How to tell if you're addicted to games?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by popblanks, Jul 20, 2012.

1. popblanks

popblanks Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2011
    Hi. I worry because my parents have gotten mad at me a lot lately playing games. I always say that I am not addicted, but now I worry because I have my future to think about.. I played a lot during the summer but my parents only let me play during weekends on school days. Could you guys answer the title question?

2. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    #2 Joltrabbit, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
    When I turn on my phone just to post on a forum about video games.

Oh, you mean for you! Ask yourself this question: can you go 72 hours without playing a game?

If you can't then you probably are. If it does bother you then go without the next day and see how you feel.

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I think I spend more time talking about video games nowadays than I do playing them. Not the worst addiction to have really, as long as it doesn't interfere with your regular life,(work, family, spouse, school) then I wouldn't worry about it.

Playing only on weekends during school days sounds far from being addicted, of course that's assuming it's not affecting your performance in school(like homework for instance). Playing a lot during summer seems like a common thing, though you might want to look into getting a part time job perhaps(depending on your age)? That might get your parents to see that you're not spending your entire summer just in front of the screen.

4. popblanks

Nov 2, 2011
    im 14. Im actually a good student but idk.. I'm getting into trouble a lot recently sometimes about games..

5. TSFP

TSFP Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Lol I think I'm addicted to video games

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If you're only playing during weekends I think it's pretty safe to assume you're not addicted. If you were you'd be sneaking in gaming sessions throughout the week too. Signs to watch out for include missing meals, lack of sleep, missing appointments (work, school, etc) and a noticeable drop in social activities. Playing games with friends is fine, but if you ignore them all in favor of a day of gaming, you might be approaching that thin line.

Equally as important as addiciton: don't let gaming stress you out. If you find you're constantly ragequitting or throwing controllers you might need to take up a more relaxing game or cut down on your time spent gaming.

7. dennis40

dennis40 Active Member

When I was your age I also play a lot of computer games. My parent restricted me by setting up the password for the PC but sometimes I got the password right and I played whenever I have a chance. However it is very hard to say if you are addictive to game when you are still knowing that you are playing the game :lol:. Addicts often confuse their life and their game, you are still knowing what you are doing.

8. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Hmmm... yeah, i'd agree with that. Pretty accurate description of how I was a few weeks ago while playing Diablo III.

Thankfully, the game started to suck and I have no motivation left to play longer ^____^

:p

9. popblanks

Nov 2, 2011
    hmm.. I would never ever skip a school day or an appointment. My parents would kill me. I haven't been eating much lately(i eat only lunch) but i don't think that's due to games..But my parents are asian.. so they yell at me whenever i play like 45 min..

10. sinuous

sinuous Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Lead Mobile Developer
    UK
    There are benefits to playing games but as with anything you need to balance the positives with the negatives.

I sometimes ask myself the same question, but now that I'm a developer it makes the question even harder to answer. Obviously I need to play games (research :rolleyes: ) as part of my career.

I'd say try and use your passion for games to help you in other ways. I started making games when I was about 13, and doing programming re-enforced my ability in math as it gave me a real world application and made me want to learn more to help my programming. If you're more creative you could do something as simple as creative writing (try and review the games you play). Alternatively if you're more musical then try learning game tunes on the Piano or making your own remixes. Artistic? Redraw your fav game characters and come up with some of your own.

11. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    You know you're addicted to gaming when you create a thread on a gaming forum asking whether or not you are addicted ;)

12. popblanks

Nov 2, 2011
    Yea.. I am trying to make a game with my friend right now.. Not going as well as I thought it would.. And i am a musician and am creating some music :)
    *sigh*

13. MrAlbum

MrAlbum Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2012
    Student
    Alaska
    Well, there is a phrase that I think applies here:

Be Happy.
    Be Happy.
    Be Happy.

If video games in whatever way are making your life harder to live, then do something else that you know will help you feel better. Thus, instead of agonizing over whether or not you're addicted, you are doing as much as you can to stay positive about your life, in a balanced and moderate way of course ^_^

It doesn't solve your specific problem, but it should help you feel motivated about your life instead of worrying that it's all going to slide down the garbage chute.

Hopefully that helps ^_^

Sincerely,

Mr. Album

14. sinuous

sinuous Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Lead Mobile Developer
    UK
    Cool to hear, where can I check out your music? Making games is a labour of love. If you want a tip it's to try and iterate quickly and once you're happy you've got something good then work at improving it. Don't feel afraid to scrap everything and start again. If you make quick iterations then it'll be easier to let go and move onto the next prototype if it didn't turn out how you'd hoped.

15. popblanks

Nov 2, 2011
    ummm...lol my music sucks right now.. trying to create some more.. I can't get the hand of garageband for the macbook.. My friend and I have to know the language first.. Thanks for the tips though :D

16. iOSborne

iOSborne Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2012
    college instructor
    PA
    another sign of addiction is that you are still playing while your iphone/itouch/ipad is charging... T_T

17. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    over a dozen hundred games on your gamecenter

18. sinuous

sinuous Active Member

May 8, 2012
    Lead Mobile Developer
    UK
    I've got a portable battery pack, not looking good!

19. popblanks

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I'm very easily bored.. I hate boredom so much I would rather die.. Whenever I play games I do feel happy, but when I stop I still feel fine. I do think about games from time to time though.

20. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    As long as you get good grades and do well in school, you can do whatever the hell you want with your free time with absolutely zero guilt. And unless you're one of those guys who ends up on the news for starving to death while playing WoW, then you have nothing to worry about.