How many books does Stanza have?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Kamazar, Jan 5, 2009.

1. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

Remember, you can convert many file formats and upload them to the iPhone using Stanza Desktop (download it from their site). I've converted/exported PDF to text files, for instance. PDFs don't translate well into Stanza sometimes because of how text is formatted in PDFs, so converting them to text can help. This opens up the door to much more readable material.

Hope this helps.

2. firstprime

firstprime Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    president of awesome town!
    wexford, ireland
    thanks, thats just what i was looking for...:D

3. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Hah, all the Harry Potter Books. Snap, just like that! On my iphone for FREE.

Thanks for the site again

4. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    I was looking at the Fictionwise catalogue via. Stanza earlier. These are paid-for books so many newer titles are available. But, I can't believe the cost of these things! It's ridiculous. I was looking at Dune and it's $16.00 for the eBook version. I nearly choked.

5. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ebooks are definitely overpriced; luckily for you, the first book of Dune is on the drinkmalt site.

6. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Yes I know, I just have this kind of weird moral thingy going on where I pay for something if I want it and it's commercial. I'm odd, I know. *shrug*

7. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    FYI:

If you do the following:

"Open Stanza on your iPhone and click on Online Catalog.
    Tap the (+) in the lower right hand corner of the page.
    Tap Add Stanza Catalog.
    Type "BooksOnBoard" for the Name.
    Type "http://www.booksonboard.com/xml/catalog.atom" for the URL.
    Tap Save in the upper right hand corner."

Books tend to be a few bucks cheaper there compared to fictionwise. Dune is $13.44

8. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    BTW, This book is free through Feedbooks legally because of the Creative Commons license. There are quite a few good reads that are free and legal through feedbooks worth checking out.

9. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Yeah, I think most of Cory Doctorow's novels and short stories are on there as he releases them all under creative commons. Little Brother is an excellent read, as is Down And Out in the Magic Kingdom. Just finished reading Postsingular by Rudy Rucker which is again on Feeedbooks - the book's mad as a box of frogs but entertaining.

10. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks for that, still a ridiculous price. Until eBooks are more realistically priced I'll stick to buying dead tree versions.

11. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Have probably written half of them as well ;)

12. rudeboy690

rudeboy690 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    error

I keep getting server not resonding error on S1G's catalog??
    ANyone have the same error or how to get passed this?
    Thanks

13. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
  14. someone1guy

someone1guy Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Hi,

Saw some traffic coming from this forum and saw some folks were having issues with connecting to my catalog. Is this still happening? Perhaps the server was experiencing high load at the time. People have reported that if they try to download more than 2 books at a time Stanza starts spitting out errors. Also, The issue with the catalog may have been resolved earlier. May have been caused by an illegal character in the XML structure.

As for the link posted in the above post (the one that lists the books hosted on drinkmalk) you can no longer directly download books from the website (TOS rules and whatnot) so it has to be done thru the catalog. Sorry.

15. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ah! The guy that turned Stanza from being just "kind of" cool, to completely awesome! At least for me, it wasn't until I found the Stanza Catalogue site that I started getting really, really excited about the app.

But even before that, there are a lot of good free books offered through the online catalogue in the app, but for some reason not on the stanza.fictionwise site. I was initially very disappointed as I have no way to connect both my ipod and laptop to the same network, but when I found out I could do things directly from the ipod, bam! Happiness, haven't been able to put it down since.

16. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    I know I am being kind of thick about this but I can't figure out the process of downloading a book from the site. Could someone give me a step by step instruction on the process. I realize I need to add the catalog to stanza but I am unsure about what to put in the fields when adding and then where to go from there. Do I need to go to the site through safari? Very frustrating when you see the great books on the site.

17. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    If you mean the drink malk site, you need to go through safari, click on the link (book you want), and it automatically opens Stanza and starts downloading through there.

18. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uch, now I'm getting that error message since the previous method was disabled.

19. someone1guy

someone1guy Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Direct downloading from the drinkmalk.com WEBSITE is no longer available (hosting issue), however you may still download from the catalog.

To download from the catalog just click the link on the front page of www.drinkmalk.com. When Stanza opens to add the catalog, simply click the "Save" button on the upper-right of the screen. Don't edit the website address, as this will cause it not to work.

IF you did click that link earlier and it didn't auto-open Stanza, that is because Drupal changed the URL on me (didn't realize) so it wasn't working for the past day or so. Should work now though.

S1G

20. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Okay, now it's working flawlessly. Thanks a lot:)