How to play pool in Midnight Pool

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by D.Sync, Dec 27, 2008.

1. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    I thought we just need to shoot the ball to the hole, that's it. Apparently there are some sort of rule. In some cases even though I managed to shoot the ball to the hole, it says I had committed a foul play.

Anyone care to explain? I'm playing 8-Ball rules.

2. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    #2 nickels, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
    You have to hit your ball first. If you are low balls (solids) then you have to make contact with another low ball first. If you hit the opponents ball first you committed a foul. If you don't pocket a ball, the cue ball or the object ball must hit a rail after the shot or it is a foul as well.

http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_8bl.shtml

3. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    #3 D.Sync, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
    Thanks for answering but I still don't understand it quite well. Perhaps you can give me some example? How to know the opponent ball? How to know which group am I on? Can I pocket different color of balls each time it is my turn?

From what I've understand, there are 2 groups of balls which the players must hit. The number of balls that are hit afterward is depending on what group of ball which the player hit first.

//Let's say I pocket number 1, then for the following ball I must pocket balls numbered 2-7, then finally 8.

//So here comes my question. What if I succesfully pocket number 1 ball, then miss it. Second player pocket //his/her ball until he/she miss. Then here comes my turn. So can I pocket another group of ball, say ball //numbered 9-15 instead of following the previous group?

I see, so the group we choose is depending on the first ball we hit. If we hit any ball numbered 1-7, the next ball we pocket must also be within such range and vice versa. If we successfully pocket the group of ball, we must pocket the number 9 black ball to win the game.

What is a break exactly?

I hope my question doesn't sounds confusing. :eek:

4. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Male
    Product Designer/Mobile Game Developer
    PA, USA
    Here are the rules of 8 ball simplified:
    http://billiards.about.com/od/gamerulesstrategy/ss/02_04eight.htm

You break to start the game, nailing the first shot into that group of racked balls. If nothing goes in then it is your opponents turn. The first person to sink a ball is that group: solids 1-7 or stripes 9-15. You have to sink all your balls then the black 8-ball to win. To make a legal shot you have to hit the cue ball into one of your balls first, if you hit the opponents ball first it is a foul. If you hit the 8 ball in by accident early or if you put it into the wrong pocket you lose. I am not sure if you have to call the pocket in midnight pool, but in real pool you have to pick where you are sinking the 8-ball before you shoot it in.