iPad How to post Screenshots - noob guide

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ph4ntom4, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ph4ntom4

Ph4ntom4 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    #1 Ph4ntom4, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    It has come to my attention that on many threads (such as high score threads and the like), there are many people who don't know how to post their own screenshots taken using an iPod Touch or iPhone. It is really very simple, and i will list the steps here. Maybe this could be a sticky so it is easy for people to find and we don't get needless posts asking how to post screenshots in every thread.

-----------
    THE STEPS
    -----------

1. Take the screenshot on your iPod Touch or iPhone. To do this hold down the top button (sleep) and then quickly press the home button. You should see the screen flash white and a camera sound should play.

2. When you are happy with your screenshot (you can view it in Photos>Saved Photos), connect your iPod up to any computer with iTunes installed (so it recognises the iPod, it doesn't have to be the computer with your media library).

3. Open My Computer, double click on 'Apple iPod' > 'Internal Storage' > 'DCIM' > '999APPLE', and you will see all your captured photos.

4. Drag the image you want to your desktop.

5. Open up your internet browser and go to http://imageshack.us/.

6. Upload the image from your desktop, after it has uploaded scroll right to the bottom and click on the + button. Copy the URL in there.

7. Make a new post on TouchArcade, and put the url inside the image tags.

-----------

That's all there is to it! This was done according to a 2nd generation iPod Touch, the folder names may be different on different versions of iPod but you should be able to find the photos without much problem.

Hope this helps!

2. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    On the mac they may not show in iTunes.

Go to Applications and launch Image Capture. You can download the images using that.

3. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    Cool, I never knew how to do this. Thanks!

[​IMG]

4. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Or, after the picture is in your computer, just use the little paper clip icon (attachment) and upload it here :)

5. Selina

Selina Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Kent, England
    Excellent! I have always wondered how to do this, but never liked to ask!!!

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
  7. Ph4ntom4

Jan 10, 2009
    Photobucket requires membership. Also, I think it would serve a much better purpose here than in the lounge, because most posts asking how to do this are in this forum.

8. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Well, I choose different ways :)

1. Create the image
    2. Open the image on the iPhone
    3. Send it to my private mail address or the twitpic address.
    4. Open the mail on the Mac or the twitpic-page and drag the image to the Desktop.
    5. Upload it using the toucharcade.com forum

This is faster then start the sync, open iPhoto etc.

9. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    the far preferred method is to directly attach them to the post using the "manage attachment" button when posting from a Mac or PC.

This way, the images will never get pulled down or removed.

arn

10. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    I agree with your reasoning for doing that way (so that the images don't get removed from the hosts), but I'm not a great fan of the results you get doing it this way... You end up with a smaller, not-full-size version of the image in the post, and you have to click on it to see it at the correct size, so you don't get to see the image as intended in the "flow" of the conversation, as it were.

11. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    well, we can fix that. losing images from a thread is a pretty common issue over time.

arn

12. Ph4ntom4

Jan 10, 2009
    AFAIK ImageShack doesn't delete any images for a very long time. I could change the guide though if you want to. It would be very helpful as a sticky :).

13. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Arn, if you can fix the images being downscaled to a thumbnail, that would be great. For the last two screenshots I uploaded, I posted them in my Album first (http://forums.toucharcade.com/album.php?albumid=48) and then posted the BB code in my post. This was a workaround to get the images in full size.

It would be great if the attachments would be displayed in full size. Or, if you have control over that, change the size of the thumbnail to the size of an iPhone screen. This way, if an image is a screenshot, it's displayed at full size. But larger images will still be downsized (to prevent really large images from stretching a page).

14. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA

Yes, and to deal with the issue of the image being smaller you can do the following:

1. double click on the attached file so that it opens in a new web window.

2. copy the resulting URL and embed it with the "envelope icon"

This will result in the image being displayed as the small attachment and full sized doc.

See below:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Aaah, interesting... I didn't know about this workaround...

16. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    You can also do what I do, use the photo albums TA offers every user on their profile / UserCP.

You can add albums and upload images and just link from there.