of the game and keeping their hopes grounded given the issues with Ep. 1.

I loved 1 despite its faults and bought this in a heartbeat. There's no one making a serious contribution to this thread that doesn't want this game to succeed.

3. visionwebs

visionwebs Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    #63 visionwebs, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    You missed a couple of bugs for your negative list... not what I came to post about though! I mentioned on page 4 (quite a long post on first impressions!) a movie bug, and there some one else who posted one about mission 2... though it was mostly a positive experience.

any way.....................................

I just got lucky with my free bonus randomiser.

It gave me a power up that makes all heavy weapons cost 1ap to fire :eek:

What is really strange is that its not an item like episode one, its a totally passive, and permanent effect...

Overpowered and needs tweaking yeah, but it is pretty funny. Now heavy weapon heavy armour people are as good as heavy weapon medium armour people were for me.

Right now it does feel like it could be a serious game to have.
    At this point even with the price, actually i WOULD recommend it.
    But make no mistake this team needs to get a couple of fixes in!

BTW: Turns out the effect wasn't permanent after all. It lasted for one mission.

ALSO: They finally got their fingers out and made hero units for the game like they promised with hunters episode one!! I have a hunter that can shoot range with a gun and male with a sword at the same time!

4. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The cut scenes have all played perfectly for me so I can't claim as a negative a glitch reported by one user. Made through mission 2 without a hiccup either. The only issue I've had so far is a single crash when I went to end a turn in Mission 4, and that resumed without a problem when I launched the game again.

That's just plain stupid as you are describing it. Is it in effect for all your hunters at all times (i.e. most of the power ups in this game are once a mission). I'm just trying to understand how this would have made it into the game when they've nerfed every single exploit from Hunters E1. Seems counter intuitive to nerf something as simple as "get back 1 AP on a kill", which I used to get off two shots a turn with my snipers, but then throw in an ad sponsored super power to let me get off 5 :confused:

5. visionwebs

Jan 24, 2012
    #65 visionwebs, Mar 22, 2012
    Profit must be the only driving force behind the reason for that super power I guess. That IS the underlying story behind the campaign any way :p

I edited my post after noticing it lasted one mission, but it still seems a bit OP, but fun never the less :p

Good to hear about you not getting the same errors. perhaps I should upgrade my IOS firmware and see if I can replay it and find out what happened.

C.Hannum, have you found any legendary weapons yet? I've got a couple of epics at most.
    btw are you getting the bug I have on todays destroy the reactor contract, where your allies blow one up and you instantly fail the bonus?

6. Nortiest

Nortiest Member

Mar 22, 2012
    As you later noticed, the passive gameplay effects you can get from the advertising contracts only last for the next mission you undertake. We feel it gives you a nice bit of variation - when you get a buff like that, it (hopefully) significantly impacts your team selection for the next mission.

The potential buffs you can get are:
    - Heavy weapons cost 1AP less to fire (Snipers, Rockets cost 2AP, Miniguns 1AP)
    - Heavy armour provides 4AP instead of 3AP
    - Medpacks are significantly more powerful
    - Stimpacks are significantly more powerful
    - Stat buffs to each of the three offensive and defensive stats

7. dalbertson

dalbertson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Not to jump in on your question for C.Hannum but I did notice under their more info link (which seems to link to a wiki page) it says your hunters must be level 6 or higher to loot a legendary and even then there is just a 0.5% chance. In my first play through I did get one dropped, it was nice, I immediately bought a new hunter with the perfect skillset to use this..."item" and built him up to level X. I also got one after defeating the final campaign. I like it when games make their legendary items so hard to acquire that when you actually get one its a big deal.

8. visionwebs

Jan 24, 2012
    Actually thinking about it some of these buffs are going to be useful rather than over powered (mainly because its not permanent!), because there is a mission with a particularly strong enemy a few missions into the game. I take it from your post you are a developer.

Thanks for the list of buffs I like to write this sort of thing down in my game notes :) I think it actually shows confidence when a dev gets involved with the community so i'm starting to feel even better about this game now :D

9. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #69 Rivozzz, Mar 22, 2012
    This or Call of CThulahu?????????!!!

10. yacoub

yacoub Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I really enjoyed the first Hunters game so this will be an instant buy for me.

I do wish it had a cheaper up-front cost, like $1.99-$2.99, because I know I'll be buying $10-20 worth of IAP just like I did with the first Hunters. Loved that game. Worth every $ I spent on it, but also excited to see the improvements that a lot of the more serious genre fans have been asking for (including a proper campaign).

Haven't read through this thread yet as I want to keep my anticipation high and enjoy it. :)

11. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Is it possible to fire hunters? Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the whole limited team size is no more and the only thing limiting your team size is your credits, which would make it nice if we could hire and fire until we had the team spec we want and not have a bunch of unused hunters as we are able to hire the talent combo hunters that we're actually going to use.

12. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Did anyone play Call of CThulahu?? Can someone say which is better?

13. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Early doors so far: But Hunters 2 is really slick. This and Ravenmark are high standard and very playable imo. I just love the effects of gunning down the opposition, it manages to be v satisfying.

The 2 things I really like so far:

1. "Every 24 hours, brand new contracts appear and you pick and choose which ones you want to take."

2. Hardcore Mode on/off

Thanks for the slidetoplay review ;) http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/hunters-2-review

14. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    ravenmark well exceeds this game at the moment. i wouldnt say its up to par with ravenmark after day 1. And STP are amatuers.

15. redsky14

redsky14 New Member

Dec 2, 2011
    #75 redsky14, Mar 23, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    Game is so good. I was great fan of first hunters, but this one is much better. I just dont know how many chapters is in campaign. I bought call of cthulhu, but i played just few hours. For me hunters are better. Im already 12 hours in the game. I love hard and hardcore modes! Rodeo tnx for great time i spend with your games!

P.s. controls , design, graphic are really great.

16. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Icloud support? Would be great to switch devices :)

17. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    They love what they do? Great!!

18. JJay

JJay Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Hi. Do you need to purchase things via IAP to play this game?
    Or can you avoid IAP and still have a good time?

19. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

You can avoid IAP and still play fine :) may have to replay the chapters a few times but worth it :D

20. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    No, you don't need any IAP and I really fail to understand why they include it at all.

The entirety of the game after the short campaign is nearly identical to the first one (do daily contracts that are randomized maps, enemies, and conditions). You either enjoy this or you don't, no amount of IAP changes anything but letting you get to the upper tier gear faster (but the top tier gear is drop only anyhow), but since that's sort of the end game as opposed to the start of the game, all you're doing is paying to fast forward to the end instead of getting there on your own steam, and since a lot of the replay value to this game is going to come from tackling the different difficulties and hardcore mode, the consumable IAP (being locked to a single saved game slot) is of dubious value.

I'd rather, as I argued for the first game, ditched the whole IAP credits and "bonus gifts" for watching ads and just rolled out campaign packs for one time IAP purchases. But, it is what it is and you will get the full game for the $5.