How Long Does It Take You Guys To Build A Game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 1stSPIN, Nov 15, 2014.

1. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Don't kid yourself. It all comes down to making your idea a reality as soon as possible.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    That very much depends on your product.

I could bash a game out every couple of days if I wanted, however I wouldn't really be very proud of them.

I think basically you have some slightly different goals to some of the other developers here.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Can you give us links to some of the games you've developed in 2 or 3 days then ?

4. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    I find this to be rather aggressive and very untrue.

From another thread: this is one of 1stSPIN's games 2048v2. When I realized the kind of scope, I understood his turnaround times

On topic: On average I've seen about a 12 month turn around time for my games. The most was 20 months (I joined late in that project). Least was 5.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #45 psj3809, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    I'm sure its probably a decent game but to me its just another clone of that puzzle game where there are clones galore already. I dont think that app will sell 10000's and set the world alight. The thread sunk without a trace here with no replies to it.

Viewing the devs other apps i wouldnt say any of them are stunning. So yeah you could probably build an app in a few days but i'll be surprised if you get your money back with sales

Another app by the dev is 'Peniguin' ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=248289) which is obviously spelt wrong (Peniguin not Penguin). So i think you get what you pay for as the typo along in the title will put people off and i'm stunned no one spotted that.

Also i thought the dev was talking about honesty ? The dev name for the 2048 app is 'Lajo Cymbalski'. Then 'amazingly' the only review Peinguin has on the Android store is 5 stars from 'Lajo Cymbalski'

As someone who buys a lot of games i cant stand fake 5 star reviews, totally unprofessional and puts me off buying certain games. So to me you get what you pay for, get an app created in 2 days by an offshore company and dont expect the world. Dont mean to sound harsh on the dev but if you clone other games, add your own reviews and then claim how quick you can make the games i think you'll get some criticism

6. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian

Ketchapp's Stick Hero just turned the 5,000,000 corner. That tells me there is a place for larger games as yours may be and for quickies. The public is going to make the final decision which is a blessing to us all. Stick Hero is not more than 2 days of programming.

Peniquin is the correct name. I don't pick names unless I can www.---.com it. I had a few businesses that people .com-ed the name of products I developed and I think the name is cute.

I rated it openly, I don't hide and yes I think it is a 5 star but then again that is my opinion and you are entitled to your own. Please rate it as you feel if you download it. I believe in the benefit of good and bad ratings.

7. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    The game is free so I don't think you had taken your investigation too serious but don't worry a lot of people make comments on things they know very little about. If I am mistaken I will be very happy to refund your money for the download.

I noticed that many posts here about games go without comments. Years ago I was involved in a business and there were forums that were vibrant with comments. But that was years ago and it seems these day end users are looking elsewhere. Where is still a mystery to me but if there was a place I am sure you would be spending a lot of your time there so maybe this is as good as it gets.

I think one thing that everyone should take stock of and that is what this forum has to offer and group together to make it strong and a place for new developers to go to, old developers to continue coming back and of course get the end users flocking here to fill their appetite for new games and what is coming down the pipe.

Posting games here has one benefit that i proved a paper trail of the name, date, artwork etc on the creation of a new games.

8. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
  9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But didnt you develop it ? Of course you'll rate it 5 stars. Its like when devs rate their own threads here 5 stars which is useless for people looking to buy games as EVERY dev will rate their game 5 stars

Its great you can make apps so quickly for people but i dont think any of them are blockbusters (personally) and quite a few seem to be just copies of games which have done well

10. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    The most I've rated my own games is a 4, if I ever thought my game was a 5 then I wouldn't actually rate it at all. It is personal opinion yes, and based on what the game(s) set out to achieve rather than a measure of all things 'app'.

@1stSpin, I agree there are many advantages to old and new forum members visiting, but you really need to keep on top of your threads and shall we say, be less selective of which comments you deem as being worthy of an acknowledgement! Don't get me wrong here, it is easy to see others' mistakes and not of self. I for sure am far from perfect, but if you genuinely feel like a fully fledged dev and want to share without prejudice then you will understand that at the the end of the day you are what people perceive you as. Um, that was positive I think.

11. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Took me about 8 months to make Adventure To Fate. About 5 months fulltime (I quit my fulltime job to spend more time making the game). Honestly the game is pretty simple but I built it from scratch using only objective-c no scrpting Lang or game building frameworks.

12. Colonel_Novak

Colonel_Novak Active Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Took us 1 year and a half to do FoxOne. Two guys + one producer.
    Game was content completed in about one year, with an extra half a year on top of that just doing polishing.
    At the moment it is going pretty well only in the Android platform, I think that in the Android it doesn't face the competition from big brands such as Metal Storm in iOS.
    We also had some misunderstandings in the iTunes market regarding locked and unlocked planes and stages (the player just has to progress in the game to unlock stuff, no freemium, but some people thought it was somehow a freemium in disguise - which is not true, so we even added codes in latest version to unlock everything regardless of player's progress).

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Thanks for posting. I will try your game. Have you put any money in advertising it? If you can get you download number up to 50,000 you should start making some reasonable money.

14. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    As I mentioned before from the my limited research I believe our success comes from the public once your game reaches a critical mass of players which I believe to be about 10,000 to 50,000. If you can reach that fast by injecting cash to advertise your game the better. Then players will either stay and play and tell a friend or they will leave. If they stay and play, your game and your brand will rise making it easier for game 2. If they leave you crash and burn but you are not dead. You always get one more swing at the bat in this business.

I think what a lot of you are missing is the cash to spin the roulette wheel to see if you fly or die. There are many ways to get that cash. When I was in Canada I was able to raise the cash within a week or two. That in itself is an art. Knowing how to do that can remove all of the questions as to whether your game could have hit the charts if you only had.........

15. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013

I agree a small amount of advertising won't help that much. I considered putting 500-1K into an advertising budget but pretty much all the advice I got was that it was pointless unless I could put a fair bit more into it so I decided against it.

16. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    There was a time that you could be a fixed spot on a well traffic site for about $2,500. Everyday you would get exposure and at the end of the month your ad may have be seen a 1,000 or so times by about 50,000 to 100,000 end users. Today those type of sites have faded for whatever reason. Now fast mass exposure may only be available through google, iAd (Apple), facebook and a few others. But I don't think a budget of $10,000 is going to do it. These sites can eat $100 in a few seconds and players may have to see the same ad a few time and touch it a few times before they commit to a download. As the Beatles sang "It a long winding road"

17. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    Quite possibly it is, but when you're doing a clone of a clone, all the Design decisions have been made in advance.

I spend more than his turn around time just considering the different options for menu layouts! ;)

18. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #58 1stSPIN, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    I would hate to be standing behind you as you decide if want a Big Mac with or without fries. :D

Just took a look at your original ideas - Jurassic Park - Flintstones - Family Feud.... I hope you improved on them

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    looking at the last 2 projects i worked on it took several years and quite some funding.

Then of course the scope of the titles are not compareable to stick hero.

Of course cloning tiny acarde games is alot faster than for example building a sandbox mmorpg.

That piece of string can be quite long.......

20. Blackharon

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #60 Blackharon, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Feud is mine yup. I didn't work on JP or Flintstones.

Almost everything (except the game show bits) changed in FF2. If you want my full project list, drop me a PM.