How will Gameloft's New FPS, Modern Combat: Sandstorm effect Livefire-KillTest

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Genius, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will you get LiveFire/Kill Test or Modern Combat: Sandstorm?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2009.
  1. Modern Combat: Sandstorm

54 vote(s)
    30.9%
  2. LiveFire/KillTest

28 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Both

93 vote(s)
    53.1%
  1. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    #21 CaseyLay, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    Why laugh at the story? It wasn't funny. And it's based off of Greek mythology. The mold they broke gave people a 3D hack n' slash game for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Supply and Demand. And God of War isn't original either. Their have been many hack n' slash games before it.

Original game franchise? Yes. Remember, Gameloft and Ubisoft are sister companies. Both are French companies that were created by the Guillemot family. Original story? Not everything has to be absolutely original. And you may not know this, but there actually was a WW2. I'm not kidding. World War 2 was real. Brothers in Arms is a game based off of history. If you made a history themed game and gave it "Original story" then it would not be a good game.

I never liked that too much anyway. They did really well on it though.

Let's golf doesn't rip off from it at all. All the sounds and Graphics are made by Gameloft. And take a look around. There is no Hot Shots game available on the appstore.

A port to the iPhone for people who liked it on their cell phones. First, you get on them for being unoriginal, and NOW you get on them for using one of their original games?? Hypocrite.

What about this new game is even shitty? You said at first that their games aren't bad, just not original. What about this game is going to be that bad, you think?

2. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

MC Sandstorm wont do shit to LiveFire unless its also online multiplayer....but we all know those Gameloft bastards.....

3. Lockdown.

Lockdown. Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I think people will buy both games just because sandstorm has a story and killtest has online multiplayer

4. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Definitely not. ngmoco is a huge company when it comes to iPhone games and they have a massive loyal following of fans that buy every game, no matter what. For example, Star Defense was just another TD game, but many people bought it anyway due to ngmoco making it. Also, the ngmoco FPS was shown at the 3.0 keynote, which is also a factor that will lead many to buy it regardless.

5. twentyone

twentyone Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    OKC, Oklahoma
    For the love of God, can we please know whether Modern Combat has mutiplayer or not?!!

I mean, they make the announcement and state that it has been submitted, etc. but no other info?

6. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Okay aside from the fact that your bringing up completely irrelevent rebuttals, I'll admit that maybe the game won't be shitty. What I should have said was, It will give you just enough to fill the niche. That's it. WWII really happened?? Holy shit?? And it went down just like in BIA?? That's amazing. I can't believe I got to play a piece of history. Gameloft only gives you what comes standard to the genre. Seriously they might as well have just called BIA "Third Person Shooter 1"

Oregon trail was made by gameloft??? That's weird I didn't think they were around in the seventies.

Lets golf, looks and plays just like hot shots. My points not that game loft can't create a decent game. They just never do. They "create" games that are undicernable from the games they emulate. I like let's golf, I really do, but to me it will always be hot shots.

Honestly I have no reason to sway your judgement of Gameloft. You like em' I don't. Live with it.

7. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    /agree

I was going to say about Orgeon Trail, I played that sh!t on the PC 15 years ago, Gameloft had nothing to do with it hahaahah.

Reagrdless, I think Gameloft will do a good job on this. Just from the sheer look of it, it looks like a good Mobile FPS. Nothing more, nothing less.

8. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    both, because theyre 2 totally different games, only difference is that they're both FPS

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You could state the same about EA. Yet I don't see any of that from you or the "Gameloft hate posse".

I wonder why....:rolleyes:

Regardless, they fill a void. They bring over known UbiSoft IPs to this platform (Assassin's Creed, Brothers in Arms), bring out licensed stuff (Terminator Salvation, NFL 2010), and some new stuff. Some of that new stuff is based on other things, some are original Gameloft creations.

Now, some will state their new stuff are "rip offs"...but, honestly...that's par for the course for most developers. EA, Capcom, Sega, Sony, MS and even the vaunted Nintendo do the same thing.

Point to Hero of Sparta being a "rip off" of God of War, and I'll point out how God of War is basically, when you get down to it, a "rip off" of Rygar: The Legendary Adventure.

Guitar Rock Tour a "rip off" of Guitar Hero? So what? Guitar Hero sure as hell wasn't the first rhythm action game anyway.

And, pray tell, just what the hell does Castle of Magic "rip off"? Wild West Guns? Ferrari GT? What games and IPs do those Gameloft games "rip off"?

Honestly...it's just hatin' for hatin's sake around here when it comes to Gameloft, and a lot of it is misguided hate.

Wanna hate on them? Hate on the auto screen orientation rotate (it should be an option, with the ability to lock screen orientation). Hate on them using virtual dpads, analog sticks, and buttons as a crutch rather than "think outside the box".

But to hate on them for doing the same as EVERY friggin' dev/publisher does?

That's silly, IMHO.

10. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Again, if I can chime in:

Most of his rebuttals were, in fact, relevant.

:p

11. qasim

qasim Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    USA
    Everyone, shut the **** up and stop fighting. No one here has played the game. From the video we can tell it looks incredibly amazing.

Ok, it might be a Call of Duty clone, but who gives a shit! If activision won't make COD for iPhone/Touch, then gameloft as might as well do it themselves. The game looks fine. As long as its entertaining, its all good. And fu*k originality, the game looks GOOD.

