How Long Does It Take You Guys To Build A Game

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 1stSPIN, Nov 15, 2014.

1. NelsonH

NelsonH Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Game Developer
    US
    #21 NelsonH, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    I think it depends on the type of game...

It took me about a month to create my game, it's puzzle based, but
    the development time came from creating the art assets and balancing the gameplay.

I just released it a few days ago, response has been pretty good - even without marketing and advertising.
    Naxus - http://www.nelsonhurst.com/games/naxus/

I've also worked with a team (12 people) to develop a FPS, it took us 9 months to create the first 3 levels - so it depends on the type of game you're developing.

My advice is, when you decide to make your first game, don't be too ambitious, just finish a game with good effort to see how long it takes. Then you can plan your development time for future projects.

2. Baptiste Villain

Baptiste Villain Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2014
    Paris, France
    I'm on a 3 to 6 months per game basis, with maybe an average of 3h or 4h per day on it. But I'm very strict with my schedule, if I don't meet expectations early enough, I drop the project not to spend years on it.

3. LordFoul

LordFoul Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 15, 2009
    Software Developer
    New Jersey
    Sounds familiar! I had my game working in 6 months, but I'm in year 3 or 4 now. I'm fairly certain it will be complete next year, though! Can't wait to release it, but not before it is ready.

4. 1stSPIN

1stSPIN Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #24 1stSPIN, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

I downloaded your game and it is a winner. Do you have a plan on how to promote the game?
    I played it as I waited for my pizza to be made and when I got home my son who is 9 also played it and had a lot of good things to say about it. Push you may have something good. The nice thing about puzzles games is their staying power. They don't fade so fast.

5. NelsonH

NelsonH Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Game Developer
    US
    Thanks, I'm still working on promoting it now. Marketing is a beast within itself. I did read an article on marketing if anyone is interested...

http://www.apptamin.com/blog/ultimate-guide-video-marketing/

The article is pretty insightful. We should start a new thread if we're going to discuss marketing ideas, don't want to get off topic. ;)

6. Xammond

Xammond Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2014
    UK
    I would always imagine an answer to such a question! Then I heard it said as "how long is a ball of string?", but still I imagine an answer. I think the best description of how long a proper job takes is "until it is done". Not so sure there are many of this breed.

To answer directly, I've spent between 6 months and a year on projects though the last few years have not seen any releases, so I would like to change that as the taps are dry.

7. inter.illusion

inter.illusion Well-Known Member

May 17, 2012
    Over and over I found the Parkinson's Law to be true. It states that "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion."

If you have a dateline to deliver your game in 6 month, that's what will take! Not a day less. That's why game jams tend to be so successful, you have a dateline.

If you don't have any dateline then it takes forever or until you get tired of working on it and cut it short to move into a more exciting project.

8. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    Thanks for the info. I will read it tomorrow

9. We have 3-4 people working together, it requires around 4-5 weeks to make a polished game, you can check the games from my signature. They work from 9am-6pm for 5 days a week.

10. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    You posted you are in Shenzhen, are you using Chinese or Foreigners to develop your games?

11. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    you don't have a signiture

12. M.O.

M.O. Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Well this last project has been part time, but around three years (yes that is to long).

13. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    This business if very fast. The conditions / opportunities that exist today may not exist in a month. I was building a website that has more than Alibaba has today. My programmer told me it would take 6 months. We hired the team and 3 years after it was not built and Alibaba surfaced and the opportunity was gone.

Cost me a little over $400,000 which in China is a good chunk of change.

The same thing happened with a Presta Shop type website.

Today with this project I can turn on a dime. Just got to solve some other unknowns but getting the product out is not problem.

14. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    Wow, your coder took you for a ride I think.

15. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    That was a full blown company and yes it was over priced.

I got quotes from American companies to build my apps for $17,000++ with a 45 day delivery. What do you think about that price? It was for a game not unlike the original 2048.

16. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I think it is in the ball park based purely on time.

If I was going to do it for someone I would of quoted less but I don't have the same overheads as a company. But yeah I don't think it is outrageous or anything based on what I know is spent on those sorts of things from my work.

17. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    #37 1stSPIN, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    My group can build it in 5 days. In 2 days we can produce a test game, modify it on the 3red, 2nd test game on the 4th day and polish ready to publish it on the 5th day.

Price in the business is not the key factory, it is how fast you can get the game out. If you have a successful game someone will make a version of it. You need to be able to come out with a v2 which is better than their game as soon as possible. If you need to wait 30 days you will lose all of your customers especially if it is one of the larger companies that targets your game. They have a large customer base and will come out of the gate with 500,000 downloads before you can wink an eye.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    From experience speed doesn't always mean quality. There are cheap offshore companies out there but there can be many issues or language issues

19. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    They would of probably would of had 1-2 people working on it rather than a group.

I don't think the speed you have got it out has helped. You are already very late on the 2048 scene.

You have picked an exceptionally simple game to copy however.

20. 1stSPIN

Nov 15, 2014
    Own 1stSPIN
    China / Canadian
    ;);)