How to get Reviewed by Big Website

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Jadchar, Sep 6, 2010.

1. I definitely agree with this. The first video we did was really quite boring and lackluster and nobody took interest in it. The second one, with just a bit of fun and crazy antics seemed to resonate more strongly with people.

2. pocketzebra

pocketzebra Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Co-Founder
    Useful - Free Traffic Exchange

We've tried a bunch to get our apps reviewed - haven't had much luck. We did come across a pretty much unknown free service called Appzing. It works like the old banner exchanges but is dedicated to apps.

You use their code to show pop-ups in your apps and build up credits - you get 4 credits for every 5 pop-ups you show. Then your credits are used promoting your own apps in the network.

We've used it in all our free apps and have seen millions of free impressions. Our Find the Differences app got to #1 free on App Store for 2 weeks mostly because of the service.

FYI - the site is pretty ugly - but the service works really well.

3. Glass Joe

Glass Joe Member

Oct 9, 2010
    I have a personal blog that I just started up that focuses on game reviews. For now it doesn't get much traffic, but it's only a couple weeks old. With a little luck and hard work, I might find some viewers. For now I'm just reviewing the games that I've bought for fun, but if any developers want to get their game reviewed there, I'm looking to form relationships. The site is in the signature. (My site is not intended to be a news site like toucharcade, they are brilliant at what they do. My page is purely a personal review/opinion blog).

4. Glass Joe

Glass Joe Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Just as an update to any interested developers, my site is currently 30+ reviews strong now. I've written up many of the games I'd bought before I started it up, so I'm actively looking for cool new games. I review very critically but also fairly, and my minor traffic is growing each day. Feel free to PM or email me a promo code if you feel that you honestly have a decent game. If I use a code and don't like the game, don't worry... I give the option to not review it at all, instead of bashing the game to bits. I'm looking for decent games that have been unjustly ignored, so keep in mind that if your game is crap, I'm not going to promote it. I'm a gamer and my site is for gamers, and I take fun way too seriously :) Info is in the sig.

5. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    nice site app-critic the little number above the "share" button would be helpful if that were the review score.

6. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
  7. Krehol Games

Krehol Games Well-Known Member

luck

To be honest there is no fool proof way to market your game or app . Just do your best with presenting apps to people and hope it takes off . There is no secret way or method.
    They only other way is if you already have money , then you can buy ADs ,reviews, and whatever else you need to have visibility. While I am a positive person , I am not blind either . Publishers and big companies have gotten a foothole in the marketplace now . While there is still hope for us ,just remember who your competion is.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Your competition is people who make good games. When it comes to our review selection, I don't care if a game is made by Bob's Basement Games or published by EA. Any review site worth reading also works similarly.

9. Krehol Games

competition

You do cover alot of indies as well , I give you mega props for that . But every single day my game doesnt get reviewed , I get worried . Not because I feel my games is great or any greedy reason like that .I am worried a bigger company might buy my game and make thier own version because the game and charactors are original . My game is aimed at casual gamers like canabalt or doodle jump type players. The only reason I badly need a review is if they do copy , at least I can be known as the starter of this new genre . I really need your help Hoapp .

10. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    Krehol, I wouldn't worry about that too much. You have evidence of prior art. Even if your work isn't trademarked, the fact that you have proof of the date your app went live should keep your protected if you ever (hopefully never) wind up in court.

As for taking the core concept and running with it in a new way, I can totally relate. I've had it happen to a couple of my (non-gaming) apps in the past. The downside is it's a crummy feeling, but it drives innovation.

Ideas are worthless without execution, and usually the guy who executes best comes out on top. Keep polishing your game so that nobody can out-hustle you!

11. Krehol Games

will try

I read alot of stuff saying oh if your game is good it will do good on its own or it will get reviews if Its solid . Well we made our game as addictive as it could get , but if nobody reviews or takes a chance , then games will be buried . I am starting to sense alot of BS going on . I dont mind things not being fair , but telling me to my face that it is fair when its not is insulting . Iam alot smarter than that.

12. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Whining and begging for reviews aren't going to get you very far, honestly that starts to push things in the opposite direction. You can never count on anyone to go out of their way to throw you a bone, particularly in a case like this (I am sure touchArcade editors get so many review requests per day that their email inboxes are constantly crashing...)

There really is just such an oversaturation of content on the app store right now and it's not going to lighten up any time soon (and what with the holidays fast approaching, it's about to be even more ridiculous).

Take matters into your own hands. At this point you have to concentrate on marketing and promotion more than "just making a cool game." Yeah your game MUST look cool and be fun to play, but at this point that alone is not going to get any notice unless you are lucky (of course, if your game has some series production values that will help!)

If you don't know a thing about marketing, now's a good time to start playing catch-up. Make notes of what everyone else is doing. Get your social networking moving. Build up a community and find ways to get people talking about your app. "A crowd draws a crowd."

Good luck :)

13. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Just wanted to mention that "Glass Joe" just reviewed one of my games and did a really nice job. He actually played through the entire game and had excellent feeback. Here's a link to the review:

Super Juicy Review

Krehol, there are lots of us who have not been featured on TA (yet!). Just work on your games and make them available to reviewers, there are so many awesome games on iOS that its not surprising when you get passed over!

14. Glass Joe

Glass Joe Member

Oct 9, 2010
    @ 99c Gamer: Thanks for the input, putting the final review score where you mentioned is worth thinking about.

@ GregH & @suksmo: Thanks for the kind words.

As someone hinted at, if I'm PM'ed a code and don't like the game, I don't consider it fair to simply destroy it on my site. I'll give a general outline of the good and bad points in private, let them decide if they want a feature or not. I still do have negative reviews on my page, but those are ones I came across on my own :)

15. suksmo

suksmo Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Worked out a way to get reviewed in a big website!

I applied for a slot on http://appventcalendar.com/ - todays my slot. My slot is today (its the app slot not the games slot). I'd contacted a couple of websites about featuring Scrambleface - but not TUAW.

TUAW has picked up on the fact its free today and made Scrambleface their daily app! A nice quick review of the app - Twitter has went mad!

I'll let everyone know how I get on!

p.s. grab a copy for free today http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scrambleface-live-action-video/id394830799?mt=8&uo=4&partnerId=30&partnerId=30&siteID=32QzxM6qook-nm_at9O9jWUrGhQEB6mq_g

16. Well, you might start by correctly spelling the name of the person whose help you are asking for. Just sayin.

Anyway, Eli has responded to many other developers in the past who can't understand why their app didn't get reviewed. The answer is almost always that he has seen their app, but he didn't consider it worthwhile to review.

That doesn't mean you can't be persistent. You could resubmit to TA after each major update for example, but don't be a pest about it.

There are real people on the other end of these review site email addresses. If you email them too frequently you'll certainly make an impression, but not likely the one you were hoping for.