How much are you willing to pay for Aralon?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Barbosa, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Yeah, same here. I was lucky enough to beta this one, and what I played of it was excellent. I loved the combat system, and from people who could actually make progress (it lagged BADLY on my iPod and I couldn't go anywhere without problems), there's a ton of stuff to do in game. It'll last you much, much longer than Ravensword did, trust me.

2. Barbosa

Barbosa Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    N.Y., USA
    JoshCM voted for $9.99, does that mean that would be the actual price?

3. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
  4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    In Zimbabwean Dollars ;)

5. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Am I the only one who thinks this game is overhyped? So far I haven't been interested at all in this game, despite being a big rpg fan. It's weird really.

6. Jainc78

Jainc78 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Network Technician
    Fresno, Ca
    I think personally it deserves 12+ but I'm sure they won't do more than 9.99 just for the fact that the expense barrier for high end iPhone games is 9.99.

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I'll pay whatever the Devs decide to post it at. I'm sure it will be far worth the price when its available.

8. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    If it's more than 99 cents i'm sure the crybabies and price whiners will be out in full force...
    :rolleyes:

9. czarro77

czarro77 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mental Health
    Houston, Tx
    I'll pay top dollar for this game if it's compatible with my iPhone 3G. Does anyone know if it will be?

10. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I bet the Dev's are loving this auction: though they should perhaps be wary as everyone on this forum has more than a passing interest. My assessment would be $5.99 or less for the following reasons...
    1. Not a dealbreaker for me but the game has reportedly not been running amazingly well on older devices, so it is going to be primarily a game for newer devices BUT there is no retina support. This could turn off a lot of people.
    2. It's 30 hours long. This device is great for games (I have amassed a huge collection myself) but I am aware enough of buying pricey games on day one that I don't get around to finishing (If I even do finish) long after the price drops to well below that I paid.
    3. With the greatest possible respect to Crescent Moon...but they are not to be confused with Square Enix. A harsh truth.
    Ideally the price would be set at $2.99 for early adopters. We'll have to see.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Um, back when they weren't even known, they kept ravensword in the number 1 rpg spot for over a month at 6.99..not sure what you're talking about or how much you know about the appstore/rpg fan base.

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Precisely. Presumably then, having gone through the Ravensword experience, people are going to be a little more cautious about parting with their hard-earned this time.

13. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    But the thing is, back then Ravensword had no hype in comparison to what Aralon does. The fan base is already mobilized and ready to hit the buy button notwithstanding the price if $9.99 or below as soon as they see the game. Everyone knows what's coming this time, and they want it. It just comes down to seeing how the game lives up. I'm optimistic and have faith in these guys.

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    That's exactly what Galaxy on Fire 2 (best game ever) did.

Lmao

http://appshopper.com/games/chaos-rings-for-ipad

15. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Well, $1.99 is pretty much my impulse buy limit. Otherwise, I put it on the wishlist, and wait for sales. On occasion, I might go up as high as $3.99 or $4.99 if it's gotten rave reviews from people I trust, but I have to imagine that for the most part, devs make way more in volume if they keep the prices low.

Anything at $9.99 or above for me, I pretty much avoid on principle - there's just too much stuff out there for less that is just as entertaining.

16. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    The gameplay video looks great, but there's no way to tell just by the short demo and bulletpoints what the game will be worth. I wouldn't wipe my ass with Ravensword, though I know it was kind of revolutionary at the time. My gut tells me Aralon will be worthy though, and if it is what it claims to be - a long, deep and engaging quest with a semi-modern gfx engine and a half-decent narrative - I might pay 10 bucks for it. There's nothing like that in the app store right now IMO. That's why I payed $13 for Chaos Rings, and I don't think you have to be a publishing juggernaut like SE to make a decent modern game for the iPhone - just look at Fishlabs.

On the other hand, Aralon might turn out to be a bug-ridden mess full of uninspired fetch quests. In which case I won't pay a buck for it.

I'm pulling for this game to be good though. I'm really enthused at the prospect of playing a sweet, modern western RPG on my device.

17. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    #37 Bad Hanson, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
    I seem to recall that Ravensword released at $2.99 I bought it right off the bat. I don't think your comment about my supposed lacking app store experience holds too much water. I might not have a million posts to my name but that is because I spend more time 'reading' than nececesarily putting an opinion on any given subject. So, to elucidate on my previous post. Context. Back to this, when Ravensword was released it was in a vacuum, there were no other 3d action RPG's on the app store worth mentioning which meant the novelty of having a game in the same ilk as Oblivion was enough to maintain healthy sales for a time despite its being clunky, sparse of content and generally a bit of a letdown. Now Aralon is not going to be able to enjoy the luxury of being the only girl in the bar this time around, and whilst I grant that she is quite an attractive filly, she will not be to everyone's liking. This is why price is important as whilst 'you' may think this is the best thing ever, your average Joe is fickle, he or she might buy it they might not. Unless this game is getting significant (and enduring) 4 and into 5 star reviews it will not be likely to overrun the app store. Besides iOS RPG fans are expecting Final Fantasy Tactics, Secret of Mana and Puzzle Quest 2 et al to drop at any time. That said Aralon does look quite good, but if it was your game would you really want to price high when you are going up against those notable others.

18. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    No, I'm pretty sure it released at 6.99 so you must have grabbed it much, much later, as in freaking months later after debut since that's how long it took go on sale. Actually there is nothing like Aralon on the AppStore. This isn't just another reskin of ravensword, and crusade of destiny..LOL. This is where it begins for a full 3D, open world rpg on the AppStore, a feat that big name companies like square Enix and gameloft have not made, bur will undoubtly follow. Yes, those games will be great, and I'm also waiting for them, but the wait for Aralon is greater than each of the others combined. 9.99 is nothing. This will hit the top 10, and I'm sure both divisions of the developers are expecting this without much doubt. This is another milestone to 'modernizing' the AppStore.

19. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
  20. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Thanks for confirming. One should remember where the AppStore travels in six months.