iPad How to remove old versions of updated apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Oliver, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

hi :)

my Mobile Applications folder is filled with old version of updated apps, with a total of 4GB. How can I free this space? Can I safely delete older version of an app with taking the modification date as a trigger, so that I only keep the "current" version?

Bye

2. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Isn't it deleted automatically (sent to recycle bin) once you download an update? Mine work like this.

3. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
  4. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Maybe it's because Apple changed the file names in one of these hundred iTunes updates. Prior they just increased a number and now they add the real version number. Therefore I now have a mixture in this directory:

[​IMG]

5. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    That's pretty weird. I don't have such problem. I'm using Windows though.

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    windows suck

7. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    This is indeed weird - unless you have still 2.0. Since 2.1 only the latest version is kept.

If you are still on the historic version 2.0 (why?), then you could safely delete the old versions. I did this in those days and never got problems.

8. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I'm on 2.2. Look like iTunes won't remove the old stuff.

No other one with this problem? ;)

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I would write down all the apps that you have and delete the folder. Redownload for free.

10. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hmm. I don't have that problem either. Anytime an update occurs, the older version automatically gets sent to the recycle bin.

11. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Yeah, usually when I update an app, the old version gets sent to the trash and I empty it. The latest version stays though, so I don't know what could've caused that.

12. brewstermax

This is odd, I usually have to fetch an older version out of the Trash if I need an old one. Except for Air Sharing (which just adds a different copy everytime) everything updates and overwrites/trashes the old copy fine.

13. iGewappnet

iGewappnet Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Mainz, Germany
    And you have the latest iTunes (8.0.2)? Then delete the old app versions and maybe the normal behavior will be restored.

14. brewstermax

Some apps do rename the file everytime, so that could be part of the issue.

15. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    iTunes used to archive old versions for me, but these days I find they are trashed after an update. I kind of liked saving previous versions in case, say, Lightsaber one day changes into a stupid ad campaign. I made sure to archive an older version of Shazaam recently when I noticed the intention to introduce ads with an update.

Anyhoo, I am getting off the topic...

16. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    I think it has more to do with a newer iTunes rather than a newer OS for iPhone. Keep in mind that these normally come together. Prior to around 2.1, iTunes would keep every single version, simply adding a number onto the file. Now, it records the version number, and dumps the prior older one. Any you downloaded before it used this system would still be there. I think it is safe to delete older versions - just 'get info' on the apps in iTunes, find out which version is the current one, and dump all the others.

17. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Did a small test with Cube Runner, which I don't have on my iPhone, but in iTunes.

I deleted nothing, but just redownloaded it with iTunes and then clicked on "Show in Finder". It jumps to the new file, with is named "Cube Runner 1.2". I then synced my iPhone, to see whether iTunes recognizes this as "new" and wants to put it on my iPhone, but it behaved correctly, i.e. it did not put Cube Runner on my iPhone.

As a next step I removed the old files and restarted iTunes and resynct the iPhone again.

Worked perfectly.

So it's really just this:

1. Redownload, so that you get a file with a filename using the new name scheme.
    2. Delete all old files.

So far, it's a bummer that Apple "forgot" that and I have to do it manually, but I will go through all apps which I have not on my iPhone during the next days and remove the old versions off the file system.

Current size of the Mobile Applications folder: 4,26GB, 579 files.

18. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Finally done. Now: 223 files, 2,15 GB.