How will Gameloft's New FPS, Modern Combat: Sandstorm effect Livefire-KillTest

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Genius, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will you get LiveFire/Kill Test or Modern Combat: Sandstorm?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2009.
  1. Modern Combat: Sandstorm

54 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. LiveFire/KillTest

28 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Both

93 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Ohh shit we made Danny mad.....well if you promise not to beat me up, I'll shut up....sorry danny I hope I didn't arouse your anger.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    His rebuttals included

1. the fact that Brothers in Arms is a UbiSoft IP, and UbiSoft and Gameloft are sister companies. So your pointing out how it isn't a "new" IP is irrelevant.

2. God of War isn't "original" either. He compared it to previous hack 'n slash games. I later, in particular, pointed out the relationship to the earlier Rygar: The Legendary Adventure. I could also point out the gameplay resemblance to Devil May Cry, and in turn earlier hack 'n slash titles, which would support his point. ;)

But you chose to ignore those. And still are.

But, y'know...that's the game I suppose.

3. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Great point!!! I'm not talking about borrowing and adding to a games concept that's how genre's are born. But please no more generic formula games.

4. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #44 CaseyLay, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009

Nitako? I thought you said you liked original games and that any other game from the same genre is unoriginal. All Nitako did was that Rasta Monkey game that could be considered a "Ripoff" of Sway. How come people act like iPhone games that resemble PS3/XBox 360 games are "total ripoffs", yet iPhone games that resemble other iPhone games are just fine? Considering they are two different markets, it should be the other way around.

5. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Devil may cry and GOW are similar??? What planet are you from. The GENRE is hack an slash. Doesn't mean they're the same games. Spiffy your such a tool:) and had I the time today to finish our little "debate" I would but sadly I will have to finish this tomorrow. And you appear to be deliberately avoiding the "ir"relevance of some of the posters argument. I'll catch you tomorrow you waskawy wabbit you!

6. CaseyLay

Jul 13, 2009
    #46 CaseyLay, Aug 4, 2009
    Is everyone who disagrees with you a "tool"? So much for respecting other peoples opinion.

What does Guitar Hero, God of War, and Hot Shot Golf have to do with either of the two companies? Besides contribution to the same genre.

7. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    While true, that does not make it a "rip off" in any way shape or form.

And Kirby's multicostume stuff took from earlier games like Wonderboy. "Slow decent" system? I point to Super Mario Bros. 2 USA (Princess Peach has a similar style of platforming). Might even be some Balloon Fight/Kid in there, iirc.

The IP is original. The character designs are original. In fact, they really don't echo other IPs much at all. So saying "rip off" as one would for HoS and Let's Golf doesn't really apply.

The gameplay may echo gameplay in other platformers, but those platformers themselves echo other platformers too. Kirby has a lot of the Wonderboy in Monster World series in it. The Monster World series in turn takes from Alex Kidd. Alex Kidd from Mario. And Mario itself has "borrowed" some ideas: Mario Galaxy has the "planetoid" idea that, in passing, reminds one of the same in a few Ratchet and Clank games, and the even earlier final levels of Sonic Adventure 2, etc., etc., etc.

God of War from Rygar and a dash of Legend of Zelda. Rygar from Devil May Cry, Devil May Cry from just about any 3D beat 'em up/hack 'n slash game, and those games from stuff like Karate Fighter and such. Zelda? Directly "inspired" by Adventure for Atari 2600.

8. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #48 Booch138, Aug 4, 2009
    Yeah I get you bro. And yeah some Gameloft games are plagued with that problem. But not all are bad. I'm not against you or anything, im too liberal to be angry at someone who provides decent healthy arguments lol :D

But yeah to each his own for sure. We shouldn't be verbally killing each other just because we think differently. We all pointed out our views, and we should accept that. Cheers! :)

Smile everyone. SMILE :mad:

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    le'deuche123, I think you have a good point in general, but you're overstating the case when you say things like "Gameloft blows." As has been pointing out before, Gameloft has a role. Before HoS and BiA, nobody (as far as I know) had attempted to make an action game as ambitious on the iPlatform (and after the debacles of Kroll and Force Unleashed, many doubted whether it was actually possible). Unoriginal as they were, those two games opened doors within the platform. They're obviously not the only people to do this, and you could well argue that indie efforts like Touchgrind and Real Racing provide a better model for developers. But you can't deny that they've betted big on the iPhone/iPod Touch platform, and that's a good thing.

This is why I think that Modern Combat success (if it happens) is nothing but good news for LiveFire: it will help convince the naysayers that FPS are possible on iDevices.

10. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008

11. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Well if you can read the title, the debate is on how Modern Combat: Sandstorm will effect LiveFire. It's not on why idiots like you don't want gameloft to bring console like and high quality games on the iPhone. Smart ass. Next time you say something, think about it, Ok? And my diaper is changed. And i contributed 100% to the arguement. So shut it. Alright? And remember The debate is NOT on how you think gameloft has a lot of spin offs.

12. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Ohhh trust me these laughs are too legit to quit!

13. CaseyLay

Jul 13, 2009
    So, you're just a troll?! Dammit....

14. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I think it's fair to say you've got me there. Kudos to you good sir for saying Sonic Adventure 2 instead of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle :D

15. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    What's so funny though is that the original post I made was well within the confines of the thread title. Then everyone jumped on me but that's how I like it. Spiffy youalways sound so smart and sexy, all the time, I just refuse to believe you buy into your own bullshit.

16. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    i think this thread should be closed and a new one should be opened. this thread is just people fighting and fighting.

17. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    I think that won't stop the sheer determination of the argument :p

This has completely gone mad. It isn't even about Killtest and Modern Combat anymore, mainly God of War :eek:

EDIT: I put Gears of War by accident =P

18. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    are you serious? about gears of war? anyone wanna sum up the reasons on why this thread has gone havoc?

19. CaseyLay

Jul 13, 2009
    Not really. You said nothing about NgMoco's game, and talked only about Gameloft games being "iRipoffs" of games for consoles, which didn't really have anything to do with the topic. The topic is a Halo-like game vs. a CoD-like game, not a CoD-like game vs. CoD.

20. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    It didn't start that way I swear, but then everything just got so fun.... Sorry:)