How many books does Stanza have?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Kamazar, Jan 5, 2009.

1. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Thank you very much for the help. Works perfectly now.

2. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Just as an aside, once you've done the above (and Stanza opens the catalog) you'll be at the 'Online Catalog' menu on the Stanza page. Scroll all the way down, past the 'direct downloads' field and you'll see a box for drinkmalk. Click that and away you go.

3. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I now officially have 168 books in my library :D
    ...I've only read 25 of them though.

4. Technologic

Technologic Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Stanza load times

I downloaded Atlas Shrugged, I know its a LONG book but, everytime I turn the program on to read, it it takes about 15-30 seconds to load, is this normal with all books.

BTW, I own 2 hard copies of Atlas Shrugged, (one large print), I also have it on cassette tape. but I have been wanting to read it again. I find I can read an ebook a lot faster than a paper back because I always have it with me.

If you haven't read this book, it is a MUST read. It is set in the time period where Railroads were the major industry, but it REALLY can be applied to today's world.

Great story, well written, almost like watching a movie!

5. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    Complete irony in the fact that I had downloaded it about 2 minutes before your post.

6. someone1guy

someone1guy Member

Jan 6, 2009
    This is not normal for 90% of books out. Atals Shrugged is just a huge book (1200-ish pages fine print, in paperback) with only 12 chapters, so that is a lot of text for Stanza to parse (read: chug through) when you open it. Not much I can do about it, sorry :(

But I agree, it is an excellent book (I meant to put it on "My Recommends"), relevant to what is happening in the here-and-now. That said, could have easily been chopped down to 700 pages with no loss in the story, just in the preach dialog.

7. Technologic

Technologic Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I'm willing to put up with a little delay, I'm just glad to get this as an ebook!!! Another great book by Ayn Rand is "We the Living". Really seems like we are headed in that direction!

Thanks!

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I'd be wary of this if I were you, drinkmalk guy. The legalities of what you're doing is sketchy at best. In some ways you are mass redistributing said books, which you may not have the right to do as it is directly protected by copyright. Be careful.

9. costanza

costanza Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  10. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    "I'd be wary of this if I were you, drinkmalk guy. The legalities of what you're doing is sketchy at best. In some ways you are mass redistributing said books, which you may not have the right to do as it is directly protected by copyright. Be careful."

I'm not an IP attorney, but I'd say if all those websites i.e. surfthechannel, quicksilverscreen, meyepop, etc can show television shows and movies without any consequences (hell, even megavideo is starting to CHARGE to show full movies, though this is easily circumvented by erasing your cookies/cache/history and reloading the film from where it's left off), then I wouldn't worry.

That said, you never know (look what happened to postpublic and you couldn't even save those movies/tv) so I'll probably be downloading enough books to last a very long time...just to be sure.

11. rudeboy690

rudeboy690 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    auto read

Anyone have any idea if Stanza or another app will have the abilty to read ebooks out loud? I do have audible.com, but it would be nice to have audible books that are sometimes not on audible but available ebooks.
    \
    Thanks

12. rudeboy690

Oct 31, 2008
    books

Sorry, another question...does anyone know how much space an average books uses appx., and is there a way to take Ebooks off iphone and put on computer and back and forth? Thanks

13. someone1guy

someone1guy Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Stanza doesn't read the book to you. The developers say that that is "in the works" but so has maintaining font formatting and embedded images during conversion of books for quite some time. Meaning, don't hold your breath.

An average book on my site (most without images) average 800kB-1MB per book. Some are as large as 2 meg and some as small as 250 kb.

14. rudeboy690

Oct 31, 2008
    thanks

Is there a way to get an ebook off the iphone and onto my mac, and vice versa.

15. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Anyone know enough about copyright protection to know if owning the print copy is enough to be ok legally from drinkmalk.com/stanza?

There's quite a few books on there that I want to download to reread at some point.

16. Wordslinger

Wordslinger Active Member

Dec 16, 2008
    I'm not a lawyer, but I would think it's considered illegal. If you buy a print version of a novel, you'd still have to pay to download the ebook version. The publisher isn't giving you both versions.

17. Technologic

Technologic Member

Dec 6, 2008
    #57 Technologic, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    Is this different than getting a book at the library (my public library lets us download ebooks)? or recording a TV show on a DVD or Video Tape?

18. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Stanza has a desktop app for mac where you sync and manage what ebooks are on the iPhone. You also use it for importing your own PDFs etc. You can delete ebooks from the iPhone app or via desktop app.

19. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #59 Vende, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    "Anyone know enough about copyright protection to know if owning the print copy is enough to be ok legally from drinkmalk.com/stanza?"

I am an attorney but have no idea if it's technically illegal or not (intellectual property law, especially in regards to internet downloading, is a very specialized and complicated field).

I'm sure we've all read reports of the music industry actually going after consumers, usually teens, who have downloaded music, and its won some judgments. Then again, there are tons of copyrighted clips on youtube that, despite Viacom's suit, have not been pulled. Perhaps the difference there is that in one case you actually have the songs on your hard drive (thus you now "own" this pirated material) and in the other, it's simply streaming and thus never actually saved to your computer.

Without doing any legal research on this matter, I would say that borrowing books at libraries legal because (1) it'sis perfectly acceptable as a matter of public policy (we want to encourage people to read) and (2) more importantly, I presume the author or publisher authorized these donations and since there is no actual sale, the library is not profitting off the author's work.

Regarding taping stuff, television networks pay studios to air movies and outside of sports, there are no explicit prohibitions about taping these programs. My guess is when the studios sell the movies, they lose ownership rights for those particular copies and thus viewers can tape them without reprisal.

A lot of the movie websites - surfthechannel, meyepop, freeprojectv - have some kind of disclaimer where they claim they are not violating any copyright laws because they're acting as intermediaries for the actual source (usually somewhere overseas which then complicates the situation as it's an outside server and thus not in US jurisdiction arguably, which then muddies copyright laws). Additionally, you can't usually save these films because they're all streaming, whereas I'm sure bittorrents are illegal due to your now actually "owning" the material once saved to your hard drive.

Phew.

20. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Just for the record, authors/publishers do not donate books to libraries - libraries pay for books, and are in fact one of the largest purchasers of hardcover books. So there is a financial reason for selling books to libraries as well as the hope that a reader will discover an author through borrowing a book and then will seek out (and buy) other books by that same author.