How To Exit Apps In iPhone 3GS Os 4 ?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Joelliane, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Joelliane

Joelliane New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    How Can Fully Exit Apps In The New Os 4 Update ?
    Because When I Click Home The App Will Work In The BackGround , Is There Any Way That I Can Fully Shut Down The App Without Double Clicking Home And Entering The Task List ?

2. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I don't think so :/

3. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    No. It sucks.

4. gen1521

gen1521 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    internet stalking
    Tokyo, Japan
    You mean, shutting it down permanently:confused:? um, I think just enable the Task list and tap and hold the app that you want to shut down (just like in wigglemode).

5. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    It's a pain but we'll all have iPhone 4's tomorrow anyway and they'll be able to handle multi tasking much better - so it's only a problem for another 24 hours, give or take ;-)

6. 

Jun 22, 2010
    What are you talking about? They'll work the same.

The issue is killing processes.

The only TWO ways to kill a process app is by jiggling & tapping the minus or Force Quitting by holding down the sleep/wake button until the slide to turn off screen shows over the app only instead of sliding you hold the home button for 5-7seconds

My issue is that, if I use my calculator once it'll be there till I do one of the above...that's really stupid.

Why would I want every app I open to stay "open" or even in the dock.

I would rather be able to kill at will & somehow in settings customize what apps I want to stay in the quick-switch dock upon exit. That way I do have to kill by jiggle mode when I want.

Now it just seems like I'm always cleaning out that dock

7. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#7 sticktron, Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
    According to Steve Jobs you don't need to worry about "closing" apps.
    Let the OS handle it.

Also this isn't traditional multitasking.
    If the app isn't built specifically to DO something in the background, then it's just suspended as usual.
    The links in the multitask bar will act as icons to relaunch it with whatever save-state like OS3.

8. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    The apps open in the multi-tasking bar are using up memory on the 3Gs with iOS 4. When I closed the 6 open apps, my free memory went from .65Mb to 1.14Mb.

I agree, and would like to have the option for an app to close as before.

9. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Yeah you double click home. Then press and hold like you will delete it an click the red dot.

10. 

Jun 22, 2010
    See that blows because I'm probably gonna close everything in the quick switch dock before launching games just to insure optimal performance....

I think the 3G S can handle a few processes at one time however I think the OS will automatically kill of the last processes that is using the memory where you need it elsewhere (like if your game pushes too much ram, your mail if opened let's say, will be pushed out of the dock)

11. reticulum12

reticulum12 New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    York, PA
    close app

in ITouch 4G. To “close” an app. I press the home button twice. The screen shows a row of icons at the bottom of the screen. I find the icon for the app I want to close, and press the icon for a full second. The icon (and all the others) change to an icon with a red minus sign, and all of the icons start to wiggle. I press the minus sign, on the icon of the app I want to close. The icon disappears. The app is no longer running. :)