How to get on "New and Noteworthy" - experiences shared

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by M of IMAK, May 27, 2009.

1. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Just feature that game on TTWP. Some of those volks must like thinking. Good luck to you!

2. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer

Hmm.. thanks for your explanation. Hope Apple staffs are reading this... bcos if it does not bring sales much, then there is no point to have New&Noteworthy for each category.

Just thought of something: Or is it possible that USERS are not aware of the New & Noteworthy section in subcategory?? It is rather new.. Not sure. Speculating here..

3. AssyriaGameStudio

AssyriaGameStudio Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    I estimate that around 80% of our sales are directly from the device (Not iTunes)... So I doubt the new "New and Noteworthy" feature slots in the sub-catagories generate any substantial revenue to be honest. The only slots that are shown on the actual device are New and Noteworthy, and the "main store" "Whats Hot" listings, the other slots under the games section are not and the revenue generated from the feature slots other than new and noteworthy have reflected this (for us at least) :).

4. XyrisKenn

XyrisKenn Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    Developer
    Czech Republic
    SteamPunk Hockey was featured in 'New and Noteworthy' - Games section. Sales jumped for a few days. But unlike the main front page, a person needs to navigate to it specifically and perhaps that's why the effect isn't as pronounced. Sales also jumped when the app website traffic spikes.

I'd previously sent an email to Apple reviewers mentioning the total 02/2010 downloads and number of leaderboard players, which may or may not have influenced their choice to feature SPH.

But partway through that run, someone at Apple then chose to also feature a competing (but much, much more established) Air Hockey game in 'What We Are Playing.' I think that was also in the Games section.

Nonetheless for me it was great that Apple elected to feature SteamPunk Hockey; I'm glad they gave a bit of their very restricted promo space to this little game. I think they deal with *a lot* of apps and have quite a bit to choose from for promotion.

5. Hot New Games vs Whats Hot

Our game, Blood & Honor, was featured within Hot New Games as New and Noteworthy, and got a nice boost, though nothing earth shattering. When we were moved to What's hot also inside Games, our sales went down to regular numbers. It was a fun ride while it lasted though.

6. on TTWP - you mean ttwp.org? LOL. yes i actually gave out promo codes to ttwp members - some of the top10 players in that game are ttr pros. yes, they like thinking... but ttwp at the moment is not for real advertising. maybe later, when we cross 300 users or get server issues with the forum...

7. yet it's a new thing. maybe you're right and people are not aware of it yet... not sure.

8. Toco Games

Toco Games Well-Known Member

Will it be a advantage to implement the new iAds into your game to get featured? I know apple will make lots of money with it. I dont like to put it in our games but if apple just trys to maximize its money it could be that they really select the games that have it implemented.

9. jtbowden

jtbowden Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Indie Game Development (and engineer by day)
    Our game, Warehouse51, just got featured in "New and Noteworthy" for puzzle games and for strategy games. It is also in "What's Hot" for puzzle games.

I came here trying to figure out if that was good luck, or if everyone ends up there at some point. Are we destined to disappear from those lists in 24 hours?

And who/what determines "What's Hot"?

10. Gguo

Gguo Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2010
    CEO,Programmer,Uh.. All Thing [ one-man Company :)
    Featured on New and Noteworthy but listed over 40.

Hi.

This is my first post to TA. :)

Recently me and my partner's game is featured on New and Noteworthy(Hot New Games)

But it is ranked over 40 so it has no device exposure.
    it can be only shown at PC/MAC iTunes.
    so it doesn't helps sales much.

anyone know New and Noteworthy list cycles or not?

any help will be appreciated.

11. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Providence!

12. Narf

Narf Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Developer, Student
    Netherlands
    #72 Narf, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    True this.

Critical Wave also got featured in both categories right after launch. To this day we have no clue why, though we are very glad it happened. It was our one lucky break since sales before and after haven't been too great :p

13. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Our new game Trash of the World, got on the New and Noteworthy for both the categories listed in. Eventually it got on New and Noteworthy for games but all these only showed up in iTunes. We never got on the Appstore listing.

It was puzzling to us since other applications on the list were on the Appstore. After analyzing, I believe the reason why we were not on the Appstore list has a ranking and downloads factored in. The Appstore list has only 32 spots, the iTunes list has 40 spots. To get on the Appstore list, you need to have better download numbers.

That was last week. This week , ToTW got listed again under What's hot for Games. It appears this list has no Appstore equivalent. So it was a happy and disappointing at the same time since only getting onto the Appstore lists really matters.

14. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Argh! that must be very frustrating khangtoh. Still, it's awesome to get a listing that high, even if just edged out from the next threshold. At least it means they are looking at your game and enjoying it enough to give it some promotion. It might not be the "big break" yet but it's getting there, and they have their eyes on you :)

15. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    #75 MrBlue, Jul 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

This is encouraging. My new game Meekoo landed in N&N in 4 game sub-cats (iPhone Puzzle and Family, iPad Puzzle and Family). I think there's very little traffic to these sub pages, but it's something. Figured that was my only shot, but looks like there's still a chance of being on the games front page.

Thanks for sharing.

16. gerball

gerball Member

Mar 2, 2010
    My game gerball appeared on the device New and Noteworthy section in the US and UK this week.

The featured spot helped sales a lot - went from 35-50 a day before to 200-300 a day currently.

The game appears to be doing better in the UK than the US (it's in the kids games top 10 chart in the UK), and I wonder if that's because the in the 'Featured' sub-category for New and Noteworthy (the default one to be displayed), we were higher up in the UK - 24th out of 34, as opposed to 31st out of 31 in the US.

Not sure how that Featured ranking is determined, but it might be from early sales. In the Popularity section we're higher up, 13th out of 24 in the UK, and a bit further down in the US.

We didn't do anything special to get featured, didn't email any Apple people, or didn't even get mentioned on a website anywhere. Just luckily they noticed it :)

17. DavidHolliss

DavidHolliss Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    London, UK
  18. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I think that the "nothing to do with racing" mechanic is actually very unique. I've never seen that in a racing game before. This radical innovation is definitely...

Wait, no, sorry. I can't do this with a straight face.

19. fanstudiouk

fanstudiouk Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jan 21, 2011
    Male
    Game Development Company
    London
    Do you have ay idea how long after the launch Apple is picking the game as N&N?

We have just released our game and the sales are far from what we expected.

Sweet Froggy - a new challenging puzzle game for iPhone http://goo.gl/Fu9Ue.

If you like Cat Physics or Angry Birds you will love this one too! Promo codes here http://goo.gl/Aigw2

Thank you.

20. dug

dug Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I was quite surprised to see my (free) app Neutron Capture appear in the New & Noteworthy section for Strategy Games and Board Games in a few countries.

I'm at the stage where I am sticking to very tight dev time budgets while learning the ropes, so NC is a pretty stripped-down experience. The only possible reasons for the feature I can see are that the (fun and cool IMO) board game I implemented has not been done before on the App Store and that I am using iAd exclusively.

It didn't really do anything to change my download figures but it did quite a bit for morale. :)