iPad How important is "multiplayer" to you?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by byteclub, Jan 26, 2009.

?

When you buy games, how important is "multiplayer" and would you pay more for it?

1. Multiplayer is great, I can see myself paying more for it

53.3%
  2. It's nice, but I won't pay extra for it

24.0%
  3. I don't care for it

22.7%
  1. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    As a developer, I'd be very interested in the wisdom of the fine Touch Arcade crowd when it comes to the following question:

When you buy games for iPhone/iPod Touch, do you consider multiplayer features important? (obviously, doesn't apply to all games). If so, if you had two similar games (think various versions of chess, tic-tac-toe or even Bomberman vs Bomber Online), would you pay more for the one that supports multiplayer vs the one that doesn't?

Thanks in advance for your input :)

2. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    It depends on the game. If the game has a solid singleplayer mode it can be not so important, while a tic-tac-toe does not make sense to me without the online. Actually I am tempted to buy Uno solely on the basis of the multiplayer feature.

3. ourfinesth0ur

ourfinesth0ur Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Multiplayer adds a huge amount of replay value to a game. Once you finally beat the game you can spend that time just playing casually with people. People are always more fun and challenging to play than AI any day. If I was going to put money into a game on the app store, it would definitely be one with a fun multiplayer aspect to it. Think of what games like Galcon would be like without the multiplayer aspect to it. I can safely say that the games with multiplayer are the ones I always end up coming back to play in between classes.

4. ourfinesth0ur

ourfinesth0ur Active Member

Oct 8, 2008
    I believe that this "can" be true, but I would go as far as to say (most) games could benefit from a well done multiplayer for the very reasons I stated.

5. Skateboard313

Skateboard313 Active Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Honestly that's the first thing I look for about a game because that's what ultimately makes the game stand out! It's what makes me feel playing the game worth while because there's always 100% replay value

6. VWXYZ

VWXYZ Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    If a developer rreleased 3 version:

Lite (free, demo)
    Full (payed, full version)
    Super (payed ekstra, with multi-player)

I know quite a few games I would be willing to pay the ekstra for the multi-player, even games where I wouldn't be interested in single player.

I have a lot fo people to play with you see ;P

I prefer local multiplayer on a single iPod, but the other work too

7. Sierra275

Sierra275 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    nil
    Singapore
    Very true. You either have to make a very, very good single player, like Hero of Sparta, or come up with a very good multiplayer concept (UNO)or just very good multiplayer (Galcon). Sparta has an awesome single player mode. It's everything you could want in such a portable game for $9.99. UNO is, well, online UNO. Can't get better than that. Something I should bring up is that iShoot would absolutely flourish with a online multiplayer mode. *hint*. So it really depends on what kind of game you're looking to create.

8. Maeks

Maeks Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Means very little to me as a Touch user with little access to wi-fi. But I think it's a good feature, since I am in the minority probably with wi-fi coverage (and the iPhone...)so I think some games could really benefit from it.

However, I loathe when games are online only. It comes off as half a game to me.

9. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    For me ... most of the times i tend to play games is when my data connection is less available....

If i have a good data connection i'll be on web or twitter etc

10. LizArd

LizArd Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I am one of those who couldn't care less about multiplayer games. I enjoy playing with my friends but not with random people. More than that I actually play games to relax instead of competing and I like my quiet time when I play.

BUT - I know a lot of people love multiplayer games!

11. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    here's what I'm wondering, (I might post a poll in fact) for a game that DOES have multiplayer (racing/action games, or even simple card games tic/tac/toe etc) how important is "online" multiplayer?
    or would you usually just play with people nearby?

From what I see & hear with the iphone/touch, I suspect it may be that people just want to play with those nearby. But maybe thats due to not having too much availible to play worldwide yet?

12. ChrisJefferson

ChrisJefferson Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I do a lot of my playing on the bus or train, when going places, so my signal is often variable, and I need to stop quickly to get off :) So multiplayer is not so useful.

I don't know how well a turn-based game, where you could pick up and stop again would work on the iPhone, I used to play some in facebook, but they got annoying when people took days to take their turn.

13. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Personally, I use my iphone on the go when I have like 5 minutes or maybe 10 minutes here and there to play, so for my situation, obviously multiplayer has no purpose.

14. jupiter21

jupiter21 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    i think multiplay could help game like BIA, but in general its more important to have offline multiplayer. but it really depends on the game...

15. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Multiplayer on an iPhone should be quick and easy I guess, unlike console games where you can sit through an entire 20 minute match with the iPhone you are probably better off playing quick 2-3 minute online games just in case you have to leave the train or are only on a coffee break.

16. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    im not to fussed seen as i dont have wifi lol

17. ericxd

ericxd Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    multiplayer is great
    but only do it IF the dev is going to do it RIGHT
    no point of playing multiplayer when ur spiking like hell...like bomber online i dont even bother playing online cause it lags so much and i use WIFI at home for it still lags
    so until this problem is fix
    dun bother with multiplayer!

18. RM imagery

RM imagery Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Photographer (interiors, architecture, abstract ar
    Long Island, NY
    As said, it depends on the game. But me and my friend love playing Vector Ball with wi-fi multiplayer on our own phones. sweet.

19. byteclub

byteclub Member

Dec 30, 2008
    co-founder of ByteClub.com
    NYC
    It's awesome to hear all of your opinions, sounds like it all comes down to what games we are talking about and whether it's implemented well or not. I personally find Galcon online gameplay very enjoyable. On the other hand, games like Strategery or Lux Touch could be so much better if one could play against real people.

20. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Lux Touch would be hard to do multiplayer (wifi). It would take forever to choose countries.

btw, I love Scramboni