How will Gameloft's New FPS, Modern Combat: Sandstorm effect Livefire-KillTest

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Genius, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will you get LiveFire/Kill Test or Modern Combat: Sandstorm?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2009.
  1. Modern Combat: Sandstorm

54 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. LiveFire/KillTest

28 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Both

93 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    God of War sorry :p I think the reasons are when you put a poll about two big companies with big fanbases and then someone expresses their opinion, dissing the other company (and often their fans), it all kicks off :mad:

2. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    i see. and whos the one that dissed one of these companies?

3. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Please refer to post 3 :) Even though I do agree (and said I agreed), I think that it was definately an unwise thing to say.

4. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #64 CaseyLay, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    Exactly. If I wasn't so thrown off by Douche guy's post, I would have given my original two cents.

Honestly, I love it that both NgMoco and Gameloft are going to make great FPS games around the same time. They are both my favorite companies to the iPhone.

1. Gameloft is committed to treating the "Supply and Demand" on the iPhone, and help give the iPod Touch that console-ish feel.
    2. NgMoco brings new and innovative ideas to the appstore, whether they develop or produce the game.
    3. Both of them are the most hardworking companies on the appstore, and are the basis of iGaming growth.

5. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    the thing is how is this game even being compared to livefire. gameloft games are really good. yes i kno that and i also agree. If this game did somehow get multiplayer, this game could not effect livefire. further more ngmoco probably doesnt even care. I just dont understand how this is being compared to livefire.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I played LiveFire/KillTest at WWDC and it owned.

It remains to be seen how much Sandstorm owns.

Something to consider, with how fast the App Store moves, even if these two games came out within a couple weeks of each other, all the hype of the first game's release will have already disappeared and everyone will be looking forward to the next one by the time it comes out.

So to answer the question of what effect Sandstorm's release will have on LiveFire/KillTest: Almost none.

Sandstorm appears to be objective-based single player, LiveFire/KillTest is all multiplayer death match. They're two entirely different games. Speculating on what each existing will do to the other's launch is about as silly as wondering if a Long John Silvers opening next to a Taco Bell is going to drive either out of business.

Different strokes for different folks, some people like multiplayer, and some people like fried shrimp.

7. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Yeah that's exactly what I said 6 pages back. That's why I don't think it will have much of an effect. Either way, im getting both.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    It may have something to do with the fact that we're talking about two games that have not come out yet and that only a few (in the case of LiveFire) have actually played. We have two (relatively) blank canvases on to which we can pour all our prejudices, assumptions, and petty obsessions. Fun!

9. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Hahaha that should be saved in a book for future generations laugh their asses off:)

10. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

Thats not the reason I hate Gameloft. I hate them because they charge 10 bucks for games that last an hour. And, absolute none of them ever got updates with actual content added to the game. None of them have multiplayer either. What makes everyone so sure this one does just because "IT LOOKZ LIKE COD4!!!"

11. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Even if Gameloft's has multiplayer I don't see the autolock gameloft uses in all their shooting games translating that well to multiplayer. I still feel like livefire will be a better game because ngmoco updates their games. And you will not have to pay for weapons in livefire, one of these ngmoco people confirmed this

12. Vinny554

Yeah. But by now there shoulda been more news on this. Instead they just keep playing it themselves.

13. twentyone

twentyone Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    OKC, Oklahoma
    #73 twentyone, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009

I totally agree! I want two different games but I do hope that Sandstorm has multiplayer...

HODAPP, can you use your top-secret connections and find out about multiplayer?:D
    Thanks!

14. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Brilliant!! I agree. Nothing against Gameloft, but NGMOCO is just a way better development company. Im with LiveFire, as Sandstorm looks like just another warfare shooter. LiveFire seems to have the Unreal Tournament feel to it, and I love me some UT.

15. Vinny554

I still dont understand why everyone assumes this is going to be so good! What if the controls are as bad as DMD? Think of that? Also, its Gameloft. So be prepared to spend 10$ for a quick hour of playing. And as you beg and beg them to add more levels and multiplayer, theyll be too busy on there next game to listen....

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I thought I was up with the acronyms, but I guess I'm not. What the heck is DMD?

17. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Boy, just logged on and saw this! :eek: I'm impressed! But it's great timing to release this. Kids are going back to school now and people will show off the game at break (If they have it...:rolleyes:) and those people who saw it will go home and buy it and so on and so forth. Good move on Gameloft's turf. :cool:

18. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Firstly, in regard to the guys complaining that Modern Combat is a CoD rip - get over it. Activison made the decision to give the rights to make mobile versions of Modern Warfare 2 to Glu for all mobile platforms EXCEPT iPhone. So f**k em, they deserve to get their game ripped off, if they decide to ignore this platform! Its like someone said, if there is demand and no supply, someone will try and supply a product to fill that demand.

Secondly, these are 2 very different games from what we've seen so far. There are many different style FPS games out there you know, so why can't the iDevices have more than 1? From what i've seen, i'd say Gameloft is going for the single player game. It might have MP (probably local BT/wifi), but i'm doubting full online - if it did they would have said so as it'd be a killer feature. LiveFire seems more like Quake 3 (fast & frantic deathmatches) with a cool sci-fi style, and the full ranking online MP. Also they are using different control setups, which might make up some people's minds...

19. AwakenOsiris

AwakenOsiris Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I think both games will do well. If modern combat has a single campaign mode then I think it will have a slight advantage.

20. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    An hour? Mostly every Gameloft game I have, I've put about ten or more hours into it.