iPad How many of you guys convert the lite version game into the full version?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bluemoit, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bluemoit

bluemoit Member

Dec 17, 2008
    What makes you convert to the full version one?

2. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    purely depends how much addicted i get to the game. i think i've upgraded twice so far. the only lite game i currently have is pac man, which, being as i rarely use it, will probably stay on lite.

3. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Unfortunately every lite app i bought has failed to persuade me into buying the full version (except powerboat challenge).

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    #4 spmwinkel, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
    Obviously the degree to which I like the game, and the amount of extra features that the full game offers.

For example with Toy Bot Diaries, I found that the free version was fun to play, but that the paid version appeared to be relatively short based on customer comments. So I didn't go for the full version.

However, the few puzzles in Subway Shuffle interested me, and made me want more of them. So I liked the gameplay, wanted more of it, and got the full version.
    For Galcon, I wanted the other game modes and online multiplayer.

But then again, these was the only situations where a Lite version made me get the full version. Most of my purchases were 0,99-4,99 games that I liked based on reviews and comments on this forum. I got Super Monkey Ball because it's a platform classic, and Rolando because of the hype, because I liked the videos and because I wanted to join in the discussion of the game on TouchArcade.

5. menom

menom Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    photography
    London, UK.
    yeah - as sjleworthy says - it's down to how addictive the lite version is.

I got WordsWorth Lite when it was recommended here - and only played the lite version a couple of times before I got the full version as I was instantly hooked (wasn't tough call as only 59p - so that might also be a factor in how long it takes to jump to full version)

only ever had one other lite game and I binned it in a recent clean-out - game was okayish - just wasn't hooked on it so no point upgrading

6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    it's a shame most games dont come out as lite. i mean, i'd love to sample Rolando or Ferrari GT or Hero of Sparta for example, but i dont wont to pay full whack for something that might not turn me on. so i dont buy, and never will until it price drops.
    But a freebee sampler might encourage me to spend several bucks that i previously wouldn't have.
    perhaps it's worth putting an email into the developers.

7. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    By the way, I also don't like Lite versions that cost $0,99. If I want to try a game and then convert to the full game, I paid extra for trying it first. If a developer doesn't want to give too much away, then make the Lite version more limited. But don't charge for it, I won't spend the dollar on the lite version of a game, I'd rather not get that game alltogether and spend the dollar on a "one dollar gem".

8. JamesC

JamesC Active Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Only powerboat challenge, Tanzen, untangle/puzzle maniak so far. Most of the games that I've really loved have been puzzlers that I've picked up on sale or free, usually as a result of posts made here - games like tiki towers, loopy lab, mouse house, pakoon3, trace and strategery.

Lite versions aren't really that useful for me most of the time. I tend to enjoy the games that you pick up and play for a few minutes at a time (in theory at least) rather than a full game (I've got a games console for that). Since these puzzlers tend to be priced fairly low, there's not really a need for a lite version most of the time. The games that I would really like lite versions are gameloft titles like real soccer 09, BIA and hero of sparta. I'm not going to to spend that on a game I might not like, and I suspect that in many cases a lite version would only confirm that I dont really want the game. Instead, it's that I just wanted to see what the iPhone could do, so from gameloft's point of view it makes a lot of sense not to offer them, since some people might be in my position but with more spare cash to make impulse purchases.

9. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I convert a couple of lite version into full version sometime after trying the game out for a few mins. But, it depends on the game. Sometime, I've already got my eye on the apps so when they gave the lite version out, and I have the money, I quickly bought it. But, nowadays, most of the lite version I tried aren't that good anyway. Who pays $0.99 to get a lite version anyway? :D

10. DukeofAnkh

DukeofAnkh Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Melbourne
    Games I bought the full of after playing lite:

Toy Bot Diaries
    The Plateau
    TanZen
    Fuzzle

I'll probably get Bob's Dream and Penguin eventually, I just have some other games to play through first.

Of course, there are a bunch of games that I didn't buy after playing the lite version. Mostly this is because I just didn't enjoy the lite version or because I didn't enjoy it enough. For example, I liked Subway Shuffle Lite, but not quite enough to buy the full. Maybe when I grow bored with the puzzle games I have now I'll upgrade. Similarly with Galcon, I've found the lite version challenging enough. I haven't quite beaten it on the hardest setting yet, so I don't see any reason to upgrade.

I like Lite versions because I don't really have spare money to throw at games I might not like; I'd rather buy games I know I'll like (for example based on reviews here on having played the lite version).

11. juicy

juicy Active Member

Dec 29, 2008
    I bought full versions of the following after completing the Lite versions:

1. Dizzy Bee
    2. Subway Shuffle
    3. Blue Skies
    4. Christmas Shine
    5. The Plateau
    6. Word Pops
    7. Gaia
    8. Samurai Puzzle Battles
    9. Choc Shop Frenzy
    10. Critter Crunch
    11. TanZen

Lite versions are a very easy way to convince me shell out for the full game (if the game is any good at all, of course)... all developers should release Lite versions of their games (for free, not 0.99 dollars)

In lieu of Lite version, I have to rely on gameplay videos on TA and YouTube and also recommendations from trusted websites/forums for my App Store purchases.

12. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I ended up buying the full version of Samurai Puzzle Battle because despite the Lite version (as explained on the home page of this site) being almost a full fledged version of the game, you can't save in campaign mode.

I also got the $.99 Aurora Feint II, which you could loosely say that AF and AFII are a Lite and Paid version of the game.

Crystal Defenders was the first TD game that didn't bore me to tears or make me go "Why am I playing this?", but I've held off on the full version because:

a)It's $8
    b)While I'm not bothered by the screen as much as some people, the knowledge that the game could be fixed and updated to full screen (or a sequel produced) has made me hold off. Because it really would be pretty cool full screen.

Sometimes, though, Lite versions are just right, Moonlight Mahjong Lite was one of the first apps I got after getting my Touch, and I don't see any reason to pay for a version with more layouts. Same goes for Labyrinth Lite.

So yeah, depending on the game, I sometimes upgrade from the lite version.

13. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Mostly I've not waited for lite versions, have bought the full one first. EG ToyBot1, I'd finished that ages before the lite appeared.

But Galcon Lite, I bought the full one (didn't need to have though)
    Dizzy Bee Lite, purchased the full one and haven't played it once yet. Yes I know it's good, but I've been playing other things :)
    Lux Touch made me buy Lux Dlx, even with Dlx's shortcomings and a few negative reviews in the AppStore. For me, this was well worth it, althogh I did hold off a day or two.

I feel best about the Lux Dlx purchase, I think this is a good example of a lite version that makes people upgrade:

Lite has no save, you get a call, you start over
    Lite version is one level
    Lite version has no control over AI, difficulty, teams, settings, etc.

In other words, this made me buy the full because I'd put lots of time into the lite one and good see it's weaknesses.

In contrast, Pacman lite is a bad idea, as most people only remember the first level and that's all they care to play, so I'd never get the full one.

To be honest, as far as I'm concerned, lite versions hurt sales for devs. This isn't always the case, as in a lite being the only one for awhile, free, then a paid version comes later with more in it for the dedicated (as has occured? Well, the lite version will help me save my money of course.

I guess my point is... it's the game itself that matters... I think a good youtube video or two, and some half crazed forum nuts waxing lyrical about the latest game is enough to empty my bank into the iTunes void without even blinking.

14. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    I have to completely agree with you. If you (the developer) are asking me to pay for a trial, you're barking up the wrong tree and I basically won't even bother with your app. Total turn off. If you're proud of your work, don't try to "scam" me by paying $.99 to check your app out. Puhleaze.

Tanzen for me was my upgrade. I wasn't too sure I'd enjoy that style of game but after playing a few levels, I quickly learned this was a very enjoyable game.
    In most cases, I rely on TA for reviews, and user commentary, and youtube of course.
    Every other lite I've tried just left me feeling meh/indifferent so I never upgraded.

15. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    If I am interested in an app and there is a lite version available I will always try the lite version first. Unless the dev wants me to pay to try the lite version. I do not pay for lite versions. If I like the lite app I will always buy the full version.

Lite versions are tricky for developers to get right. They have to showcase the app and be interesting enough to tempt someone to buy the full version and yet not have too many features/levels/etc so that there is an incentive to upgrade to the full version.

Of course lite versions will not generate sales of the full version if the lite version:
    1) is full of bugs
    2) has awkward controls
    3) has poor production values
    4) was tried by someone who wasn't familar with the genre and gave it a go but didn't like it
    5) only differs from the full version by including ads. A lot of people are happy to use a lite version that is fully featured and will put up with the ads.

I've tried far too many lite versions with points 1, 2 and 3. And an awful lot of point 5. I think that these are the reasons why so many devs say that lite versions do not increase sales of full versions.

16. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    #16 gospel9, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    This really depends what you are trying to do with the lite version.
    Remember that a sale to a customer who feel disappointed or even angry with the purchase, resulting in a bad review would hurt your sales a lot more than if this was avoided through the lite version.

In this sense, providing a lite version is not just simple marketing. Effectively providing a limited free version of an app can reduce the number of bad reviews.

Assuming that the free version of your app does not take a lot of time to develop, then it is a win-win for both the developer and customer.

The MotionX Dice (variation of the MotionX Poker game) is a free download and ultimately has convinced me to get their real game at $4.99. When the company made Poker Quest, I thought that I was sure to not buy the same game again, yet the Lite version of Poker Quest has once again changed my mind.

Make sure your Lite version of your app fullfill its purpose: to give the users a reason to buy your app. Whether that's demostration of UI, function, performance, gameplay - these things should be in the demo.

17. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    one and ONLY one... FIREDROP DELUXE by xCUBE

18. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I don't think a lite version has ever made me want to buy a game. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to spending money on the app store, so I usually just base my purchases off reviews on this site, and if there is a lite version that just makes my decision either. I have never gotten a lite version of a game I have never heard of, thought it was great, and instantly purchased the full version

19. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I upgraded to the full version after playing Galcon lite and Tanzen lite.

20. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Santa Claus?!
    I have to say it's a combination replayability, "funness", and looks...