And to whoever said gameloft is NOT original at ALL, what about Castle of Magic. I'm sorry for my fu*king language, but some idiots piss me the fu*k off! The game looks GOOD. That's all that matters.

"oh gameloft isn't original, this game is a spin off, its gonna suck"

^^^ shut the frick up. there are a lot of war games ok, just because it looks like call of duty doesn't mean its gonna be a bad game. it looks amazing

Please stop the arguement, and lets praise gameloft for helping the iPod Touch/iPhone taking a big step into the "console world."

Again, please forgive my language. I was just sick of dumb assess fighting about how gameloft is not a good company and all they do (which is not true) is copy other games.

12. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Well considering this is a gameloft/ngmoco thread I decided to limit it to them. Sorry but when it comes to IP's I'm seriously jaded, with what's dumped on the app store. Your right though I should be more specific to my point. Gameloft games rip-off without adding anything remotely new or interesting to the source material. As far as Castle of magic.....I got nothing, that's a legitimate chink in my arguments armor cause for all accounts it's a great game. I just can't help but feel that games like gangstar will actually be nowhere near as good as the source material. I bet it will have text and no cutscenes, and will have very wooden dialogue, and two dimensional characters. That's the gameloft formula.

13. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Exactly. PaRappa the Rapper ftw. ^.^

Exactly. I love this game, and though I am not a huge fan of Gameloft (as I only have 3 or 4 games) this game is definitely one of their better originals. May not be the most ground breaking platformer, but it is for me as far as the iDevices go. hehehe

14. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Someone needs to change your diaper little boy. You literally contributed Zero to the argument, and yes this thread is a debate see the ****ing title tool. So if you don't like it piss off:)

15. yournothere

yournothere Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2009
    how are you people comparing this to livefire.....yeah this game looks amazing. but livefire and this are totally different. By the looks of the video the controls for this game seems to be really similiar to BIA. i also think this game will play like BIA. so i think people should think once again about livefire vs. sandstorm. compare BIA to livefire and tell me what you would get.

16. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    What does the historical occurrence of WWII have to do with crafting an original game?

What does gameloft have to do with the original oregon trail?

What Molds did they break? Anyway I'm not putting together a disertation on the subject, I spoke my mind, and if you don't feel that way, too bad, have fun with your gameloft games. I for one am looking for more out of the app store. Ala Illusion labs, h.grenade, nitako, secret exit.

17. o.o

o.o Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Hate to get involved in what is clearly a petty row, but Castle of Magic is a lot of famous platformer's ideas put together to make a (good) game.

The first thing people will notice is the game is similar to Mario. Shells = Magic Boxes? Yep.
    The diamond life system is obviously a new version of the Rings from Sonic.

However, what I thought of was Kirby. His jump and slow decent system is similar to the multijump decent system from the Kirby series, and he has different costumes, just like that little pink ball of awesome.

I did like CoM, but I didn't think that it had any good ideas of its own.

18. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Yet no pointing out ng-moco's "rip offs". Best "original" idea ng-moco came up with was the controls in Dropship (which iDracula "ripped off" sans the much better "place your thumbs onscreen anywhere to pull up the circles" method used in Dropship). But even Dropship, in and of itself, hearkens back to earlier arcade games of that same sort. Same deal with the TD games, Rolando (which Loco Roco begat, which was begotten by a vastly underrated PC game Gish), etc., etc., etc.

It applies to ALL devs/publishers.

But other than Hero of Sparta and Let's Golf...what are the "rip offs"?

That's my point. You're pointing out what represents a minority of their output as indicative of their output as a whole.

Well...isn't that often the case?

I mean...even with GTA itself.

GTA Advance, IMHO, was a very good GBA game. But it wasn't as good as the PC/console games. Chinatown Wars isn't as good as the PC/console GTAIV. And even the "Stories" games on PSP aren't as good as the PC/PS2/XBox originals.

We're not gonna get "full console" games on this platform. Not even the portable systems get "full console" style games. The portable systems get smaller games, mobile platforms like iPhone/touch even smaller. That's just the way it is. So I won't judge mobile games or even portable system games against console games because, quite frankly...it's simply not "fair".

I'd rather have no text AND no cutscenes. I'd rather no cutscenes in ANY video game, tbqh. Cutscenes = non interactive segments that are, by and far, badly written, acted, and implemented attempts (sorry ass attempts at that) of the video game industry "mimicking" the movie industry.

I'd rather QTEs than friggin' cutscenes. At least QTEs are a form of gameplay. Best "cutscene" in RE4, for instance, was the QTE knife fight with Krauser. Non interactivity takes away from the very strength of the medium itself.

I love the writing in GTA. But even Rockstar needs to get away from non-interactivity.

19. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    No one has played it so shut up. I'm sure Mr. Lucky Hodapp will get to play it soon. Then he might tell us. But until then, shut up.

20. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #40 Booch138, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    I didn't have much, but it did what was tried and true, and did it RIGHT. That's why I loved it. The iPhone hadn't really seen anything like it before (In terms of Graphics, Sounds/Music, Story Idea, etc.) It borrowed some ideas from other games, but come on man. It's nearly impossible to be full on original anymore. Everyone has done SOMETHING in some way or another.

In iPhone games I look towards how well they do the genre justice, not nessisarily what it can add to the table. Innovation is always a great thing, but it may not always be there 100%. Thats all..

Not to mention we will never be able to get full "consol quality" games on here, or even the PSP/DS for that matter. Mobile gaming is shorter, and thus the iPod is a smaller version than that nearly. I dunno...